IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bali's Gardens

RainForestt Robert

The March 2007 issue on Garden Design Magazine has a nice feature on Bali and it's gardens.  I know that it is a favorite of Paul's.  The article goes into some detail on what is perceived to be Bali Style, garden wise.  The principles of this type of tropical design are applicable to me and I would like to incorporate some of them into my garden.  They are Stone decorations, Offerings and Shrines, Dramatic Entryways, The Bale, Still Pools, Deep Roof Overhangs, Carved Stones, Large Cisterns and Quiet, All Pervasive Water.

The same issue also covered "100 plants we love".  I was disappointed that not one palm or cycad was mention.  Come on Garden Design.  Will make some suggestions for next year.

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

Here's a couple of interesting coconut palms seen in a garden in

Sanur, Bali.

bonsai_coco1.jpg

bonsai_coco2.jpg

Also, suggested for Bali afficionados is this coffee table book,

Helmi, Rio and Walker, Barbara, "Bali Style", the Vendome

Press, © 1995, ISBN 0-86565-983-4

aloha,

Bob,

Thanks for the info on the magazine,  I will try to find it here. I love the bali garden styles.

regards, Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

I will have to check out the article, thanks for the lead.  My biggest peeve about "Bali" style is that 99% of people (especially interior/garden designers) don't even know where Bali is, let alone create a design that even has any hint of it (aside from maybe color palate).  The designs end up being a mish-mash of Hawaiian/Polenesian style, with a few Indian and Thai "artifacts" and maybe a piece of ikat or batik fabric thrown in.  It looks, from the description, that this article may provide a reasonable overview.  There are several good books, including a couple I just found out about this weekend.  I will post some references tonight if there is interest (or they haven't been mentioned).

A couple of pics.

photo60.jpg

photo18.jpg

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

thanks for the tip,trinidadbob!

tom,those are great pics.were you there yourself?

robert great pics as usual.they really show how beautiful

bali style can be.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

These are my favorite (so far) books on Balinese architecture/gardens.  Ranked by the number of page markers I have attached (highest to lowest).

Balinese Gardens, William Warren  ISBN 0-500-01680-1

Tropical Garden Design, Made Wijaya  ISBN 0-7946-0242-8 (not entirely Balinese, but still lots of good inspirations).

Living in Bali, Angelica Taschen  ISBN 3-8228-4600-7

Bali Modern, Gianni Francione  ISBN 962-593-466-9

The books above have a good mix of interior and landscape architecture.

Bali Houses, Gianni Francione  ISBN 0-7946-0013-1  (mostly houses/interiors).

This weekend while visiting a Balinese friend (and importer of stone/wood carvings) he highly recommended the following book:

Architecture of Bali, ISBN 0-8248-2683-3.  I am pretty sure the author is Made Wijaya, but I didn't write it down.  A quick browse of this book looked promising.  It looks like it it more focused on actual construction techniques employed in Balinese Architecture.

One other book along this line that I saw this weekend and plan to add is:

Architecture:  Indonesian Heritage,  ISBN 981-3018-30-5 (general).

Now a few more pictures:

photo85.jpg

photo93.jpg

And a couple of natural landscapes:

photo171.jpg

photo180.jpg

Robert

9A

Now, if I could just find a drought tolerant grass to mimic rice!

photo199.jpg

Hotel architecture:

photo228.jpg

photo257.jpg

photo272.jpg

Robert

9A

rindu bali banyak sekali

still "warning-free."

Robert, thanks for the lovely pics.  A garden tour to Singapore and Bali is being touted in that issue.  

Bali Garden Tour

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

yes,some amazing landscape/architecture designs on his website!its worth checking out!

still "warning-free."