IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pritchardia sp.?

Sabal Steve

Minor, I'd think. Such a great plant.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I thought P. minor as well, but solely by the size of the plant. Just seemed so much proportionally smaller. I've actually had no luck finding these in SD, but, I haven't looked all too hard. I'll have extras if anyone local wants to pick one up.

Thanks for the help

Minor. I've collected seed from there too but didn't have any luck getting them to pop. I got a p.minor but for the life of me I can't remember where I got it from. I think I got it from the quaman.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Floribunda has had them recently; Ron Lawyer has some bigger ones as well. Really cool palm.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

I've met Mark a few times, real nice guy. Uncommon stuff at great prices. I pretty much just go to him and Joe D. He practically gave me a Pritchardia napalensis, but I didn't have the room for it, so I gave it to a friend.

I'm interested in minor, because I believe it grows slower, and my other palms would outpace it. Plus, it's nice and compact, and I thought that the leaf undersides had a bit of color?

Edited by Sabal Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Sabal minor's leaf undersides are quite silvery-satin, coppery when younger.

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

There's nothing like coming across a beautiful palm laden with fresh seed. :drool:

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Minor. I've collected seed from there too but didn't have any luck getting them to pop. I got a p.minor but for the life of me I can't remember where I got it from. I think I got it from the quaman.

Let me know if you want one. They've started germinating.

There's nothing like coming across a beautiful palm laden with fresh seed. :drool:

Isn't it! San Diego is great, there's always something germinating it seems. We really have a great selection of public plantings. I bet there's around a hundred species at Balboa alone.

• 2 months later...

Pritchardia napaliensis, endemic to the island of Kauai, is listed as an endangered species and any seed collecting from the very few plants in habitat is prohibited yet I've heard it said that rats eat most of them. So I guess anyone growing this species from seed must be getting them from sources outside Hawaii or there are some trees in cultivation here that others are not aware of or being told about. Then too "they" say any seed that comes from outside habitat could very well be a hybrid but then again there's no real proof how easily Pritchardias might hybridize, it's all conjecture. So . . .

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Pritchardia napaliensis, endemic to the island of Kauai, is listed as an endangered species and any seed collecting from the very few plants in habitat is prohibited yet I've heard it said that rats eat most of them. So I guess anyone growing this species from seed must be getting them from sources outside Hawaii or there are some trees in cultivation here that others are not aware of or being told about. Then too "they" say any seed that comes from outside habitat could very well be a hybrid but then again there's no real proof how easily Pritchardias might hybridize, it's all conjecture. So . . .

The seed was ripe on these. I believe about 50% of the seeds that I collected germinated; they were somewhat troublesome to clean. I bought a P. napaliensis from a guy named Mark in Oceanside. I believe that he had a few of them. It was a strong grower, and seemed less reliant on K. I gave it to a friend.

The zoo has a number of Pritchardia varieties throughout. They have some really impressive mature palms there.

So no on P. minor? I thought that we had this one nailed down.

Edited by Sabal Steve