IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Heat and Humidity v. Heat without Humidity

bubba

My youngest son turned 21 on July 7, 2014 and he likes to plan trips that include my wife and I during his birthday. He does it all by himself and then informs his Mother and I of the itinerary. We ask no questions and provide no suggestions.

This year we left Palm Beach International for Phoenix, Arizona on July 2, 2014. He did a great job of using credit card points so we stayed at some great resorts and unknown to my son, the reason for the low expense was Phoenix and Palm Springs in July are not exactly "in season".

As a Floridian, it is interesting to compare Florida Summer heat to other regions. Phoenix was 110 F. with 10% relative humidity. Playing golf at 10:00 AM, I found Phoenix heat to be cooler and with a lower amount of sweat than I am used to in Florida. However, we get breezes that do tend to make the humidity more tolerable.

We next traveled to Palm Springs, Ca. on July 5, 2014. Palm Springs or La Quinta had a far greater humidity compared to Phoenix. The day I played golf, it was 113 F. with morning humidity of 35% that dropped to approximately 20% at the day's high of 113 F. There was no breeze. It was very hot even for a Floridian although I have experienced equally hot days in the Florida Summer when the high temperature was reported at 95 F.

For real perspective, however, you can look to Bender Qaasim, Somalia that has a Summer average high temperature of 105 F. with relative humidity of 61%. This combines for a temperature feel of 145 F. The absolute high reported at Bender Qaasim is 113 F. with 63% humidity for a real feel of over 160 F. No Breeze could make that tolerable!

We ended our trip in Beverley Hills, Ca. with the main goal a visit to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Ca. Our youngest purchased his first legal alcoholic beverage there on the morning of July 7, 2014. I hit balls latter that day at a fantastic municipal golf course and the temperature was around 80 F. It was outstanding to feel that out door air conditioning presented by the Pacific Current. It was temperature perfection. That is hard to beat.

As it relates to Florida Summer heat compared to the Summer Heat of the South Western Desert areas of California and Arizona, I believe coastal Florida with it's sea breezes are easier to take notwithstanding it's higher humidity. As you move to the interior of Florida, where Summer temperatures and humidity are higher together with no breeze, those areas will give the desert South West a run for their money for real feel heat all Summer long. That stated, Bender Qaasim, with it's range between real feel of 145 F. to 160 F. plus gives perspective to real heat.

On a side note, you Californians around the coastal areas with that out door air conditioning and low humidity do not realize how good you have it!

What you look for is what is looking

All of what you explained provides me a living! :winkie: (I fix heating and Air Conditioning in Southern California..)

However, as noted when its close to perfect outside nearly year round, I rarely am super busy. Glad you enjoyed your visit Bubba!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My youngest son turned 21 on July 7, 2014 and he likes to plan trips that include my wife and I during his birthday. He does it all by himself and then informs his Mother and I of the itinerary. We ask no questions and provide no suggestions.

This year we left Palm Beach International for Phoenix, Arizona on July 2, 2014. He did a great job of using credit card points so we stayed at some great resorts and unknown to my son, the reason for the low expense was Phoenix and Palm Springs in July are not exactly "in season".

As a Floridian, it is interesting to compare Florida Summer heat to other regions. Phoenix was 110 F. with 10% relative humidity. Playing golf at 10:00 AM, I found Phoenix heat to be cooler and with a lower amount of sweat than I am used to in Florida. However, we get breezes that do tend to make the humidity more tolerable.

We next traveled to Palm Springs, Ca. on July 5, 2014. Palm Springs or La Quinta had a far greater humidity compared to Phoenix. The day I played golf, it was 113 F. with morning humidity of 35% that dropped to approximately 20% at the day's high of 113 F. There was no breeze. It was very hot even for a Floridian although I have experienced equally hot days in the Florida Summer when the high temperature was reported at 95 F.

For real perspective, however, you can look to Bender Qaasim, Somalia that has a Summer average high temperature of 105 F. with relative humidity of 61%. This combines for a temperature feel of 145 F. The absolute high reported at Bender Qaasim is 113 F. with 63% humidity for a real feel of over 160 F. No Breeze could make that tolerable!

We ended our trip in Beverley Hills, Ca. with the main goal a visit to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, Ca. Our youngest purchased his first legal alcoholic beverage there on the morning of July 7, 2014. I hit balls latter that day at a fantastic municipal golf course and the temperature was around 80 F. It was outstanding to feel that out door air conditioning presented by the Pacific Current. It was temperature perfection. That is hard to beat.

As it relates to Florida Summer heat compared to the Summer Heat of the South Western Desert areas of California and Arizona, I believe coastal Florida with it's sea breezes are easier to take notwithstanding it's higher humidity. As you move to the interior of Florida, where Summer temperatures and humidity are higher together with no breeze, those areas will give the desert South West a run for their money for real feel heat all Summer long. That stated, Bender Qaasim, with it's range between real feel of 145 F. to 160 F. plus gives perspective to real heat.

On a side note, you Californians around the coastal areas with that out door air conditioning and low humidity do not realize how good you have it!

Oh yes we do know!

Having lived in San Berdoo and Riverside, oh yeah.

run screaming to the coast

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Give me humidity any day. What's a little sweat?

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Thanks for your perspective Bubba

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Yes I am with Daryl, give me humidity anyday...........definitely don't like the dry heat.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I much prefer the dry heat. When I visited Singapore I was so happy to leave and go to Bangalore. Bangalore is at 3,000 feet and was 15C in the Morning and 28C during the day and a lot drier. It feels so much nicer.

Here on the equator in the middle of the lowland Amazon rain forest humidity is definately a fact of life. We are now in the begining of the 4 month dry season. This is also when the humidity is at it's lowest, as if that is a factor that makes much difference. There is normally a dry air alert given here when the humidity hits under 40 percent in the daytime. But, the air temperture then is nornally running around 105 F. The rainy season is when the humidity normally stays above 80 percent. But, the days are often overcast and temperatures hover between 85 F and 90 F. The nights are mostly all the same with a low around 72 F. Although the South Florida climate is often similar to the one here. There is very little wind or breeze here which is a contrast to the trade winds across Florida.

Personally I do not mind sweating. But, it is important to have AC.

Looking at the weather bar in my profile right now at 6:25 AM it is 75 F with a relative humidity of 94 percent. This is pretty typical. I am going out for my normally 5 KM walk. It is a nice time of day as the equatorial sun is just coming out and it does not bake your brains yet.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I much prefer the dry heat. When I visited Singapore I was so happy to leave and go to Bangalore. Bangalore is at 3,000 feet and was 15C in the Morning and 28C during the day and a lot drier. It feels so much nicer.

Yes absolutely. My brain shuts down in heat and humidity.

We have 80-95% humidity and 30-36%C at the moment its its draining. We are a windy place too and right on the coast almost everywhere, the wind is like a hot steamy breath that offers no relief unless you are already wet with sweat then it evaporates a bit off your skin making you oh so ever fractionally cooler.

I live in aircon I move between an aircon car to an aircon building to another one, shops and malls are built linked by aircon passage ways throughout central so you can get away from it completely but step outside into the real air and you are a bucket of sweat in five seconds, shirt plastered to your body, erect nipples pertly showing through, your hair completely collapsed and sweat running down your back, even your scalp sweats. Just what you want when dressed in your business suit nice crisp white shirt and tie dashing off for a lunch meeting. So generally I avoid "outside" completely.

Different story back home. I have at last count seventy brand new plain white t-shirts from Muji, come in a handy pack of three, and more than twenty pairs of identical shorts a pile of undies that reach the sky. These I live in and will change sometimes more than six times a day. Go inside the house rip off everything leave it where it falls dry myself with a towel and get dressed again go out. Its like playing the Grand Finals at Wimbledon but all day. I don't even shower not enough time in the day. Occasionally it gets too much and I shed everything out in the garden and turn the hose which is connected to a mountain stream on me. Bliss icy cold cloud water, but if i do this its tickets i go back inside and stay there its just too nice.

So its sort of functioning but wow it takes energy like nothing else.

However in the dry heat I don't even sweat, I can breath nicely and I don't get exhausted. I remember hiking in Oman in the Middle East and i didn't even know it was ++40%C (104%F) that you would think was dangerously high but without the humidity its doable. Of course I had a hat with a back flap and was wearing lose flowing white cotton and rested under the odd tree but its just not as exhausting nor as dangerous as far as I can work out than heat plus humidity. Its very easy to lose too much body fluid when sweating in heat and humidity.

As such I love the drier climates for holidays Southern Spain, Greece etc a nice Mediterranean climate is such bliss, culture food etc. I like the tropics too but would love to garden in Andalusia as a retirement plan in land or on the coast it never goes bellow 11 or 12%c in winter only December January unless in the mountains. Flowers flowers flowers, blue skies, blue sea and long breezy siestas. My kind of heaven. Morocco Tunisia Africa just across the sea.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Ps to add to that night time temps are much nicer five or six degrees cooler as Brahea says. Sleeping in humid heat is horrible. I turn off all the aircon for sleeping otherwidse I get ichy throat and will turn into a dried fig.

Cerdic

Here on the equator in the middle of the lowland Amazon rain forest humidity is definately a fact of life. We are now in the begining of the 4 month dry season. This is also when the humidity is at it's lowest, as if that is a factor that makes much difference. There is normally a dry air alert given here when the humidity hits under 40 percent in the daytime. But, the air temperture then is nornally running around 105 F. The rainy season is when the humidity normally stays above 80 percent. But, the days are often overcast and temperatures hover between 85 F and 90 F. The nights are mostly all the same with a low around 72 F. Although the South Florida climate is often similar to the one here. There is very little wind or breeze here which is a contrast to the trade winds across Florida.

Personally I do not mind sweating. But, it is important to have AC.

Looking at the weather bar in my profile right now at 6:25 AM it is 75 F with a relative humidity of 94 percent. This is pretty typical. I am going out for my normally 5 KM walk. It is a nice time of day as the equatorial sun is just coming out and it does not bake your brains yet.

dk

Don, what you describe there sounds like perfect palm growing weather, but hell for humans. 105F? When I read those sorts of climate reports, I understand why the human primate is hairless and sweats. :)

The only circumstance in which I would trade in the nice dry California climate is for something like Hawaii's more humid climate because it remains so cool over there. Although I definitely prefer Hawaii's Winter conditions over Summer there.

Dean's got the perfect climate over at 2K feet on the Kona side.

Axel,

Yes it is pretty good palm growing climate. At least for palms that love heat and a lot of water. Actually the native poplulation here sweats a lot less than those who have immigrated from other climates. Although it is not as hot when hiking in the forest, one really sweats normally. I guess it is the high humidity in the air under the forest canopy. And, there is nothing like a cool forest stream on a hot day. It is amazing how cool the water in these streams normally is. Personally I do not notice the heat much any more. Of course my car has AC, my house has AC, and most businesses have AC these days. And, you do tend to pace yourself with the heat not to over do it. One of the worst climates I ever worked in was in fact in California. For a few years in the late 70's I worked on the ramp at SFO. And, much of that time was on swing shift. The wind blowing in from the coast was miserable many times. I lived in San Mateo which was great. What a difference a few miles makes in the bay area.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Axel,

Yes it is pretty good palm growing climate. At least for palms that love heat and a lot of water. Actually the native poplulation here sweats a lot less than those who have immigrated from other climates. Although it is not as hot when hiking in the forest, one really sweats normally. I guess it is the high humidity in the air under the forest canopy. And, there is nothing like a cool forest stream on a hot day. It is amazing how cool the water in these streams normally is. Personally I do not notice the heat much any more. Of course my car has AC, my house has AC, and most businesses have AC these days. And, you do tend to pace yourself with the heat not to over do it. One of the worst climates I ever worked in was in fact in California. For a few years in the late 70's I worked on the ramp at SFO. And, much of that time was on swing shift. The wind blowing in from the coast was miserable many times. I lived in San Mateo which was great. What a difference a few miles makes in the bay area.

dk

Aha! Another Norcal that escaped to the tropics. :) I could not live in San Francisco, it's too cold for me. San Mateo is nice but still too cold for me as well. Mountain view Southward is the sort of climate I like. Here in the Santa Cruz Mountains the weather is so chaotic there's no telling what you're gonna get. Any palm that can't handle temperature extremes isn't going to cut it here.

Axel,

dk

Locals have adapted to the climate and so do expats. The latter become somewhat sedentary. My problem is I cant take in enough liquids, I get what i call "tropical bloat" simply fom drinking so much icy drinks. The locals sip hot water and tea like butterflies. Having said that with the level of prosperity that exists in Hong Kong most people have moved into apartments bandoning village life. Only recently when a tiny plot of land 10 x 10 meters can cost you 50 000 000$ have they been returning but its mostly to renovate to rent to expats or try and sell to developers.

I live for the dry season the humidity plummets to a nice 60%, everything cools down and the rain stops, the sun shines people brighten up and palpably so, life moves in a completely different gear.

It is incredible how cool mountain streams are its true unfortunatly flash flooding is an issue in the wet season. To make this clearer to people we get regular warnings about loitering in and around streams. I have diverted one into my garden with piping that regularily gets washed away but I still manage to have a good flow all year with a series of reservoirs.

Hmmmm an oasis in the middle of the desert would be nice best of everything. One of the most incredible places i have ever visited was a mountain oasis in the Middle East, water traveling along ancient aquaducts carved into rock. Date plams up incredible terraces, brilliant stars and cool at night, hot and dry with plenty of cool water in the day.......no variations all year perfect, im sure you could plant tropicals eeeeeeasily. The wild life these places attract is incredible.

Completely inaccesable to vehicles of course but whats a day or three on foot hmmmm?

Cerdic

• 1 month later...

So, you aren't planning a trip to Somalia?

Ever been in UV index 14?

Its a reason why my skin is butter-like and healthy... almost porcelain really...

With seasonal actinic keratosis on my forearms.

Its hot I don't care what anyone argues. lol

Edited by SailorBold

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

Ever been in UV index 14?

Its a reason why my skin is butter-like and healthy... almost porcelain really...

With seasonal actinic keratosis on my forearms.

Its hot I don't care what anyone argues. lol

Our UV index (midday) is 13 currently - coming up to mid spring. Late winter it's about 11 and most of summer it's 15. But does energy in sunlight correlate directly with UV index? Afterall, sunlight is made up of a lot more than just UV. And different wave lengths have different penetrating ability through the atmosphere. Does anyone know if there is a correlation? High or low humidity would also affect the amount of solar energy getting through, although humidity is mainly in a very thin layer on the planets surface.

That's very high. I swear during midday I can get a burn in about 8 to 10 minutes outside. I normally wear baseball caps all the time and I do have a straw gardening hat- but my ears always get the singe. I really should wear sunscreen more often.

Wow.. was looking at a map of AUS and its worse where you are... even higher than the SW US and over a much wider area. Uv is destructive. Our monsoon season gives some relief but not much.

I suspect our lower humidity and higher altitude contributes to it...unsure.. Are solar panels a big thing where you are?

It has a severe effect on plant growth- currently reading on that- makes plants go dormant or something like that.

wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&pw

I don't believe any of you that say in dry heat you don't even sweat. When it is 47 degrees celsius combined with low humidity you sweat like a pig even when you're sitting still. Your sweat dries quickly when humidity is low therefore your body can cool itself more efficiently than it would if humidity was high. Visiting regions that have steamy weather is very novel for me but I don't enjoy that feeling of requiring a shower every half hour. Humidity is great for palms and orchids but not great for me.

I've lived in Puerto Rico as a kid, no air conditioning, Wyoming for hot, dry summers, Florida for hot, wet. I'd need to go back to PR to check out the summer weather, but their trade winds seem better than Florida's ineffectual sea breezes from July through September. It's actually possible to work productively outdoors in Florida in the summer, but very helpful to be in shade and to keep one's weight down. Being plump can cause heat exhaustion.

Most palms love summer wet spells. When we have a wet week or wet month (as this September was), palms produce lots of new leaves. They seem to tell real rain from irrigation water, so I'm surprised at how southern Californians manage to grow such good specimens.

Hot, dry heat means you can cool yourself by sweating and drinking lots of water. Not soda pop.

Portland, Oregon's cool, dry summers are nearly perfect.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

It just occurred to me that I do not even think about humidity any more. It is just a normal part of life. Like heat is as well. Well I do think about it an the heat when the power goes out and there is not access to fans or AC. In the country that is not too big an issue as you can always hang out in a hammock under a tree. But, in the city that is not quite as good an option. And, unfortunately the power goes out too frequently here.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg