IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Newport Beach coconut pics

Xenon

There goes the coco-nuts shining beacon of hope of growth in SoCal. :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I said it years ago on palmtalk when the thing looked perfect, it was just a matter of time. After 15 years growing palms I realized there are no microclimates for coconuts or border line palms. You may be able to keep them alive for a while, but the long cold winters will eventually weeken the palms defenses and kill it.

• Upvote 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Interesting! Everyone's been saying that for a bunch of years now, yet it still manages to survive year after year.

Even though it looks pretty raggedy, what I'm afraid most is that its demise may come from some gardener who will just lop it off by mistake.

It looks noticeably sadder than when I saw it back in February. I'm curious if it has been fertilized regularly.

Uh oh, it's a goner! :violin: It had a really good run though. I am truly a bit sad to see it is dying.

What caused it to die now after so many years? Not that it ever really flourished but I'd imagine it saw some cold before and pulled through

This winter was incredibly mild, if not downright warm. So maybe it was just a matter of attrition?

• Upvote 1

Yup; hard to be optimistic about it's future...

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Hmm.

I just lost a Dictyosperma with about 6 feet of trunk. I wonder if this coco's demise has any parallels?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, the only correlating factor I can think of is drought. The lack of rainfall for three years in a row may have dropped the water tables below ground and depriving this cocos from the large supply of water it needs to grow. Either way, that looks like one hell of a water stressed palm.

Curious if someone could recap who planted it and when?

Has the concrete been replaced in the last couple of years as it looks to be a lighter color than the sections further up the sidewalk?

Len's pee must have finished it off.

I need to delete that post. I could be tied to a palm death crime :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Dave, the only correlating factor I can think of is drought. The lack of rainfall for three years in a row may have dropped the water tables below ground and depriving this cocos from the large supply of water it needs to grow. Either way, that looks like one hell of a water stressed palm.

Lack of water was the first thing that I thought of after seeing the pic .

I can't speak for the Newport Coconut, but my Dicty never lacked for water, planted as it was right next to the thirsty Rhopie grove.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I can't speak for the Newport Coconut, but my Dicty never lacked for water, planted as it was right next to the thirsty Rhopie grove.

Dave, yours is what inspired me to try one. It grows gangbuster during the Summer, I mean it's fast, but come November it comes to a screeching halt and doesn't resume growth until May. My theory is that the hurricane palm absolutely detests soil temperatures below 60F. Mine just lost all of its fronds by March.

I was smart and followed Len's advice. I yanked my Dictyosperma this Spring, I didn't want to go through the trouble of nurturing something that marginal. Of course, my garden is 2 degrees North of yours and closer to cold water, but I hear it's a tough grow in Socal except for the best microclimates. A good south facing hillside where the soil is sandy and stays warm in the Winter should work well.

Dave, yours is what inspired me to try one. It grows gangbuster during the Summer, I mean it's fast, but come November it comes to a screeching halt and doesn't resume growth until May. My theory is that the hurricane palm absolutely detests soil temperatures below 60F. Mine just lost all of its fronds by March.

I was smart and followed Len's advice. I yanked my Dictyosperma this Spring, I didn't want to go through the trouble of nurturing something that marginal. Of course, my garden is 2 degrees North of yours and closer to cold water, but I hear it's a tough grow in Socal except for the best microclimates. A good south facing hillside where the soil is sandy and stays warm in the Winter should work well.

My Dicty was in there for an easy 8 years. Like yours, it slowed and spotted come fall, but always started back up in the spring. This year, there was no significant cool period to give it spots.

I was a bit surprised that mine did as well as it did for as long as it did. They are definitely much more suited to beach areas here.

Dictys like heat up to a point, and lots of humidity. In Hawaii, they rock the house until high altitude gets too cold for them. At my place, a large Livistona chinensis was removed from near where the Dicty was last summer. Perhaps the extra exposure was not to its liking.

Perhaps it just died...

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Perhaps it just died...

Yeah.

But it was doing so well for so long.

But, as Mr. Rare sometimes says, maybe it "just went into a funk and died" for some crazy reason. It really was very nice looking for a long while.

I think it's all over for it. The growing point is now in a different microclimate to the roots.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I'm just glad I got to see it, it does have that spear, although that is beginning to bend down. Palms may die, legends don't, this guy is a legend and a palm so, wait, let me rephrase that. The Newport Coconut is a legend, and legends live on. Things are pretty crook around there though, even the fire hydrant has turned white.

post-51-0-20490800-1404171713_thumb.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

It managed to hang on this long despite no one looking out for it. Imagine what may have been if a palmy person was caring for it correctly.

• Upvote 1

Are there any other famous palms that plenty of folk have had their photo taken with?

Regards Neil

If it was my plant, I'd prune off the dead bits, give the crown a copper fungicide to knock off any opportunistic fungi trying to take hold in the crown, and give it daily doses of fish/seaweed emulsion and then hopefully it would pull out of it as it's summer in the north. But something has to be done quickly too it, or winter will eat it for sure.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Somebody should get a water bag like the one Matty bought and put it around the palm. Do this 2-3 times a week and see if it recovers. That will tell you if it's drought based or not. I am pretty sure this thing isn't getting the water it needs.

The bummer is that it did not produce any fruit. I have at least two to three "pipas" every day (they cost $1 here as opposed to the inflated amount for the canned stuff at Whole Foods). They are ambrosia and my youngest craves them daily after school. The locals keep them cold in ice chests, slice open the tops and then insert a straw directly into the juice. We give the remains to my brother in law who heartily devours the insides (apparently if you eat enough they will expel parasitic worms from your bunghole-I'm not joking as my buddy's brother ate roughly ten and then pooped out a ton of worms as the coco forms an impermeable substrate in your gut). Just sayin' :indifferent:.

(apparently if you eat enough they will expel parasitic worms from your bunghole-I'm not joking as my buddy's brother ate roughly ten and then pooped out a ton of worms as the coco forms an impermeable substrate in your gut).

Wow, all that from a CocoPalm thread. My lunch hour is complete now.

:-)

Shimoda, Japan, Lat: 36.6N, Long: 138.8

Zone 9B (kinda, sorta), Pacific Coast, 1Km inland, 75M above sea level
Coldest lows (Jan): 2-5C (35-41F), Hottest highs (Aug): 32-33C (87-91F)

I'm happy to pitch in. It's right down the street from me.

That would be great! Let us know if you can save this thing. Water, water and more water! Get the 20 gallon water bag. You might want to spray it black so that it's not so visible.

Well, worms out the bunghole are better than going in, I guess

I have grown enough palms to know the look of certain death. That thing already has fungus and it is too late.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I'm happy to pitch in. It's right down the street from me.

I like your optimism and willingness to give this Cocos at least a fighting chance. I'm with the gang that believes the problem is too little water. If Newport is decently warm this summer there's a chance at survival. If there's a way to get some fungicide into the crown, that would likely be beneficial too.

GOOD LUCK!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I'll give it a shot. Hopefully I can make it down there tomorrow and will try and go twice a week with 15 gal. each.

Are there any pictures I can provide of the crown or otherwise that might be helpful to you guys?

make it down there tomorrow and will try and go twice a week with 15 gal. each.

Like trying to rescue a sea lion that's been bitten by a Great White...let nature take her course.

I've seen a lot of near death palms be brought back to their former glory and it's wonderful to see the "rescue" result in a happy palm. Some were very marginal for the area palms too. I've done the same for a few of my client's palms where certified "arborists" had actually been doing much more harm than good.

I say don't let nature take its course since, if that were our motto in drought stricken CA, we'd have thousands of dying palms, not just this Cocos crying out for help.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I'll give it a shot. Hopefully I can make it down there tomorrow and will try and go twice a week with 15 gal. each.

Are there any pictures I can provide of the crown or otherwise that might be helpful to you guys?

Go for it. It may one of the most famous individual palms around. Resurrection would be glorious.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages