IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Glenn Harris and Jeff Earl Gardens, Modesto, CA 10/11/2014.

ghar41

"Save the Date" for this upcoming meeting of the Northern California Palm Society. More information to come.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

My garden is getting fuller, Fruiting bananas, lychee, logan, with several ficus Dam,,Ficus Roxburgii, my dypsis decipiens has pick up its growth rate and is looking ... Bammm! So is the d.Baronii and many others.

Looking to share my piece of a waipahu tract home backyard, transplanted into cali -with fellow ips members.

See all of ya- oct 11, 2014

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

My garden is getting fuller, Fruiting bananas, lychee, logan, with several ficus Dam,,Ficus Roxburgii, my dypsis decipiens has pick up its growth rate and is looking ... Bammm! So is the d.Baronii and many others.

Looking to share my piece of a waipahu tract home backyard, transplanted into cali -with fellow ips members.

See all of ya- oct 11, 2014

Jeff and I are just a few blocks from each other, 5 minute drive. We will be posting a more complete description, with driving directions, soon.

Also add that Patrick Schaffer will be bringing a truckload of palms for sale, including many hybrids.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Glenn Harris and Jeff Earl Gardens, Modesto

Harris Garden

2000 Malcolm Way

Modesto, CA

Earl Garden

3720 Rotterdam Ave

Modesto, CA

October 11, 2014, 1-5pm

Glenn Harris Garden- The garden began with the purchase of the newly built house in 2002. Planting began on the West side of the house then continued on the East side after the construction of the pool in 2003. Originally I planted just about any palm I thought would grow here, then evaluated it’s place and purpose later. This led to many of the earliest plantings being removed. I did plant eight Queen palms and since then three have been removed. They all were instrumental in creating the current canopy that allows me to plant the mid and lower sections of the garden.

My original interest in the growing space on this lot was and remains the unique angles that are created by the placement of the house in relation to the fence that surrounds the property. This provides a west exposure that is very warm and is condusive to growing heat loving palms including Nannorops, Chamarops var. argenta, a rare Butia x Syagrus coronata hybrid as well as many cycads. The East exposure of the house has much shade and cooler microclimates for palms like Rhopolostylus and Dicksonia ferns. The collection includes palms from many genera including Brahea, Chamadorea, Dypsis, Trachycarpus, Chamerops, Rhapidophylum, Parajubaea, Jubaea, Butia, Syagrus, Alagoptera, Livistona, Licuala, Lytocarium, Rhopolostylus, Ravena, Arenga, others including hybrids. Many cycads are planted including Cycas, Dioon, Encephalartos, Lepidozamia, Ceratozamia and Macrozamia. Our last meeting here was in 2007.

A photojournal with older pictures of the garden can be viewed at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72316185@N03/8533474488/

We will have our pot luck meal, meeting and auction. Also, Patrick Shaffer is planning on bringing a pick up truck load of palms for sale (including hybrids.) He can be reached at coolhybrids@wildblue.net

Directions to Glenn’s House:

From the Bay Area- Take 580 East to I-205 East toward Tracy, Stockton. Go 15 miles and take the CA-120 East exit toward Manteca, Sonora. Go 6 miles to the CA-99 South exit. Go 8 miles and exit at Pelandale Avenue. Turn left on Pelandale, then go 2 miles down turn right on Prescott Rd. Take your first left on Snyder, then your first left again on Madison Point. Left on Dayton Ave. Right on Woodfall and right on Malcolm Way. I am the last house on the right.

From areas South- Coming up CA- 99 North take the exit at exit at Pelandale Avenue. Turn right on Pelandale, then go 2 miles down turn right on Prescott Rd. Take your first left on Snyder, then your first left again on Madison Point. Left on Dayton Ave. Right on Woodfall and right on Malcolm Way. I am the last house on the right.

Coming up I-5 North, take exit 428 towards Crows Landing. Turn right on to Fink Rd. towards Crows Landing. Go 21 miles and merge onto CA-99 North towards Sacramento. Go 7 miles to the exit at Pelandale Avenue. Turn right on Pelandale, then go 2 miles down turn right on Prescott Rd. Take your first left on Snyder, then your first left again on Madison Point. Left on Dayton Ave. Right on Woodfall and right on Malcolm Way. I am the last house on the right.

From areas North- Coming down CA- 99 South take the exit at exit at Pelandale Avenue. Turn left on Pelandale, then go 2 miles down turn right on Prescott Rd. Take your first left on Snyder, then your first left again on Madison Point. Left on Dayton Ave. Right on Woodfall and right on Malcolm Way. I am the last house on the right.

Coming down I-5 South, take exit 472 and merge on CA-4 East towards Downtown Stockton, Fresno. Stay to the left and merge onto CA-99 South. Go 10 miles and continue onto CA-120 West- keep to the left and continue to CA-99 South. Go 9 miles to the exit at Pelandale Avenue. Turn left on Pelandale, then go 2 miles down turn right on Prescott Rd. Take your first left on Snyder, then your first left again on Madison Point. Left on Dayton Ave. Right on Woodfall and right on Malcolm Way. I am the last house on the right.

Jeff Earl Garden- I started my garden shortly after moving to this home in 1995.

Growing space is severely limited on a tiny 4800 sq ft lot. But the close proximity to my neighbors homes has it's advantages as it gives me a little wind and frost protection.

My first love was tropical fruit gardening. This lead me into growing palms as I, like many other gardeners, find the exotic look good companions.

My garden is constantly evolving ,but palms include, Chamadorea, Dypsis, Euterpe, Lytrocarium, Rhopalostylis, Chambreyonia , Pritchardia , Becarriophoenix and others.

Tropical fruit include Banana, Guava, Macadamia, Lychee, Longan, Papaya and Ficus.

Directions to Jeff Earls house. From Glenn’s house head west on Malcolm, left on Woodfall, left on Dayton and a right on Madison Point. Take a right on Snyder Ave., the a left at the light on Prescott Rd. Then take your first left on Cheyenne and your first left on Rotterdam. Jeff's house is the fourth on the right. Look for the trunking Dypsis decipiens. The two garden’s are a 5 minute drive from each other.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

• 1 month later...

Bump this meeting thread. Contact Patrick for palms you are picking up here. Many auction plants expected including one gallon Brahea moorei and Nannorhops arabica seedlings. Also, Jeff's incredible gardening skills featured on television this morning. See you here!

http://gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/video/10536454-truck-tracker-pt-2/

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

• 1 month later...

Bump! Hope to see you all on Saturday!

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

I second that!

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

We'll be there!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I'm bringing a Dick Douglas Chamaerops 'mutant' for the auction,... a large 3-gallon plant.

San Francisco, California

I had a great time yesterday seeing everyone! The auction was especially good, with lots of plants and education too! Looking forward to next year's schedule!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

We would have liked to have made it out there this past weekend. We're the same Sunset zone and have enjoyed seeing photos from both of your gardens. Glad you had a nice weekend for it.

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14