Sign in to follow this  
petey

Freeze Damage in S.Central Texas

petey

I don't know that this will prove of value to anyone, but here's the info:

Winter 2013--Veitchia Merrillii, anyway Christmas Palm---potted that year from seed. in plastic 16 oz cups, 2 leaves.

Put in an enclosure, 3 X 6', with a single layer plastic tarp, and a clamp-on 75W bulb, this arrangement under a 22' high overhang.

Temp dropped to 19 deg for about two hours---no damage. This was the coldest of quite a few below freezing nights. July 2014, these are in

larger pots now, and have 6 leaves.

On the other front---Pigmy date, in 3 gal pot, no cover, four trees in pot, pretty large leaf array. This sitting under a 20' overhang, in a shallow entryway--two trees died, two are growing. I'm sure those two, facing in toward the house.

It's odd how the two showing no new growth, have nice green old branch stubs, and green petioles, with still, partially green leaflets.

Denis

• Like 1

_Keith

Thanks for the update. All info is useful.

Austinpalm

Noticed the first cold damage of the season in my yard this morning. Hit 32F for maybe an hour. A few of the topmost leaves on Ipomea carnea, Odontonema callistachyum, Pereskia aculeata showed some burn this morning. We have had two nights already in which the temperature was predicted to hit mid to upper 20'sF. So far the clouds have been my friend and kept the temp right at or just abouve 32F. Hope everyone else has been as lucky.