IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal mauritiformis

RainForestt Robert

I love this photo with the sun rising in the background.  It's like the supreme beings stamp of approval.

DSCN2740.jpg

• Upvote 1

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Definately doesn't look like our sabals here.........cool photo.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Ken, S. mauritiformis is native to Trinidad.

Native setting for M. mauritiformis

DSCN2735.jpg

DSCN2739.jpg

• Upvote 1

great pics!i am being trained to click on any post with yer name because i know it will be worth it! :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Also native mauritiiformis, on the northern most end of its range, in Tamaulipas Mexico. This population was discovered by myself and 2 other board members(richtrav and Palmazon) in May of 2005.

IMG_7000.jpg

IMG_7008.jpg

IMG_7002.jpg

IMG_7004.jpg

Luckily, in this development, they left the palms when they were clearing for the new cabins. This is about 3 to 4 hundred yards from the Gulf of Mexico. And in true Mexican or other Latin american country fashion, they painted the trunks white like that.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

Sabal mauritiformis and yapa are the most tropical looking members of the genus, and definitely less cold-hardy than the rest. They're exquisite as young plants, a Licuala for cooler frost-free areas. I did nothing to protect mine during the recent California freeze, since they're reputed to be hardy to 25. I only got down to 29 for one night, and only 4 other nights 30-32, no dam-age to Howeas or Kings, but some of my mauritiformis are 20-30% burnt, so as young plants they apparently need protection. Needless to say, all my other Sabals are undamaged, including small yapas.

Zone 10a, at sea level, eastern shore of San Francisco Bay,where baymuck met dry land 100 years ago;  swampy  during the rainy season;rarely below 35F or above 95F;  Northern  California Chapter Vice-President and Oakland Lakeside Palmetum Director

• 3 weeks later...

Sabal mauritiformis and yapa are very nice looikiing tropical "style" sabals. I've been told that they have a skinnier trunk than most other sabals. Is that true? Which sabals have the largest diameter trunks?

Edwin

South Florida, USA

Mild sub tropical climate - USDA Zone 10

26.9 deg. North latitude

Altitude (5.1 M)  

Winter avg. temp (15.6 C)

Summer avg. temp (28.1 C)

Yearly Rainfall approx. (1270 mm)

(palman @ Mar. 27 2007,09:49)

Sabal mauritiformis and yapa are very nice looikiing tropical "style" sabals. I've been told that they have a skinnier trunk than most other sabals. Is that true? Which sabals have the largest diameter trunks?

Edwin

Yes, they have skinnier than normal trunks, but its normal sized trunks for the species. The thicker trunked ones are Sabal domingensis and causiara(causiarum)

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

I always have liked the look of Sabal mauritiiformis so I have a young one planted in the garden.  It's growing in a full sun location, pretty much on its own.  Here's what it looks like  . . .

post-90-1175031130_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al -- how old is that mauritiiformis? I have a seedling in the ground that's about 2 feet high and it appears to be growing very rapidly.

Punta Gorda, Fla.

26 53 N 82 02 W

on a large saltwater canal basin 1/2 mile from beautiful Charlotte Harbor 10A/10B microclimate (I hope)

Gordon, I planted that S. mauritiiformis (pic above) as a small 1-gallon size plant a little over 4 years ago.  As I said it has been pretty much on its own with little help from fertilizer or supplemental watering to speed up its growth.  When younger I did water it a few times when we were having an extended dry spell, however.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al -- mine gets supplemental water and fertilizer so there is some hope it will grow as fast as yours. Those mauritiis are amazing. I've never actually seen a mature one, but from the pics I've seen, like the ones on this thread, the crown is as big on a juvenile as on a mature. They seemingly spend their first five or ten years growing a crown and the rest of their time working on their trunks.

Punta Gorda, Fla.

26 53 N 82 02 W

on a large saltwater canal basin 1/2 mile from beautiful Charlotte Harbor 10A/10B microclimate (I hope)

Speaking of mauritiiformis, there is one that has been around since the 1980s at the old Fort Brown hotel in Brownsville (now the dormitories for UT-Brownsville).

This is the palm around 1988:

sabalftbrown-1988.jpg

This is the palm about 7 weeks after the '89 freeze:

sabalftbrown1990.jpg

This is the palm in 2005:

sabalftbrown2005.jpg

If you look closely at the last picture you can see the scar left from the '89 freeze, the rings appear more constricted. It also gives you an idea how much the palm grew in 15 years. It's a beautiful palm

S. mauritiiformis grows very well in central and south Florida and has some frost tolerance here.  As with most Sabal, it adapts well to our poor soil and appreciates the heat and humidity.  Given regular irrigation, it will grow much more quickly than others in the genus.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Here's a pic of the largest of the two Sabal Mauritiformis I have in the ground.

Sabalmauritiformis3-18-07-1.jpg

Roger

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

• 6 years later...

(palman @ Mar. 27 2007,09:49)

Edwin

Yes, they have skinnier than normal trunks, but its normal sized trunks for the species. The thicker trunked ones are Sabal domingensis and causiara(causiarum)

Zac

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen large specimens of all four species, and the trunks are nearly the same diameter in all of them. The three large Caribbean species are particularly difficult to tell apart.

Heres mine. Ive seen larger trees and they are awesome.

smauritiaformis_zpsfa9a9de0.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

That's a beauty Glenn (as are Roger's and Als).

I have one in a container that I want to plant next spring.

How old is yours?

Does it have some overhead cover?

What's to the left of your son (Livistona?)? That's another healthy looking palm.

Here is a recent shot of mine which was planted as a 5gal fifteen years ago.

post-370-0-71213900-1385701925_thumb.jpg

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

That's a beauty Glenn (as are Roger's and Als).

I have one in a container that I want to plant next spring.

How old is yours?

Does it have some overhead cover?

What's to the left of your son (Livistona?)? That's another healthy looking palm.

Hi Bob,

This one has been in the ground for many (6 or 7?) years from a 15 gallon I bought from Ray Laub. I have to let the hedge grow over it and cover it in the summer because it burns in the summer sun, so I don't get to see it very well during the summer. Its planted close to the swimming pool so it helps protect it in the winter although it can still burn. I throw a tarp over it when its below 30F. I tried them in shady areas that are protected in the summer but they died in the winter. It's not a very good palm for this area, takes a lot of maintenance. It is very slow growing. The palm next to it is Livistona saribus.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

This is my favorite species of Sabal. I love how the trunk looks, as well as the feathery leaves.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I love this photo with the sun rising in the background. It's like the supreme beings stamp of approval.

DSCN2740.jpg

Amazing picture!!! Lee

I always have liked the look of Sabal mauritiiformis so I have a young one planted in the garden. It's growing in a full sun location, pretty much on its own. Here's what it looks like . . .

Beautiful color and so healthy - what fertilizer are you using Al? Lee

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.