IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone else have a Butia shaped like this one?

WestCoastGal

I don't see many butias in my area, not as popular of a palm tree I guess although it grows well here, but I have seen a number of photos of butias online. We have a second butia in our yard and it looks nothing like this one.

post-5191-0-31271200-1405042747_thumb.jp post-5191-0-04360200-1405042760_thumb.jp

Is anyone growing one that is similarly shaped (blue/gray with narrower trunk and very compact, short petiole, but thick leaflet strictor fronds)? It's flowering now (hard to see but visible in top third of second photo) and I doubt we'll be able to even get to it's flowers/fruit this go around as it is wedged in there pretty tightly. It's clearly different from everything else I've seen so I'm wondering what type Butia is. I've heard of Butia catarinensis and wondering if it could be that although none of the photos of the canopies look like ours.

Do you think the frond will lengthen overtime and become more recursive or stay short and straight (although there's nothing straight about these as they are all twisted)?

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Here's a few photos from last July:

post-5191-0-15124100-1405044478_thumb.jp post-5191-0-78434000-1405044492_thumb.jp

post-5191-0-07746900-1405044503_thumb.jp post-5191-0-00334600-1405044513_thumb.jp

If you compare last years photo of the palm to this year's, to me it just looks fuller with little difference.

Here's an example of the leaflet structure on the petiole:

post-5191-0-64761800-1405045164_thumb.jp

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

That's an unusual one. They are common here, and one of the most variable palms, with many different forms. That one, with its short, upright leaves is unlike most I've seen. Maybe yours is a var. "Strictior".

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

I have a few 3 gallon butias with that same unusual curved fronds as well? I was thinking some sort of butia hybrid. Yours sure has a fat trunk also and I like it whatever it may be. I am keeping the few I have.

I agree with Redbeard....strictor form. We see a few around here but not many. The regular recurved form is very common....strictor...not so much.

That's a nice one......looks burly.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil