IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Does anyone know how to keep raccoons away!!!!

Stevetoad

10 hours ago, Hammer said:

Don't recall if you have any, but watch out.  They have been known to kill dogs.

No dogs, but thanks. These guys don't seem to scare too easily, but one definitely didn't like the hose. :D

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt in OC said:

No dogs, but thanks. These guys don't seem to scare too easily, but one definitely didn't like the hose. :D

:greenthumb:

On 6/30/2014, 8:35:07, Stevetoad said:

I've been at war with raccoons. They get into my little pond eat the fish and destroy all the plants in there. As of this week they discovered a taste for bromeliads and went ahead and destroyed a good chunk of mine. I've been live trapping them for over a year and they just keep coming. I've caught about 25 or more. I've been releasing them about 3 miles away and am thinking they are coming back. So now I'm going to take me with me to work and let them go 33 miles away. I DO NOT want to kill them. I just want them out of my yard.

I had no problems with raccoons eating goldfish at my former home because my pond there was 18" deep and they won't go into water at that depth apparently. At my current place I broadcast granulated (pig) bloodmeal over my planting areas. It's a nice acidic fertilizer and the smell seems to deter animals like raccoons and squirrels. At least so far....

Here is my raccoon repellant, 80 pounds of lean, muscular, male dog ! 

Caleb is so tuned in to yard intruders that the raccoon scent wafting in the third-story bedroom window will wake him up from a sound sleep.

(Then I wake up when he charges out into the garden in full cry to confront the raccoons.)  :mrlooney:

caleb 040.jpg

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

Keep in mind, not only can raccoons carry Rabies.. There's also that other thing they can transmit called Raccoon Roundworm and yes, you, the kids, and your pets can pick it up. You might not ever want them around once you look up exactly what these Parasites can do. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Indiana growing up I had a vegetable garden,  as per a old mans advice, I got some leg hold traps and just laid them around the garden, handled them

once i a while, never set them of course, but it kept the raccoon away. 

• 3 weeks later...

This ought to dobthe trick and its pretty quiet so the neighbors won't be complaining 

20161114_080838.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 5 years later...

If you want to get rid of the raccoon permanently, your best bet is to trap it and then release it far away from your property. Trapping a raccoon is not as difficult as you might think, but it does require some patience and careful planning

Translocation of trapped, wild animals is not legal in California.  Scroll down to read the section 'trapping' in this link.

http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74116.html#:~:text=The California Department of Fish and Game Regulations prohibit the,Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Allice,   Welcome to Palmtalk !   :)

San Francisco, California

On 12/7/2022 at 12:08 AM, Allice said:

If you want to get rid of the raccoon permanently, your best bet is to trap it and then release it far away from your property. Trapping a raccoon is not as difficult as you might think, but it does require some patience and careful planning

https://gardenprofy.com/how-to-keep-raccoons-out-of-garden/

you have the time and resources, building a crop cage is one of the most effective ways to keep raccoons out of your garden. Here are some tips:

• Make sure the cage is tall enough so that raccoons can’t climb over it. A good height is at least six feet.
  • The cage should be made out of sturdy materials that raccoons can’t break or chew through, such as metal or hard plastic.
  • The mesh size of the cage should be small enough so that raccoons can’t reach through it and steal your crops. A good rule of thumb is an opening that’s no bigger than two inches wide.
  • To further deter raccoons, you can line the bottom of the cage with things that raccoons don’t like, such as sharp rocks or chicken wire