IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My [(JxB) x B] x B

SailorBold

Nice looking JxB , is that the size you bought it or have you had it in the pot for a while?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Thanks.. That was the purchase size. Lots of roots almost root bound. (try not to disturb them even).... toughest leaves ever.. hardly move in a breeze.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Found a pic of one of the Jubaea that was at Fairchild TG. I took it from the Floridata plant encyclopedia page for Jubaea chilensis.

post-13669-0-20981200-1434032098.jpg

Here is the caption from Floridata "In 1997 I photographed this young specimen, one of several at Miami's Fairchild Tropical Garden. Sadly, garden staff determined them to be hybrids of Jubaea and they have since been removed."

I wonder why when they decided they were hybrids they removed all of them. Why not just change the label and keep one or two?

A link to the page where I borrowed the photo.

http://mobile.floridata.com/Plants/Arecacea/Jubaea%20chilensis/187

post-97-0-51377700-1434060054_thumb.jpg

Thanks...I bumped up the size for better view.

• Upvote 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I wish Merrill would chime in and give us some more detail.

Merrill passed away last year, David.

• 1 year later...
On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2015‎ ‎5‎:‎07‎:‎20‎, SailorBold said:

Here is a J X B newly planted... I spoke with Patric and he said the Butia crosses are more variable color-wise where-as Jubaea crosses tend to take on a more bluish hue. This palm overall out of my other crosses is extremely rough in texture..leaves are very hard.. and have a bluish tint. It reminds me of MattyB's Jubaea hybrid

Good looking hybrid.  I can confirm Patric's JxB comments.  I have 20 trunking JxB of which 5-6 that are very blue and the other dozen are dark green.  The bluer ones lean slightly towards a pindo look, and the greener ones towards Jubaea.  A few will undoubtly have VERY thick trunks, while other will be closer to an Odorata sized trunk.  However the growth rate on ALL of them is roughly the same as a Butia Odorata.  I'm interested to see how well yours handles sub 10F once it develops a trunk. 

• Upvote 1

I replied to an old reply evidentially.  My apologies.  Obviously the bluer tint held true as your hybrid appears to lean more towards the Butia look. 

1 hour ago, TexasColdHardyPalms said:

I replied to an old reply evidentially.  My apologies.  Obviously the bluer tint held true as your hybrid appears to lean more towards the Butia look. 

No worries..  I will have another update soon on my JXB.. 

Do you think its for sure a Hybrid?  While I think it is.. they can be a bit tricky.  I think David (AliceHunter) mentioned it looks like a Butia. 

I took a pic of the trunk this morning.  How can one discern the difference?

IMAG1986_1.jpg

I'll take a few pics side by side by side tonight and add to this thread.  I have every Jubaea/Butia hydrid combo except F2/F3.  As vigorous as your palm looks it should undoubtedly exhibit the folded leaflets.

I just saw the July 2016 photo and compared it with the July 2014 photo.  It hardly looks like the same tree.  It's five times the size!

7 hours ago, Sandy Loam said:

I just saw the July 2016 photo and compared it with the July 2014 photo.  It hardly looks like the same tree.  It's five times the size!

Its actually doing better than it was during the first year....  looking back.. I may have burned most of my palms with aluminum sulfate in my efforts to combat the alkaline soil and water conditions. It was a bad idea.. and with no experience didn't realize how strong that stuff is. Lesson learned. The palm is in a good unobstructed location with full sun doing just fine with consistent water.

The growth is really fast for being in the ground 2 years.. the trunk is getting really large like a basketball. Here's another view..

IMAG1989.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 10 months later...

Amazing growth SailorBold. I just put a 5g JxB F1 in the ground and I hope it will as well as yours. If you don't mind me asking, what do you use as a fertilizer and how often do you apply? Any root stimulator? How much, approx, do you water? Any cold spells yet?
:)

• 2 years later...

Bump @SailorBold any updates with this palm ? I have an opportunity to get one of these F3s so im definitely curious how yours is doing =) 

T J 

• 1 month later...

This palm was nearly completely defoliated... so it's still in recovery... first time I saw significant damage on it since it was planted.

20190911_193027.jpg

• Like 1

The trunk is very thick.. kind of hard to scale it... I'm attaching a pic of the temperatures that damaged it.  I have a real weather station and its mounted on a 14foot pole. The low I experienced was ~9f.. while it got above freezing during the day it wasnt significantly so..  but that was the worst of the winter.

20190131_115327_1548961049787.jpeg

It's still very hardy... the only winter damage I had was very very minor damage to spear leaflets twice..since I've had it. 

Here it is end of last year..

20181101_154341.jpg

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

@SailorBold 9F is pretty impressive for any palm but im guessing very dry lows tho right. I really like this palm !! 

It's very leaf hardy.. also one of my favorites. It was a snow event.. but dry right after. If it was a quick drop to 9f I'm sure it would have been unscathed...that storm.. definitely not unheard of here..was generally considered a bad freeze. Winters are short and very cold but that one hit right at the coldest time of year.

Wow, it's amazing that this palm was looking so good for having tolerated 9 degrees Fahrenheit.  That is insanely cold. 

I seem to recall seeing this palm a couple of years ago on PalmTalk (this thread, I guess?) and it wasn't nearly that big.  Nice growth!