IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis baronii - show us some pictures

Tyrone

P1060015.jpg

Exactly the same size plants and growing in the same light conditions, although one was old stock and one recent stock as one was the old price and one new more expensive price.

Edited by pigafetta
  • Upvote 3

• 10 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 7/6/2014 at 8:04 AM, olivier971 said:

in le Parc des Palmiers, Reunion island :

GBPIX_photo_563382.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563383.jpg

GBPIX_photo_563384.jpg

Olivier,

Found this post of yours from 2014.  Thank you!  Finally saw a close up of a baronii that looks like mine.

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Was never sure if mine was a baronii or not. At least I now can associate with one.934D6ED1-0E78-4991-8746-5DED1815EE3C.thumb.jpeg.5aebe032151966328dce58bfcbd97b50.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

• 6 months later...

Hi there, 

Ive got 21 D baronii sprouts growing which came in the mail. Any tips on care from other growers appreciated. Living in Dunedin NZ. Difficult to get perlite etc ATM with the covid lockdown but making do with what I have to keep these wee ones healthy and alive. Keeping these ones out of direct sun and warm so mostly inside at this time of year (late Autumn).

Not much of a photo but got to start sonewhere hey? :)

cheers

20200510_205024.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Phil Petersen said:

Hi there, 

Ive got 21 D baronii sprouts growing which came in the mail. Any tips on care from other growers appreciated. Living in Dunedin NZ. Difficult to get perlite etc ATM with the covid lockdown but making do with what I have to keep these wee ones healthy and alive. Keeping these ones out of direct sun and warm so mostly inside at this time of year (late Autumn).

cheers

20200510_205024.jpg

Hey Phil, I’ve actually just purchased seeds and waiting germination. They are experiencing fluctuating temperatures 17-30+ Celsius but I’ve read they may prefer cooler temperatures to germinate? How did you germinate yours? 

7 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

Phil, Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

Thanks Darold, Palmtalk looks like a cornucopia of knowledge, experience and a great community  

9 hours ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Hey Phil, I’ve actually just purchased seeds and waiting germination. They are experiencing fluctuating temperatures 17-30+ Celsius but I’ve read they may prefer cooler temperatures to germinate? How did you germinate yours? 

Hi there, I got mine in the mail as sprouts pre-germinated so didn't have to germinate. I'm a real novice with palms so wouldn't know if it is good information or not but found this link the other day which seems on the surface to be helpful for propagation and germination techniques/methods.  The guy who germinated mine used a baggie technique.

https://www.junglemusic.net/palmadvice/palms-seed-germination.htm

3 minutes ago, Phil Petersen said:

Hi there, I got mine in the mail as sprouts pre-germinated so didn't have to germinate. I'm a real novice with palms so wouldn't know if it is good information or not but found this link the other day which seems on the surface to be helpful for propagation and germination techniques/methods.  The guy who germinated mine used a baggie technique.

https://www.junglemusic.net/palmadvice/palms-seed-germination.htm

Thank you for that, great site.

23 minutes ago, Plantasexoticas said:

Thank you for that, great site.

No problem, apologies I cant be of help with the specific temperature matter. The person who germinated mine is on this forum I beleive (Gary in NZ). So he may see this and chime in with some tips on germination temp. Cheers

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Phil Petersen said:

No problem, apologies I cant be of help with the specific temperature matter. The person who germinated mine is on this forum I beleive (Gary in NZ). So he may see this and chime in with some tips on germination temp. Cheers

Ah that’s ok! You’ve been helpful. I’m trying that at different temperatures so hopefully I’ll get some to germinate 

• 1 year later...

Where is the best place to purchase a Dypsis Baronii? 

im located in northern CA 

Welcome to Palmtalk !  :)

You are welcome to visit my garden (with mask use),  I can offer you a free 1-gallon Dypsis baronii grown from RPS seed.  PM me for details.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2020 at 10:47 PM, Plantasexoticas said:

On 5/10/2020 at 8:56 PM, Phil Petersen said:

Hi there, 

cheers

20200510_205024.jpg

Hi again, 

Have been feeding with the odd sheep pellet and will likely pot up when I start seeing roots out the bottom.

Thinking of hardening to the sun slightly over winter as they are in a cool, shady nook atm with over head vegetation. Any advice on that appreciated. While Dunedin is surprisingly in zone 10b due to a mild average winter minimum, we get mostly cool temps all year. Maybe some more solar exposure would help warm their cockles and keep growth going?

Also growing R baueri, and R Sapida (mainland and oceana) outside. They are easy and vigorous! 

Cheers all!

20210615_172625.jpg

20210615_172533.jpg

• Upvote 2