Sign in to follow this  
WestCoastGal

Anyone else have a Butia shaped like this one?

WestCoastGal

I don't see many butias in my area, not as popular of a palm tree I guess although it grows well here, but I have seen a number of photos of butias online. We have a second butia in our yard and it looks nothing like this one.

post-5191-0-31271200-1405042747_thumb.jp post-5191-0-04360200-1405042760_thumb.jp

Is anyone growing one that is similarly shaped (blue/gray with narrower trunk and very compact, short petiole, but thick leaflet strictor fronds)? It's flowering now (hard to see but visible in top third of second photo) and I doubt we'll be able to even get to it's flowers/fruit this go around as it is wedged in there pretty tightly. It's clearly different from everything else I've seen so I'm wondering what type Butia is. I've heard of Butia catarinensis and wondering if it could be that although none of the photos of the canopies look like ours.

Do you think the frond will lengthen overtime and become more recursive or stay short and straight (although there's nothing straight about these as they are all twisted)?

WestCoastGal

Here's a few photos from last July:

post-5191-0-15124100-1405044478_thumb.jp post-5191-0-78434000-1405044492_thumb.jp

post-5191-0-07746900-1405044503_thumb.jp post-5191-0-00334600-1405044513_thumb.jp

If you compare last years photo of the palm to this year's, to me it just looks fuller with little difference.

Here's an example of the leaflet structure on the petiole:

post-5191-0-64761800-1405045164_thumb.jp

redbeard917

That's an unusual one. They are common here, and one of the most variable palms, with many different forms. That one, with its short, upright leaves is unlike most I've seen. Maybe yours is a var. "Strictior".

NorthFlpalmguy

I have a few 3 gallon butias with that same unusual curved fronds as well? I was thinking some sort of butia hybrid. Yours sure has a fat trunk also and I like it whatever it may be. I am keeping the few I have.

turfpro01

I have a couple in 45g pots. I got them from multiflora a few years ago. One of my favorite palms.

post-2010-0-18831700-1405089429_thumb.jp

Alicehunter2000

I agree with Redbeard....strictor form. We see a few around here but not many. The regular recurved form is very common....strictor...not so much.

That's a nice one......looks burly.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• 3 Milesfrom Gulf of Mexico
      By 3 Milesfrom Gulf of Mexico
      My archontophoenix alexandrae threw this spear about two years ago.  It is the stunted  leaf on the left side of the tree.  It's been a battle ever since.  Slow growing until this growing season.  The palm has thrown  three nice healthy looking spears in last three months.  The palm is about 8 years old.  Is this frizzle top?  Or could this be some type of viral infection the palm had.  The palm was planted as a seedling.  

• MSX
      By MSX
      Hello everyone! I've been into palms for quite some time but this is my first experience of watching a palm grow from seed, and it happened that this is a Butia. I've been following these recommendations Germinating Butia Seed By Nigel Kembrey. Chamaerops No. 51 - published online 22-04-2005. According to the recommendations, a seed starting soilless medium contains 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite. The medium was watered only once in the beginning before placing the nuts on the top of it, now it's almost bone dry to touch. Having spent nearly a month in a container (7 days of soaking + 21 days on the top of the medium) one of the seeds(nuts) have sprouted

Two more days and it pulls the nut up burying deeper into the perlite/vermiculite medium

The article mentioned above suggests the following: "I tend to allow the seedling to develop in the perlite until the leaf is visible, and then lift it out and pot it up. This gives the best survival ratio." So, my question - should I leave the nut like this until it develops the first small green leaf before transplanting it from the soilless medium to a separate container with a regular soil based medium? Or is it okay to move it in to the soil based medium right away? Thanks!
    • Cool Ritchie
      By Cool Ritchie
      Greetings,
      I need assistance in determining what type of hybridized Phoenix Reclinata palm this is on the photos. After doing some research, I see Reclinata and Sylvester. I'm fascinated with the branches/leaves that look like the Sylvester but multi stem like the Reclinata. Any comment or advise is much appreciated. Live in Central/West Florida.

• Collectorpalms
      By Collectorpalms
      Anyone having any luck with pure Butia in central Texas? Initially several of the largest in the area looked like they had some green in the center. However, now more than a month later they look worse. These experience around 5F. I must have had too much faith in their cold hardiness?
      Should they be trunk cut now that the green is fading? I am asking for someone who has 7 nice ones that is hesitating. Copper fungicide applied and last checked a couple weeks and only 1 spear pulled then.

• Dimovi
      By Dimovi
      I am unable to identify this Sabal. The seeds are super tiny even smaller than W. filifera.
      It is very cold hardy as the recent snow storm in Austin with temperatures down to the upper single digits did not have even the slightest hint of damage while most other sabal (except for minor) got significant foliar damage, the Mediterranean fan palms got defoliated and some were killed and even some Trachycarpus fortunei sustained damage.

The pictures below were taken exactly one year apart, so you can see the growth rate.
      Nov 2020

Nov 2019