IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

...and Tassie Troy's tree comes down!

MattyB

I think this is only 4 years from seed, and this bad boy went outta control! When did you give me those seeds Troy? Anyway, Acacia dealbata was a great canopy tree for a while but then I started noticing that it was incredibly root aggressive. I encountered several large Acacia roots very far away from the trunk and even worse they started forming mats that were choking out the other plants. I had a tile on the dirt that I had a pot set on and when I removed the tile the Acacia roots underneath were just amazing. Scary amazing. So, I decided that this tree needs to be planted out in the open, in the drier areas, and not in my jungly area next to water loving plants. Thanks for the seeds Troy, but it was my mistake to plant it in the wrong spot. Can you send me some new seeds? Here's the pics of it coming down.

post-126-0-19556400-1403293090_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-46414000-1403293097_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-84144900-1403293104_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-02452200-1403293120_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-51832400-1403293132_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-74535900-1403293144_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-74248000-1403293152_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-13993100-1403293160_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-76052000-1403293166_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-99593600-1403293171_thumb.jpg

post-126-0-86073300-1403293176_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here's a short video of a nice cut. The bark was very thin and slippery. The climber "gaffed out", or slipped several times, the only thing saving him from falling was his two tie-off points and fall protection harness.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

you said you were gonna dig it up & bring it over.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

you said you were gonna dig it up & bring it over.

Ya... but he didn't say in how many pieces - gmp

Hey Matty, did you actually quantify any competition from this tree, or just assume there was? Dealbata is a primary coloniser of sites destined to become rainforest in appropriate conditions, so it seems unlikely to me it was really doing too much damage. Certainly far less aggressive for soil moisture and nutrients than some Aussie natives like Eucs. Nitrogen fixation in this species can be impressive too, figures up to 350kgN/ha have been recorded, pretty serious nutrient supply, and in correct association with C so good easy release rates with little damage potential. I hope you used the tree as mulch for your palms.

I've planted about 20,00 of these over the last 3 years, they produce beautiful timber at maturity. I marvel it is not grown more, the timber is koa-qualtiy with much faster production time.

• Upvote 1

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Bummer Matt. Hope you had a another to plant.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Good riddance! Pretty when they bloom (in someone else's yard), but dense thickets of seedlings AND suckers where well-adapted. Disliked more in NorCal than SoCal generally.

Rated as Moderate Risk by Cal-IPC: http://www.cal-ipc.org/paf/site/paf/467

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

• 3 weeks later...

Will send you some more seed soon

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Cool, Thanks. I was hoping I'd get seed off of this one but I was too afraid to wait another few years

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hey Matty, did you actually quantify any competition from this tree, or just assume there was? Dealbata is a primary coloniser of sites destined to become rainforest in appropriate conditions, so it seems unlikely to me it was really doing too much damage. Certainly far less aggressive for soil moisture and nutrients than some Aussie natives like Eucs. Nitrogen fixation in this species can be impressive too, figures up to 350kgN/ha have been recorded, pretty serious nutrient supply, and in correct association with C so good easy release rates with little damage potential. I hope you used the tree as mulch for your palms.

I've planted about 20,00 of these over the last 3 years, they produce beautiful timber at maturity. I marvel it is not grown more, the timber is koa-qualtiy with much faster production time.

Not in a dry climate Ben!

Nothing grows under dry land silver wattles except the toughest succulents.

They form an absolutely impenetrable root mat that suckers like a son of a bitch and absorbs all available moisture and nutrients.

I think Troy got those seeds from my wattle forest, which is a single clonal plant covering about two acres. If you disturb it it goes crazy.

Wet forest A. dealbata is a totally different animal and grows as you describe above.

A word of warning to anyone considering A. dealbata in a small garden (ie less than 5 acres) - get seeds from a known wet forest provenance, or prepare for invasion!!!

Cheers,

Jonathan

• Upvote 1

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.