Brahea Axel

A trachy with 360 degree leaves at the big box store

Brahea Axel

Everytime I go to OSH, I look at the nursery stock to see what's out there. To my surprise, yesterday, I came across several trachys that had total 360 degree leaves. They looked quite unusual, so I picked one up. It's impossible to tell where the petiole is on those leaves. And the entire lot was like this.

20140626_114152_zpszjtlsqun.jpg

20140626_114146_zps1u3m3ong.jpg

Zeeth

Very cool! Reminds me of a Coccothrinax

DoomsDave

Neat!

Can you take a shot of the leaf reverses and the base of the stem where the leaves join it?

_Keith

Very cool! Reminds me of a Coccothrinax

I was going to say the same thing.

Alicehunter2000

hmm...so that's what I should look for.

redbeard917

Very cool. There is a guy on a different forum (Hardy Palm and Subtropicals) who has a trunking specimen. He calls it the same thing, 360 degree Trachy, not some fancy cultivar or location type. I really like the form and am jealous! Need to keep an eye out in the big box store.

Flow

Nice find. I had one just like that but as it grew bigger the leaves returned to normal form. Let's hope yours stays that way.

Flo

Brahea Axel

Several folks have mentioned the ephemeral nature of the rounded leaves on fortunei. I doubt the commercial seed stock OSH's plants are grown from would have such trachys, so I guess it's not going to last.

There is another trachycarpus that I grow called 'winsan' that keeps the 360 degree leaf shape and actually looks quite different from fortunei. I grow some but they're still too small. They're considerably less hardy than regular fortunei and have different seed shape and size, which is what makes me think it's really a different species. I've not been able to find any decent pictures of any online, it seems a rather obscure palm.