IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea Chilensis inside

Icy Palm

Hi All,

This is my first post. I have an almost impossible hobby for my location... However I like a good challenge!

I have placed my Jubaea Chilensis inside my apartment in a container. I live in Norway and we often reach -20 degrees Celcius outside! (59 degrees north, zone 6 I believe) The air inside the apartment is very dry, especially during winter, therefor the leaves have damaged. What is best to do? Remove the dried out leaves or leave the palm alone. I only get 1 or 2 new leaves a year. Currently a new leave is opening but this takes a century :-(

Thank you for any good tips!

post-10344-0-44913800-1403893126_thumb.j

post-10344-0-46612400-1403893143_thumb.j

Remove all brown and dry fronds. the pot is to small for a palm like that. Can U keep it outside during Summer? I would choose a different palm for indoors.

Yes, put it outdoors over summer. There are people in Germany who plant Jubs in their garden which see -20C sometimes. They build little styrofoam houses which can be heated to protect the palms. It's a huge effort but that might be an option for you. If you have no other place to put the jub during winter I would also recommend choosing another palm. A Jubaea will never live happily inside.

Flo

Kind of like raising an elephant indoors. If it works at all, it will only be for a very short time.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Kind of like raising an elephant indoors. If it works at all, it will only be for a very short time.

Have you ever seen "An Idiot Abroad," Keith? In one of the episodes there was a hippo that lives indoors, and slept in the biggest dog-bed like thing I have ever seen. It seemed pretty happy. I also highly recommend the series. Very funny indeed.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Some people 20 years ago snickered a bit at what I grew inside my house such as ultratropicals (non palms, this was prepalm obsession).

Then I built a greenhouse.

Then I bought a farm in the tropics and moved some of those very same plants there. None of this was planned.

So go ahead and enjoy the adventure with your passion as you never know where it will lead.

Oh, welcome to the forum and best of luck with your palm! I'm sorry I don't have any advice since I bypassed the growing palms inside part.

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Thank you all for the nice, very beautifully formulated reactions. Will get the palm outside and remove brown fronds!

This elephant needs space I hear!