IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newport Beach coconut pics

Xenon

well done, does my recent photo bringing it back to attention earn me a right to wear the t shirt ?

Only if you gave it a dose of yellow fertilizer while you were there.

At least Wal made the pilgrimage to this famous palm. You were blocks away and blew it off :bummed:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

dead-horse_zps2137ba0e.gif

:floor::floor::floor:

It sure is a sad day if it does go. This winter was so warm with hardly any typical cool weather that coconuts over most parts of southern cali should have survived. Im with some, lack of care and water with such a warm and not so typically cool winter weakened it leaving it vulnerable. I had to water my palms more this winter because of the warmth and lack of rain than years past

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever anyone says - it is the most famous single palm specimen in the world of any species. I hope it lives.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it will be there for many years. And if it will not make it they should plant another one at the same place. We know that it's very difficult to grow the coconut palm out of their limits but people should not give up trying to grow one in places like South Cal. I'm growing one here in Paphos, Cyprus and it's been in the ground for a little bit more than 2 years. I stills have to protect it because is small but it passed through some cold and wet soil because of my fault without any damage. I'm not sure of the variety but I hope to grow it for sometime. Paphos is 34.4N and our winters are simillar to South Cal. It rarely drops below 46F (maybe 1 or 2 nights in February) and no frost.

I hope it will be there for many years. And if it will not make it they should plant another one at the same place. We know that it's very difficult to grow the coconut palm out of their limits but people should not give up trying to grow one in places like South Cal. I'm growing one here in Paphos, Cyprus and it's been in the ground for a little bit more than 2 years. I stills have to protect it because is small but it passed through some cold and wet soil because of my fault without any damage. I'm not sure of the variety but I hope to grow it for sometime. Paphos is 34.4N and our winters are simillar to South Cal. It rarely drops below 46F (maybe 1 or 2 nights in February) and no frost.

Pictures please, I would love to see this palm.

Let me save you the trouble of going to the previous page in this thread. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/42386-newport-beach-coconut-pics/page-2#entry656007

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I think it's time that the Newport Coconut got the chop to end it's suffering ! :innocent:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I think it's time that the Newport Coconut got the chop to end it's suffering ! :innocent:

Troy!!! Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?!

Troy, I am sure Pogobob will still send you seeds even if you secretly hope the Newport coconut will live on. :)

I hope it will be there for many years. And if it will not make it they should plant another one at the same place. We know that it's very difficult to grow the coconut palm out of their limits but people should not give up trying to grow one in places like South Cal. I'm growing one here in Paphos, Cyprus and it's been in the ground for a little bit more than 2 years. I stills have to protect it because is small but it passed through some cold and wet soil because of my fault without any damage. I'm not sure of the variety but I hope to grow it for sometime. Paphos is 34.4N and our winters are similar to South Cal. It rarely drops below 46F (maybe 1 or 2 nights in February) and no frost.

Here are some photos.

post-9419-0-86417100-1408525096_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-93145600-1408525162_thumb.jp

post-9419-0-52035100-1408525168_thumb.jp

Troy, I am sure Pogobob will still send you seeds even if you secretly hope the Newport coconut will live on. :)

I have too many seedling from him already !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Let me save you the trouble of going to the previous page in this thread. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/42386-newport-beach-coconut-pics/page-2#entry656007

Thanks for your rude sarcastic reply, but that is quite clearly the Newport palm and not the one that Stelios is growing in Paphos, Cyprus, which I quoted.

I hope it will be there for many years. And if it will not make it they should plant another one at the same place. We know that it's very difficult to grow the coconut palm out of their limits but people should not give up trying to grow one in places like South Cal. I'm growing one here in Paphos, Cyprus and it's been in the ground for a little bit more than 2 years. I stills have to protect it because is small but it passed through some cold and wet soil because of my fault without any damage. I'm not sure of the variety but I hope to grow it for sometime. Paphos is 34.4N and our winters are similar to South Cal. It rarely drops below 46F (maybe 1 or 2 nights in February) and no frost.

Here are some photos.

That's looking great Stelios!!!! I look forward to updates, how many fronds has it pushed out this year?

Here are some photos.

That's looking great Stelios!!!! I look forward to updates, how many fronds has it pushed out this year?

So far three and there is a new spear now. Maybe until November it will have five. Then it stops during the winter until about April.

• Upvote 1

Whatever anyone says - it is the most famous single palm specimen in the world of any species. I hope it lives.

Alex - Not sure if its the most famous in the world. Hyophorbe amaricaulis may hold that distinction.

Certainly the most talked about single palm on this forum. :)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Thanks for your rude sarcastic reply, but that is quite clearly the Newport palm and not the one that Stelios is growing in Paphos, Cyprus, which I quoted.

My apologies for the way it was taken. It was not intent to be rude.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith rude? I don't think that's even possible.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Keith rude? I don't think that's even possible.

I think the fact he didn't bother to read what I requested photos of ( which was Stelios's palm in Paphos Cyprus) and instead presumed I wanted to see photos of the Newport palm which I have have seen photo's of in other threads including this one, and was therefore aware they were on the previous page of this post. I found this insulting and the nature of the post extremely sarcastic and it was clearly intended to be sarcastic.

Edited by cheshirepalms

At the risk of sticking my nose where it doesn't belong...

I know when I look at a thread title and am reading the content too fast I make assumptions about certain questions/comments. When I go back later and reread them, the context changes. I think that may have been the case with Keith here. I agree with Jim. Keith is a very nice guy. You may have sensed some snark but I can't imagine Keith talking down to or looking down to anyone.

If he apologized, which it seems he did, I personally would accept that at face value. Fwiw.

At the risk of sticking my nose where it doesn't belong...

I know when I look at a thread title and am reading the content too fast I make assumptions about certain questions/comments. When I go back later and reread them, the context changes. I think that may have been the case with Keith here. I agree with Jim. Keith is a very nice guy. You may have sensed some snark but I can't imagine Keith talking down to or looking down to anyone.

If he apologized, which it seems he did, I personally would accept that at face value. Fwiw.

I here what your saying, granted.

People are often misunderstood on PalmTalk. I have been on both sides of it, being misunderstood and misunderstanding the post of others. We have many nationalities and and even more cultural differences here, and let's face it, our personalities run the entire gamut of human types. I don't always ponder enough on how something I type will be interpreted. I have been active on PT for many years, been a while since I looked, but last time I did I was the 9th most active all time poster. And in those 7 or 8 or however many thousands of posts, with only a couple of notable exceptions, its all been good. And with those individuals we communicated in private until we knew each other well enough to interpret words as they were meant.

And yes, I changed jobs last year. I travel a lot, and I mean a lot, where I never did before in my entire life. And I am no spring chicken and working harder than I did 20 years ago, so I don't post nearly as often. When I do it is usually a hit and run, like now. .I am sitting in a hotel 1500 miles from home typing this before going back to work in my hotel room till around midnight and having to appear at our client's office at 8am. I'll do it again tomorrow night before catching a 5:30am flight home. A few minutes on PT every now and then to look at palms and read the commentary keeps my sanity. I used to read every new post, every day. I did take a little longer on this post to compose it right. Hopefully it will be understood.

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I went by today. Unfortunately, life got in the way this summer and I could not make it nearly as often as I had wanted.

I filled the 15-gal. tree watering bag for what may be the last time and left it.

I'm sorry to say the palm didn't look at all improved and may have even looked worse. The new spear looked stunted and was frayed at the tip. There was more discoloration close to the crown.

Thanks all for the advise, but she is likely a goner.

So, this was close, even with next to zero care. Who has a similar microclimate to give it a go? Surely somebody has a nice warm west facing wall made of some material that would hold some heat.

So, this was close, even with next to zero care. Who has a similar microclimate to give it a go? Surely somebody has a nice warm west facing wall made of some material that would hold some heat.

Funny you should mention it. I've got a spot just like that. DoomsDave got a visual a couple weeks ago. Next spring the adventure begins.

It's a bummer that this palm is a goner, it's by far one of the most photographed palm in California and it would have been a great achievement if it was successful. I don't understand the "schadenfreude" that's been displayed in this thread. Why wish for its demise?

You can't expect a borderline palm to make it in a street planting without special care and on top of it make it compete with a washingtonia. If that had been someone's backyard, that palm would be thriving because it would have gotten plenty of water and fertilizer. People should keep trying.

It's a bummer that this palm is a goner, it's by far one of the most photographed palm in California and it would have been a great achievement if it was successful. I don't understand the "schadenfreude" that's been displayed in this thread. Why wish for its demise?

You can't expect a borderline palm to make it in a street planting without special care and on top of it make it compete with a washingtonia. If that had been someone's backyard, that palm would be thriving because it would have gotten plenty of water and fertilizer. People should keep trying.

Right on, Axel!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Was across the street from the Del Mar Coconut planted by Steve way back... so I snapped this pic. Looks to be doing ok. :D

post-27-0-70494600-1411786122_thumb.jpg

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Was across the street from the Del Mar Coconut planted by Steve way back... so I snapped this pic. Looks to be doing ok. :D

attachicon.gif20140916_185127.jpg

It looks better than other recent pics I've seen!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Coconuts that suffer serious cold damage sometimes make full recoveries. Sometimes not. Our winter of 2011, the coldest since 1942, killed a lot of coconuts.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

The Newport Beach Coconut palm with it's long run, sure gives me hope for my Corpus Christi coconut palms. Even though this is a marginal climate for them here in South Texas (the east side of Corpus Christi near the water being the northern most limit for them in Texas), we do have somewhat milder and drier winters oveall than Southern California, even though we have the occasional freeze here. After cold spells here, we warm up pretty fast back to the 60's and 70's for highs, with an occasional high in the low to mid 80's in winter, whereas as S. California stays chilly and damp for a few straight months.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos of my two Green Malayan Dwarfs in my front yard, which faces east towards the Laguna Madre, which is .6 of a mile east of my yard, and the Gulf of Mexico about another 6 to 7 miles east from there. These photos are from a few months ago. I will try to get some new photos posted on here soon. The one closest to the house has put out 4 new leaves just in the last two months!

John

post-1223-0-44817500-1411867285.jpg

post-1223-0-83407900-1411867302.jpg

I've been once a week for the past three weeks, taking it what water I can transport (5-6 gal.) as well as some slow release palm fertilizer. I also hit it with some fungicide in the crown my first time there. Today I finally got my water bag situation sorted out and I left it with a 15 gal. bag slow-draining that will hopefully be there next time I stop by.

I just joined PT yesterday, based on a google search for "california coconut." It looks like I found the right place! I think it's awesome that you nutters :mrlooney: will sneak onto someone else's property to water and fertilize someone else's tree. And potentially assassinate a competitor, too.

So has anyone seen the tree lately?

Welcome to the forum!

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 2 weeks later...

The Newport Beach Coconut palm with it's long run, sure gives me hope for my Corpus Christi coconut palms. Even though this is a marginal climate for them here in South Texas (the east side of Corpus Christi near the water being the northern most limit for them in Texas), we do have somewhat milder and drier winters oveall than Southern California, even though we have the occasional freeze here. After cold spells here, we warm up pretty fast back to the 60's and 70's for highs, with an occasional high in the low to mid 80's in winter, whereas as S. California stays chilly and damp for a few straight months.

Anyway, here are a couple of photos of my two Green Malayan Dwarfs in my front yard, which faces east towards the Laguna Madre, which is .6 of a mile east of my yard, and the Gulf of Mexico about another 6 to 7 miles east from there. These photos are from a few months ago. I will try to get some new photos posted on here soon. The one closest to the house has put out 4 new leaves just in the last two months!

John

Very nice! :) I was in San Antonio back in September and I had the biggest urge to drive down to Corpus and further down to the RGV to spot some coconuts...time was a constraint, however...best of luck with your cocos!

El_Dorado.gif

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone seen the tree lately?

I was driving back from San Diego to Los Angeles this weekend, so I had time to make my pilgrimage to the Newport Beach coconut. Here it is:

NewportCoconut1.jpg

It's not going to impress anyone these days, but nor does it look like it's dying. It's got a spear going up right now:

NewportCoconut3.jpg

And someone's been watering it :D:

NewportCoconutWaterBag.jpg