IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating store bought husk less coconuts

JEFF IN MODESTO

Fabulous!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

Is the process different for a wild one? My son brought a coconut back from Fairchild, and i'd like to help him grow it. It's obviously not dehusked. Our soil is sand. Would it still need to soal in water in order to sprout?

Is the process different for a wild one? My son brought a coconut back from Fairchild, and i'd like to help him grow it. It's obviously not dehusked. Our soil is sand. Would it still need to soal in water in order to sprout?

Id just plant it half way up the husk in potting soil / perlite mix.

With grocery store cocos you have to protect the nut a bit till it gets big enough to plant ant treat like any other palm.

The grocery store coco in the pic above is one year from sprouting.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Ok here is one from today.

It's in a 5 gal pot outside since about March .

Thank you Jeff! It is real nice :) !

• 2 months later...

All these threads about germinating coco's made me want to "start up" some coconuts again. So I went to the market where I know a salesman who imports his fruits and veggies from Surinam. The imported boxes don't get any treatments like radiation, chilling or freezing like the stuff sold in supermakets here. I've had good results with his coconuts before, so I bought three coconuts which I thought looked good, fresh and clean.

When I got home I cleaned the nuts a little more of their fibers and husk remnants and put each of them in a little bowl with a layer of warm water just toughing the undersides of the nuts (please remember we're still talking about coconuts and nothing else). The 3 bowls were placed on a surface with some bottom heat and kept at a constant temperature of about 30 C degreeds.

After 5 days the first coconut opened it's active eye and germination was a fact. A few days later number 2 and 3 also opened and now all three of them are inside my propagator to form their first roots before I plant them in their pots. Any suggestions on potting soil for these nuts?

This is such a cool and easy thing to do, I can't just not do it...

www.facebook.com/#!/Totallycoconuts

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

All these threads about germinating coco's made me want to "start up" some coconuts again. So I went to the market where I know a salesman who imports his fruits and veggies from Surinam. The imported boxes don't get any treatments like radiation, chilling or freezing like the stuff sold in supermakets here. I've had good results with his coconuts before, so I bought three coconuts which I thought looked good, fresh and clean.

When I got home I cleaned the nuts a little more of their fibers and husk remnants and put each of them in a little bowl with a layer of warm water just toughing the undersides of the nuts (please remember we're still talking about coconuts and nothing else). The 3 bowls were placed on a surface with some bottom heat and kept at a constant temperature of about 30 C degreeds.

After 5 days the first coconut opened it's active eye and germination was a fact. A few days later number 2 and 3 also opened and now all three of them are inside my propagator to form their first roots before I plant them in their pots. Any suggestions on potting soil for these nuts?

Hello Kai, congrats on these germinations! As soil I would choose a pure mineral mix like coarse sand ±perlite ±Seramis or anything similar. The pH is no problem, here a pic of cooco babies in coral sand with sea water (very basic).

Cocos_Green_Island_1979-08-06_79D08-0464

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

Hello Kai, congrats on these germinations! As soil I would choose a pure mineral mix like coarse sand ±perlite ±Seramis or anything similar. The pH is no problem, here a pic of cooco babies in coral sand with sea water (very basic).

Thank you! I'm happy with the result so far. A coconuts chemistry is very special, with them being able to live off seawater as well as freshwater. I never had the guts to pour seawater in one of my potted coconut palms though, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. Lots and lots of elements present in seawater though...

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Thank you! I'm happy with the result so far. A coconuts chemistry is very special, with them being able to live off seawater as well as freshwater. I never had the guts to pour seawater in one of my potted coconut palms though, I'm not sure if that would be a good idea. Lots and lots of elements present in seawater though...

No, it didn’t mean that you should use salt water or something like that. I intended only to say, that coconuts are able to endure even bad condititons like sea water and don’t care about pH. – I myself used for my coconut pure granite grus. (That palm was growing too tall, so that I couldn’t keep it any longer.)

I do not want to spoil your joy, but abortion of lid on germination pore does not mean necessarily a successful germination. It may well come to liquidification of embryo.

Edited by Phoenikakias

I do not want to spoil your joy, but abortion of lid on germination pore does not mean necessarily a successful germination. It may well come to liquidification of embryo.

No problem Phoenikakias, all input is valuable right? I know I shouldn't light the cigar yet. They still have a crucial and dangerous period ahead. Still I am hopefull about these nuts. The one that germinated first has pushed out it's white "thingy" (come on Pal, I'm sure you have name for it) pretty far and I can actually see the first sign of a spear bulging on top of it like a little pimple. That does not appear like liquidification to me, but untill they are in the pot with roots growing, I should be carefull with expressing my joy, I know, I know.

When I get home tonight, I will upload a picture of it.

• Upvote 1

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

Certainly yes Kai! What you describe regarding the first nut all other than liquidification indicates; it is good that you start observing different parts on that 'thingy'. It it were only dried liquid, it would be amorphous.

Edited by Phoenikakias

Ok here is one from today.

It's in a 5 gal pot outside since about March .

post-116-0-44465100-1438472234_thumb.jpg

Jeff was kind enough to send me one of his extra coconuts. It looks like he sent me the same one that's in this pic.

IMG_20151019_16514.thumb.jpg.d1909321f1d

Unboxed it and put it in a nice soil mix as soon as I come home from work yesterday.

Edited by Danilopez89

Looks good!

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Certainly yes Kai! What you describe regarding the first nut all other than liquidification indicates; it is good that you start observing different parts on that 'thingy'. It it were only dried liquid, it would be amorphous.

As promised...

Looks a bit like some gross STD... Better leave the husk on and skip these stages right?

5626823516313_20151020_1906341.thumb.jpg

562682692bc6d_20151020_1906471.thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

As promised...

Looks a bit like some gross STD... Better leave the husk on and skip these stages right?

5626823516313_20151020_1906341.thumb.jpg

562682692bc6d_20151020_1906471.thumb.jpg

What you can see are the cotyledonary petioles and in one case (1st nut on the left) already the growing cotyledonary sheath.:greenthumb::D

• Upvote 1

I got this coconut at a local Indian market. It weighed almost 3 pounds so I thought it might grow into something interesting. This picture is about a month after I first bought it:

IMG_4299.jpg

A month later

IMG_4371.jpg

It's slowed down quite a bit since the temps are no longer in the 90's every day, but it's still growing. 

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

A little update

Looks a little upside down?

Yes Pal, that's what I thought. Do you think it's ok to turn it over, or should I just let it grow the way it wants to?

I don’t know too … :huh:

At first I thought the nut came from down under … :P

A little update

Looks a little upside down?

Yes Pal, that's what I thought. Do you think it's ok to turn it over, or should I just let it grow the way it wants to?

I'd turn it so it's right-side up again.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I turned it and actually potted it up, radicle down. I hope I get away with it. I fitted the pot in the propagator so the nut gets a little extra warmth through the winterdays. The temperature on my addic, where I overwinter my palms, gets sometimes a bit below 20 degrees C, so that would be a bit low for a coconut. This way the pot including nut is kept at approximately 30 C and it's pretty humid. That should do it although I'm not really sure about at what stage it will really start demanding light. There's not very much light inside of the propagator. I hope I get away with taking it out of the prop. around april and let it get used to sunlight through the living room window. I might have to do this sooner as the first plumule is already showing a little green coloration?

562e08fd30e02_20151026_1148521.thumb.jpg562e095dd30b0_20151026_1150031.thumb.jpg

20151026_114923[1].jpg

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this one in Laramie on a day when it was -25F outside, the area where the coconut was stored was cold too. Early in the summer it cracked, but I quickly sealed it with housing caulk and it's been growing great. 

2rhwsaq.jpg

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2015 7:50:59, Danilopez89 said:

Jeff was kind enough to send me one of his extra coconuts. It looks like he sent me the same one that's in this pic.

IMG_20151019_16514.thumb.jpg.d1909321f1d

Unboxed it and put it in a nice soil mix as soon as I come home from work yesterday.

My coco from Jeff is not doing well. Actually it's not doing anything period.

IMG_20151115_47790.thumb.jpg.5be7ab0c22f

Any thoughts on what I can do to help it? I was wondering if I should pull it out and soak the roots in a root growth solution. Maybe like superthrive...

Or should I just send it back to Jeff in Modesto? Lol:floor:

So here's a little update of my coconuts. Uploaded from mobile phone so not sure if it succeeds.

They're growing well, except for one which was visited by uncle fungus. Tried some H2O2 3% solution on it, but uncle decided to return for a second meal.

Also I noticed some root growth going down.

20151116_142822.thumb.jpg.51d87c5304fac0

Amsterdam,

The Netherlands

16 minutes ago, Kai said:

They're growing well, except for one which was visited by uncle fungus. Tried some H2O2 3% solution on it, but uncle decided to return for a second meal.

That’s the reason why I always recommend for coconuts pure mineral soil like coarse sand or something like granite grus (as I did for my coco).

What went Wong?

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

46 minutes ago, JEFF IN MODESTO said:

What went Wong?

I don't know Jeff. I marked  spear when I potted it and it never moved. It looked good until recently it began to get sunburned even though it get less sun now and only morning sun.

I pulled it out yesterday. Some of roots where soft but some looked like they where growing. I soaked the roots and potted it again. I doubt it will make it.:(

Well no big loss.

i had no place here to put it.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f