IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis baronii - show us some pictures

Tyrone

Here's one that can be some fun. I love D baronii, but struggled to grow it in my place up in Perth. They grew fine through winter but needed deep shade in summer due to the heat and even then struggled. I've now moved to the south of the state where it's quite a bit cooler and now it's time for D baronii to shine for me. I've got a few small plants that I've brought with me and they seem happy. But I've just bought a few thousand seed to plant this property up with hundreds of them. My plan is that wherever you see a clumping palm in my new garden, it's going to be a D baronii (or something similar). So I feel like looking at pictures of D baronii to inspire me and what better place to find them but here.

So if you want too, show us your Dypsis baronii. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Tyrone

I have two Dypsis baronii planted together on the sw side of my house .They are still opening new fronds in the middle of winter down here ( average 13 C days 6 C nights ) .

post-1252-0-43145300-1404521057_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-27542700-1404521070_thumb.jp

post-1252-0-16732600-1404521085_thumb.jp

I remember seeing Darold Petty's magnificent specimen in his front yard and given his cool climate that is what inspired me to plant one .

Here is Darold Petty's Baroni aver age Summer Temps 14 - 19 C and overcast

post-1252-0-38769600-1404521475_thumb.jp

Hope this helps

Tassie Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hello Tyrone,

I have a few of these but most are in pots. The one in the ground lived through that 46.3 degree day Melbourne endured a few years back in midday sun, without any issues. One of my favourite palms for Melbourne.

I am surprised that the baronii does not show up in nurseries often in Melbourne. The 2 potted ones came from Palms for Brisbane last year.

Regards, roger

post-7463-0-71877900-1404528364_thumb.jp

post-7463-0-70672300-1404528464_thumb.jp

post-7463-0-89491700-1404528508_thumb.jp

Climatic Zone: Vile..

Here is one of my growing numbers of dypsis baronii. I agree with Tyrone, I plant them where ever I can. But I try to get different forms, so I always look to pick some up from distinct seed batches.

Matty thinks this is onilahensis, could be, but it's not the droopy form if it is, and this palm is a rocket for me. Every Morning there is an inch or two of white showing up on the spears, that's always nice to see. i think this one is done dividing, so it's going upwards.

20140625_095810_zps7cgmuzui.jpg

20140625_095822_zpsyr2okuut.jpg

Like Troy, mine keeps growing through Winter. It even grew right through our December freeze, it's definitely a sweater palm, also totally under-planted in the Bay area.

Very nice guys. Some of the forms get some awesome colouring going on too. I think this is one species I will just keep collecting just in case I get a different form. Also for cooler areas they are the perfect palm for that tropical resort look. :)

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Great shots guys. Troy and Axel, those are looking great. Roger, your large inground one is a beauty. I actually planted my first baronii today! Only a 140mm pot but fairly colourful. pics soon

Very nice guys. 100lbs of seed!!! What a little reproducer.

I've noticed that every shot of this one so far has them protected by something. Do these like some sort of protection, or is that just the way they happen to have been planted. I know the guys in NZ say they need wind protection.

Thanks for the compliment NApalm - the palm is planted "behind" the L. peroffskyana you have previously commented on.

Gonzer, awesome baronii!

Tyronne, I am not qualified to comment on a baronii's specific needs. However in Melbourne both the summer northerly winds, and the winter SW - NW winds are the enemy. I use fences, gates, buildings etc to block these winds from my garden!!

Has anyone out there got any unusually coloured baronii's - if so pictures would be good please.

Climatic Zone: Vile..

This one has a dark stem to it there are a lot variations of dypsis baroni.

attachicon.gif100_7731.jpg

:drool:

Only a little fella but looking very forward to watching this baronii grow

attachicon.gifIMG_7950.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_7951.JPG

I love the reds these things put out at times.

Here's my Dypis Boronii which I planted way back in 1998 from a 4" pot. It probably hasn't grown as well as it should have with several big palms planted closeby. Not that it matters, because it not exactly my favorite palm - sorry.

289d8w0.jpg

• Upvote 1

Baronii is one of my favorites.

Here's the Monster, which guards my front door.

It has 17 - 19 trunks and is set to set seed again this year.

post-208-0-65438600-1404663925_thumb.jpg

The base of the trunks with the Shoe for scale. (American SIze 13, 32 cm/12.%5 long)

post-208-0-14705700-1404664003_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Right next to the Monster is the Runt, which only has two trunks and is only about 1/10 the size, I suspect in large part because the bigger palm rather engulfs it.

post-208-0-87060200-1404664109_thumb.jpg

Here's a picture with both trunks to show comparison.

post-208-0-52872700-1404664161_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Here's the bulwark, these were planted in 2002 from 5 galloners. All have 2-4 trunks, and have seeded in the past, but, not this year.

post-208-0-40455900-1404664277_thumb.jpg

This one BS Man called a "short-leaf Baronii" which definitely has short leaves, compared to the average baronii.

post-208-0-75836900-1404664401_thumb.jpg

Close up of trunk

post-208-0-51989700-1404664425_thumb.jpg

Dypsis baronii is the only Dypsis to grow well for me. I have not obtained satisfactory growth with D. albofarinosa, heteromorhpa, or onilahensis. D. ambositrae seems promising, but it is too early to make judgement.
Here are four of my D. baronii plants. This one is nine years in the ground form a small 5-gallon plant. It has 129 cm of trunk and 24 leafbase scars on the larger trunk. The circumference at the soil line is 36 cm, and the diameter of the larger trunk is 7.4 cm. post-31-0-75859700-1404706275_thumb.jpgpost-31-0-35111000-1404706314_thumb.jpg
The second plant is approximately the same size and age, and is showing a hint of the first spadix.post-31-0-30242000-1404706675_thumb.jpg
I recently added a third plant beneath the first one. The older one has lemon-peach tones in the leafbase and petioles. The smaller one shows reddish-maroon color.post-31-0-86732700-1404706844_thumb.jpgpost-31-0-38855300-1404706873_thumb.jpg

The fourth palm is the D. baronii 'black petiole', distributed by Jeff Marcus. I feel honored that Jeff sold me some of this form. The plant is about 40 cm tall in a cylindrical pot 150mmx180mm. This small plant has already begun to sucker.post-31-0-01518600-1404707008_thumb.jpg
Postscript: TassieTroy insisted that I contribute to this thread ! :winkie:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Darold, I would say those are a success! Too early to tell if they will do well for you? Nah.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Darold, I think you should try onilahensis again, there's considerable variation with them, and mine grow quite well. Albofarinosa grows for me but really slowly. Heteromorpha is not growing at all. Another good one is psammophila.

It took a while to get acclimated to sun, but now it's loving it

post-126-0-15425300-1404712134_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Thanks for chiming in Darold !

If i had not seen Darolds Dypsis baroni i would have never entertained the idea of growing one down here in chilly Tasmania .

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Here is one in my garden in San Francisco - they do grow well here. I'm in a bit warmer part of town than Darold. This was a a two stem half-gallon in 2005 and I was growing it larger to plant out in the garden. I like where it's at in the garden, and the place I was going to plant it has been taken by a Pritchardia, so it will stay in a pot indefinitely. It is in the most exposed part of my back garden and gets half-day sun. Sometimes in the winter the fronds will brown-tip a bit during our coldest months, but it is pretty much trouble free here.

post-3374-0-54068700-1404775373_thumb.jp

post-3374-0-25160600-1404775389_thumb.jp

post-3374-0-37060400-1404775402_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Thom -- San Francisco, CA -- Eastern Slope of Twin Peaks

Do the various baronii forms grow true from seed, or is there much seeding variation in each batch? I've been wondering this in particular about stem number and diameter, after observing a group in a friends garden. The ones in near full shade had single fat trunks, while those out into the sun had multiple thin trunks. It might be a chance genetic placement, but it sure gave the impression of environmental factors at play. Anyone else noticed this?

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Here is a clump that was growing at Leu Gardens. A couple years ago it was crushed by a tree that fell during a severe summer storm. It never grew back from the roots even though some other nearby clustering palms also were crushed but grew back (Bactris, Wallichia, Arenga, Dypsis).

c426.jpg

• Upvote 2

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Here is a clump that was growing at Leu Gardens. A couple years ago it was crushed by a tree that fell during a severe summer storm. It never grew back from the roots even though some other nearby clustering palms also were crushed but grew back (Bactris, Wallichia, Arenga, Dypsis).

c426.jpg

Yeah, they don't pup from the base. Instead, they split and if hit, they die. Alas.

Lutescens, on the other hand, will often recover from such a mishap by regrowing from the base.

Well after a stressful day at work, it's nice to sit down with a glass of red and take a look at the D baronii pictures you've all posted. I can't wait to get my seed down and get lots of little D baronii's popping in my new nursery area. By the time that happens it will be spring and everything will be all right. :)

• Upvote 1

This is one of my favorite Dypsis. I love the delicate soft colorations on both the trunk and the crownshaft and the graceful fall of the fronds. This one went in the ground in 2011 and has thrived ever since. It hasnt missed a beat through rain or drought. It is flowering right now and has a beautiful inflorescence.

Lee

post-3412-0-78760900-1405590376_thumb.jp

post-3412-0-79337300-1405590361_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

Lee

Located at 1500' elevation in Kona on the west side of the Big Island of Hawaii.

Average annual rainfall is about 60"; temperature around 80 degrees.

This is one of my favorite Dypsis. I love the delicate soft colorations on both the trunk and the crownshaft and the graceful fall of the fronds. This one went in the ground in 2011 and has thrived ever since. It hasnt missed a beat through rain or drought. It is flowering right now and has a beautiful inflorescence.

Lee

attachicon.gifDypsis-b2.jpg

attachicon.gifDypsis-b1.jpg

I love it. That inflorescence is fantastic. A picture perfect baronii. :)

• 2 months later...

Well a couple of months later my D baronii are popping out of there seeds in my cold frame (tin shed with plastic translucent roof). Temps can get into the 30's in there during the day at the moment and then drop into the teens at night. I ended up with about 2500 seed so I'm going to have a lot of potting up when they open their first leaf. My battered Pinangas seem to like the shed too. Eventually I'll build a big cold frame to house my touchy Pinangas. But the D baroniis will have to go outside where they should enjoy the temps most of the year anyway.

Pip, I am not the best at using the search feature but maybe you searched from the main menu page? I think you need to be in the discussing palm trees worldwide page ( with all the current threads listed in front of you ) then use the search bar.... That way you are only searching through the discussing palm tree threads which is where you will find what your looking for

attachicon.gif013760bf5383cc3a23fe228789befeb24cd7a28af3.jpgThis is my baronii , not clumping but looks great .

It sure does. The rest of your garden showing in that shot looks interesting too.