IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trip to the Carolinas..

BobbyinNY

I'll be going on a trip for a week (leaving Saturday) to the Carolinas to check out the area...  We're stopping in Folly Beach, SC.... there's a place there called: "Isle-of-Palms"... looks cool... I'll be taking lots of pics.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Those South Carolinians discovered that cabbage palm trunks were good for building fortifications during the Revolution.  Cannonballs sort of sunk into the wood.  I have a bad suspicion the place has become developed since I last saw it, many years ago.

North range limit for cabbage palm is Bald Head Island (Cape Fear), North Carolina.  I got to see the island pre-development.  Regrettably, it's not open to the public, to the best of my knowledge.

Should be some Butias around, at least in Charleston.

On the side, someone has a tea plantation outside of Charleston.  And here's a distribution map of http://www.herbarium.unc.edu/Carnivores/Di...a_muscipula.htm.  Look in roadside swales in low-lying areas with pines and grass.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

That's great.. thanks Dave... Here's a pic I found of the Beach near Charleston, SC...

post-57-1153314257_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby- Hope the trip goes well. I am back in Texas for a few more days after a trip to Colorado. Hope you enjoy your trip to the Carolinas. You should see Butias much farther north than Charleston. I know they are grown all the way to New Bern, if not all the way to Virginia Beach Va.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

What else do you see in Charleston besides Butias Trachys and Sabals.  Washys? Phoenix? Queens?  I was under the assumption that Charleston was a pretty palmy place.  I thought I heard once that Savannah was about the northern limit for queens.

Jacksonville, Florida, in the era of the great 1989 freeze and ice storm (I-95 closed for 2 days) was a place where Canary date palms, Butia, and the occasional Trachycarpus did fine.  I don't recall anyone venturing to try Queens.  

Washingtonias were a bit marginal.  There were some feral ones in the downtown area, but no really mature ones.  Lake City, much further inland, had mature Washingtonias until a bad freeze around 1977, the one that brought snow across Florida and into the Bahamas.

Keep an eye out for Sabal minor in the Carolinas.

http://www.efloras.org/object_page.aspx?ob...1017&flora_id=1

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Maybe someone from Jax will chime in.  I thought there were a lot of queens in Jax, at least now.  Realize they probably froze out in 89.  Seem to remember someone posting on the old board that there used to be some old mature 70 footer washys in Jax that got froze out in 89 or whatever.  I also seem to remember someone posting that they are starting to see queens pop un along the GA coast.  Maybe my memory isn't correct, that was a post on one of the old boards.  Hey, we got phoenix and occasional queens here, I would think they would grow in Jax.

Queens are all over the place here!  They are quickly becoming the second most common palm, next to Sabals.  I see them more than Washys at this point.  There are some very good size phoenix of differing species around also that have definitely been around since before '89.  With the way the weaher has been around here for the past few years, we've been seeing a lot of 9B stuff too.  I just posted on another board that parts of Jacksonville East and South of the St. Johns have been a solid 9B climate for the past ten years with the exception of the freeze on 1/24/03 where it got down to 19 degrees downtown and 21 here towards the beaches.

Everyone has been warmer the last 10 years.  We've averaged a 9a/9b the last several years with exception of a freeze to the upper teens in Jan 02, I think.  I see large queens being planted all the time now around here, so I was pretty sure they were fairly common at least to the Jax area, and possibly further north than that along the coast.

(syersj @ Jul. 20 2006,20:07)

What else do you see in Charleston besides Butias Trachys and Sabals.  Washys? Phoenix? Queens?  I was under the assumption that Charleston was a pretty palmy place.  I thought I heard once that Savannah was about the northern limit for queens.

There are actually a great number of palm in the Charleston Area, if you know where to look. I know Dr DelPorto has a huge collection of palms, including an Acrocomia, a Mule, Rhapis, Guihaia, numerous Sabals, Butias and hybrids with Jubaea, Parajubaea, etc. There are several Livistona chinensis and a few large P canariensis, which are survivors from the onslaught of Hurricane Hugo  in either 1989 or 90, along the Battery.

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery