IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Corypha Tour

Kom Thai Palm

(jam99 @ Mar. 07 2007,17:35)

Great detailed photos!

I wonder if the long petiole is a result of palm's adaptation to growing in a species rich habitat where it tries to outrun its competitors in search of the sun light. I notice older specimens with longer trunks have shorter petioles.

Keep them coming.

Cheers, Jan

Jan,

Yes, they love sun very much. True that in habitat there are more chance seedling will be in deep shade of older plant and I just be noticed that older plant have shorter petiole either those are in shade or not. Natural is amazing!!.

But, if which specimens have unusual short petioles, meaning we can predict flowering will occur in 2-3 years (see pictures above, standing dead plant).

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

picture

post-117-1174325147_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

most top petiole.

post-117-1174325475_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

(bgl @ Mar. 07 2007,18:12)

Komkrit,

Photos of Maxburretia in habitat would definitely be interesting (well, ALL the palms that you mentioned would of course be of interest...! :) ). I think very few people are actually able to grow this palm. I tried a few of them here a number of years ago (acquired from Floribunda), but unfortunately, they were never happy and subsequently died. I believe they grow on limestone in the wild, and, thus have very unique soil requirements.

Bo-Göran

Maxburretia is famous of hard growing. I know who have growing this palm in Thailand. Probably I ask him for soil ingredient and start new topic after I visit Maxburretia in habitat.

Komkrit Yensirikul

Komkrit,

Great! I'm sure lots of Forum members would enjoy that!

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

• 1 year later...

merci Komkrit for those superb pics. When the corypha has no trunk yet, it looks like a giant papyrus especially on post 6 with the water next to it...

Have you posted a whole topic on Nong nooch?

thanks again, bruno

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

Komkrit, i must add that those corypha look a lot like the tahina spectabilis! It is incredible. The inflorescence is exactly what I saw! Do you remember how high it was? Ten meters? 5 meters?

The tahina is a palm that can grow in California I'm sure.

antananarivo madagascar

altitude 1200m

I don't have this corypha yet.... Now, I need to find one to complete the collection... Any Aussie knows where I can find seeds or young plants??

Thanks Komkrit for posting the pics... They are definitely one of my favourite palms. It looks dry where they are growing, so they should do well here. How wet do you get in the wet season?

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hai friends :)

here is one growing in our roof top gardens in south india,the seeds were from Komikrit(Thailand).

first still is of a young sapling,the next still is of young palm which is around one and half years old_i think... :winkie:

love,

Kris :)

post-108-1209624971_thumb.jpg

post-108-1209625014_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Great pics! Majestic palms. Their scale is amazing. I'm sure many in Southern California wish they could grow those.

Thanks for sharing!

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great pictures Komkrit! Corypha's are one of my all time favorite palms too!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Thanks everyone for all comments. I really forgot this thread since I post this topic last year.

Komkrit Yensirikul

merci Komkrit for those superb pics. When the corypha has no trunk yet, it looks like a giant papyrus especially on post 6 with the water next to it...

thanks again, bruno

Hello Bruno,

Did you mean this plant? I just search picture for papyrus cause certainly I don't know it before and need to know. Agee with you, they looks like. Very attractive for me.

Picture064.jpg

thanks again, bruno

I remember I have posted some Nong nooch's picture on some topic ago. But don't sure with a whole topic.

I have some old pictures of Nong nooch from 4 visitings, but not enough picture to complete Nong nooch stories this time. Someday I will post them. Good news that recently my friend, Chalermchart(rthink) just show his Nong nooch's pictures on the his thread recommend to visit, there a lot nice pictures.

Thanks

Komkrit

Komkrit Yensirikul

Komkrit, i must add that those corypha look a lot like the tahina spectabilis! It is incredible. The inflorescence is exactly what I saw! Do you remember how high it was? Ten meters? 5 meters?

The tahina is a palm that can grow in California I'm sure.

inflorescence height? or plant height? in case whole plant, ablosutely 10 meters or more.

Komkrit Yensirikul

I don't have this corypha yet.... Now, I need to find one to complete the collection... Any Aussie knows where I can find seeds or young plants??

Thanks Komkrit for posting the pics... They are definitely one of my favourite palms. It looks dry where they are growing, so they should do well here. How wet do you get in the wet season?

Regards, Ari :)

Hello ariscott,

I don't sure where you can buy, may you ask Clayton(utopiapalm) for seedling.

This great plam are tolerate to drought, water and fire. They should grow anywhere except frost.

I've seen they survive in the rice field. On wet season, should be semi-flood there.

If you get this one, give them more watering, the better growth return.

Thanks a lot

Komkrit

Komkrit Yensirikul

Hai friends :)

here is one growing in our roof top gardens in south india,the seeds were from Komikrit(Thailand).

first still is of a young sapling,the next still is of young palm which is around one and half years old_i think... :winkie:

love,

Hello Kris,

After one year passed, our seed are becoming 1 year seedling now. This is from the same seed lot as yours.

Please don't ask me where I plan to ground, I could not answer even myself this time. In 2-3 years I will find the way.

Thanks

Komkrit

post-117-1210694420_thumb.jpg

Komkrit Yensirikul

Hello Scott

Hello deezpalms

Glad to know that you both love them. Thanks a lot for nice comment.

Komkrit Yensirikul

Picture064.jpg

WOWZA, these Coryphas are emperors of palms no doubt, have a look at the others in the background, thanks for posting.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Dear Komi :)

here is a update still of one of the C.L growing in a big barrel..i know you will be very happy to see the stills,since the seeds were sent by you !

post-108-1226648850_thumb.jpg post-108-1226648878_thumb.jpg

thanks & love,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Nice pictures!

And the palms are wonderful, too! (Your girlfriend is a doll!)

Hmm. How could I have missed them from before?

Hmm. Maybe send us some seeds? We'll see if they'll grow here in California . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 months later...

Absolutely & phenomenally gorgeous palm photos, Komkrit! I am moved by their massive, yet somehow, delicate majesty! I feel that these palms are a special gift to this world, from another, simpler, less commercial time!

They teach a lesson to all that gaze upon their massive elegance! I will not ever be the same, for seeing their beauty!

Many thanks for your humble presentation, Konkrit. We are aspecially blessed to view such botanic grandeur!

Most sincerely,

Paul in Florida

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

I have planted my loved babe in the ground ! :drool:

post-108-1234535355_thumb.jpg

By the way thanks a lot komi,for making some portions of my palm dreams come true... :winkie:

Lots of love to you,

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 10 years later...