IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newport Beach coconut pics

Xenon

I've seen a lot of near death palms be brought back to their former glory and it's wonderful to see the "rescue" result in a happy palm. Some were very marginal for the area palms too. I've done the same for a few of my client's palms where certified "arborists" had actually been doing much more harm than good.

I say don't let nature take its course since, if that were our motto in drought stricken CA, we'd have thousands of dying palms, not just this Cocos crying out for help.

Big difference between saving a palm dying from lack of water and one dying from fungus. This is clearly a rot issue - perhaps brought on by lack of water. Look at the 'neck-down' of the crown and look at the last green frond going brown with the tell tale sign of fungus.

But hey, if someone wants to put their time into throwing water down they should also hit it with a systematic fungicide and copper.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I've seen a lot of near death palms be brought back to their former glory and it's wonderful to see the "rescue" result in a happy palm. Some were very marginal for the area palms too. I've done the same for a few of my client's palms where certified "arborists" had actually been doing much more harm than good.

I say don't let nature take its course since, if that were our motto in drought stricken CA, we'd have thousands of dying palms, not just this Cocos crying out for help.

Big difference between saving a palm dying from lack of water and one dying from fungus. This is clearly a rot issue - perhaps brought on by lack of water. Look at the 'neck-down' of the crown and look at the last green frond going brown with the tell tale sign of fungus.

But hey, if someone wants to put their time into throwing water down they should also hit it with a systematic fungicide and copper.

Agree! Water and fungicide. A lot of us in CA are used to fungicide after winter's wrath and we're all used to having to irrigate 3/4 of the year too.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Agree! Water and fungicide. A lot of us in CA are used to fungicide after winter's wrath and we're all used to having to irrigate 3/4 of the year too.

Jim, you are always so optimistic :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Hey Len, You're talking to the guy growing Marojejya darianii, Wodyetia, Roystonea, Gaussia, Pinanga, etc., etc., etc. way up here in Nor Cal. I'm often blamed of being WAY too optimistic.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Hey Len, You're talking to the guy growing Marojejya darianii, Wodyetia, Roystonea, Gaussia, Pinanga, etc., etc., etc. way up here in Nor Cal. I'm often blamed of being WAY too optimistic.

I know. That was part of my point. Good on ya. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

make it down there tomorrow and will try and go twice a week with 15 gal. each.

Like trying to rescue a sea lion that's been bitten by a Great White...let nature take her course.

Well, Gonzer, you don't get a T-shirt then.

If this coconut survives, I will buy Matthew a T-shirt, it's already designed.

ScreenShot2014-07-02at120339PM_zpsee96e0

Like trying to rescue a sea lion that's been bitten by a Great White...let nature take her course.

That's alright Axel, I don't wear T's anyway. But I will say there sure does seem to be a plethora of Mother Theresa's on board here.

Love it! :greenthumb:

Yeah. If I lived in the area I'd give it some help along. It wouldn't take much time. If it survived to recover to former glory then what an achievement for such a famous coconut.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I might as well post an update for those interested.

I've been once a week for the past three weeks, taking it what water I can transport (5-6 gal.) as well as some slow release palm fertilizer. I also hit it with some fungicide in the crown my first time there. Today I finally got my water bag situation sorted out and I left it with a 15 gal. bag slow-draining that will hopefully be there next time I stop by.

For whatever reason, I didn't take pictures the first visit but here are some from July 11th:

post-9980-0-52211700-1405715250_thumb.jp

post-9980-0-86497900-1405715258_thumb.jp

That's promising. If it could just get a little more energy going before winter comes back!!!!

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Ah, Friar, best on ya for trying.

We'll have to give you a St. Jude . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

well done, does my recent photo bringing it back to attention earn me a right to wear the t shirt ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

well done, does my recent photo bringing it back to attention earn me a right to wear the t shirt ?

Only if you gave it a dose of yellow fertilizer while you were there.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

scionfriar, You're a champion. :)

Well done. Let's hope it pulls through.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hello All My Fellow Coconut Palm Lovers,

I agree with what others have said on this post. As a grower of coconut palms in a marginal climate (Corpus Christi, Texas), I am kind of becoming an expert in helping them to grow where they otherwise might not, and to recover from conditions that might otherwise do them in . I think that it is a combination of things. First the usually chilly damp winters take their toll on the palm each winter, but it can survive and even recover from normal winters there as it has proven for many years. Therefore, using a copper based fungicide, such as Bonide (approved for organic horticulture) would be good. Apply it thoroughly to the crown and upper part of the trunk just under the crown 3 times over the next 6 weeks, about two weeks apart for each application. If you use Bonide, mix one ounce of fungicide with a gallon of water, and after mixing thoroughly, apply with a sprayer thoroughly wetting the leaves and especially the central part of the crown.

Secondly, I think it is lacking a good fertilizer. I recommend an ALL ORGANIC slow release with all the essential micronutrients (these should include Boron, and essential micro for palms to recover from cold damage). I use MicroLife 6-2-4, with 70 micronutrients that is specifically formulated for the Texas Gulf Coast, but I am sure would be good for this nutrient deficient palm. I have just recently started using MicroLife 8-4-6 Ultimate with the same 70 micros. I have had excellent results with this. It is produced by San Jacinto Environmental in Houston, and I could send some to one of you S. Cal. residents that is serious about rescuing this palm, if you could help me with shipping since finances are a little tight for me right now. I also use Medina Hasta Gro 12-4-8 Lawn, which has some of the essential micros, as a foliar spray. Again, I mix one ounce with a gallon of water, then apply with a sprayer, thoroughly wetting the crown. I apply it every few weeks during the warmer growing months.

Lastly, I think like others have said that this poor palm is not getting nearly enough water during the very dry California summers. From about early May until about mid September, this palm should be getting a good deep watering once a week, and no supplemental watering during the cool damp winters, unless there is a long stretch of warm dry weather in the winter. More coconut palms are lost in marginal climates due to overwatering in cool damp winters than to the occasional freeze. Also, I would suggest adding about an inch of a good organic compost to the entire root zone around the base of the palm, and then applying a good organic mulch to about two inches thick, starting about 3 - 4 inches away from the trunk. This will help retain soil moisture during the dry months, and the organic matter as it breaks down will increase the soil temperatures by possibly a couple of degrees, which is a major benefit for those of us trying to grow coconut palms in marginal cool winter climates. Good luck and keep us posted, and let me know if you want me to send any fertilizer.

John

mr.coconutpalm@yahoo.com

In the fall and early spring a good deep watering about once every two and a half to three weeks would be good, and during the winter ONLY watering about once every six weeks or so when it hasn't been raining. Only water in the winter on a warm day, never on a cool day.

In the fall and early spring a good deep watering about once every two and a half to three weeks would be good, and during the winter ONLY watering about once every six weeks or so when it hasn't been raining. Only water in the winter on a warm day, never on a cool day.

John, this is some excellent insight. I plan to apply some of this advice in growing my own coconut here in Southern Cal.

I'm curious what your winters are generally like in comparison to those here in SoCal.

Hey Hammer,

Our winters here are slightly milder than yours are which makes our marginal coconut climate slightly more acceptable for coconuts than S. Cal. Our normal high in January at the airport (about 20 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico) is 66F or 67F, with a normal low of about 46F to 47F. Here where I live on the east side of town near the water, I estimate our normal high to be 65F and normal low 50F or 51F. This gives us a average soil temp in Jan. of about 57.5F to 58F, and with the increased organic matter in the soil, and therefore increased microbial activity in the soil, my normal soil temp should be about 59F to 59.5F, right at the magical number of 60F for healthy coconut palm growth.

We also have many sunny dry days, but some cloudy damp and chilly days in the winter (but not as many damp chilly days as you guys have out there in S. Cal.) We also have a generous number of days in the mid to upper 70's periodically throughout the winter with a few days around the low 80's. Also, in late February we start to come out of winter rapidly and soon have consistent highs in the 70's and 80's. In the summer too, we have the added benefit of warmth and humidity, which coconut palms love, so ours are able to recover relatively quickly (by early to mid summer) from any ill effects of the cool winters. Our normal high at the airport in July is 94F, with a normal low of 75F, and where I live the normal high in July is about 93F with a normal low of about 79F, and our wettest months are September and October, when we average about 5 and 4 inches respectively, with May or June being our third wettest month. In September, we are still in the low 90's and upper 80's, and in October in the low to mid 80's. So we get our most rainfall when we are warm in late summer and early fall, which is quite suitable for coconut palms.

My coconut in Perth is planted in a mound with river pebbles all around it to absorb winter sun and heat. I then put an "Elizabethan collar" made out of thick clear plastic around the trunk at ground level to deflect any winter rain off it. The palm is planted in straight sand. In the warm weather it is watered well and fertilised well. I planted it in Nov 2007 and so far so good. These things hate winter rain and cold wet feet. The leaves are hardier than a bottle palm though.

That palm is already DEAD! It is on the Green Mile and just waiting for the chair. All the water and Fungicide in the world won't help that beast come back to life. If you want to do that palm a favor and save us So Cal's from any more palm embarassment, show up with a chain saw and a chipper.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Besides the rollercoaster ride of summer recovery and winter setbacks, the planting of a large washingtonia within a few feet a couple of years ago sealed it's demise.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

as the growing bud gets feather from that heat reflecting wall..... each winter will prove harder for this coconut to survive and one winter it wont survive :badday:

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Besides the rollercoaster ride of summer recovery and winter setbacks, the planting of a large washingtonia within a few feet a couple of years ago sealed it's demise.

That's a good point, that coconut is getting water starved by that Washingtonia.

I think there are some palm haters here masquerading as palm lovers. I think this famous palm is worth saving. Let's save it!

If you want to save that palm, then bring a chainsaw and mulcher for the washingtonia. Pogobob is right, without getting rid of the washingtonia, that coconut doesn't stand a chance.

St. Jude

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I think the palm community is split on this particular plant.

The Washingtonia will soak up moisture when the coconut doesn't need it in winter. But the summer water requirements will go up with those two in there.

I'm surprised it made it this long without any irrigation in Southern California!

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

I vote for "Gary Gonzer of Newport". A fitting tribute to those who care.

You'd think I'd have a stake in this since Newport is where I was hatched in '58 at Hoag.

I remember seeing that washie planted about ten years or so thinking.... the end.

In my opinion, without that PITA , the coco would have been twice as large by now. Not on its death bed.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I vote for "Gary Gonzer of Newport". A fitting tribute to those who care.

You'd think I'd have a stake in this since Newport is where I was hatched in '58 at Hoag.

Yeah man. What gives?!

I guess you might never fully realize how cool I think this is, being as how Moose and I rag the Cali Coconut deal all the time. In Moose's case he just loves the Cali-Fl palmatition. In my case, just plain jealousy, lol. But I always pull for the underdog and would just love nothing better than to see this thing come back. Even if it never hangs a coconut up top, just seeing it stable would be ultra cool. If I had similar here, I would make at least a bi-monthly trip to give it some enriched water and love.

Bring that baby back fellas.