IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Side Yards don’t have to be boring.

Palm crazy

One thing about living in the city is you can do some pretty cool things with the side of the house.

No need to make that trip to the back boring. Space here is narrow.

DSC00003_zpsf36d011a.jpg

Love it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

How beautiful! What is that with the orange flowers? Great place for the feeder. I imagine such a side yard would be very welcoming for wildlife, which would be refreshing in the city.

You demonstrate well!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks guys, the orange vine is just a honeysuckle the hummers like.

You can’t tell yet, but in this long narrow space there are several trachycarpus, one waggie, three butia one is silver, JxB is still small.

In another month I’ll be able to see some of the tender cordylines that died this winter there just starting to regrow. The long term goal is to make the path way out of moss. I’ve starting putting coconut fiber on the ground to give the moss something to grow on. Will take a few years before it looks the way I want. But it should be pretty low maintenance with lots of color and green combined.

Thanks for looking. :happy:

Edited by Palm crazy

Yes, I like it too. Cool things growing up there in the Pacific Northwest....no pun intended.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Very nice! April of last year I did something similar to my side yard. I still need to finish up the path though.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Dave that made me chuckle, thanks.

Steve love to see how your side yard is turning out. Lots of example on the net for side yard. This side of the yard is seen from the living room and the dinning room window, only a few years old but I like it since it pretty low maintenance and green all year.

Thanks!

I get moss growing naturally everywhere I consistently spray round up. Just FYI that might be a way to get it going. Btw, are you saying cordylines such as ti are root hardy?

I get moss growing naturally everywhere I consistently spray round up. Just FYI that might be a way to get it going. Btw, are you saying cordylines such as ti are root hardy?

Moss grows here naturally in shade, but this area is a little to sunny in summer so it goes dormant and returns in fall. In full shade the moss is evergreen here.

Cordyline australis & hybrids. Comes from Australia; N. Zealand. They don’t like high heat-humidity but do good on the west coast. Hardy to 18F-20F. root hardy to 10F-15F.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of the Palms and exotic in this side yard most are doing good.

schefflera delavayi

DSC00031_zps7b23f01a.jpg

Banana growing nicely. Should take off now that the warmer days are here to stay.

DSC00026_zpsfe509483.jpg

Livistona nitida lost all its leaves this winter, but the spear was solid, growing back fast.

DSC00024_zps970d9028.jpg

Small Jubaea x Butia f2 finally in the ground no damage this winter.

DSC00018_zpsc4409404.jpg

Please name the flowering plants in the last picture.....been going on a flower kick around here.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Please name the flowering plants in the last picture.....been going on a flower kick around here.

David the flowering tree we already discussed before not heat tolerant for you…(Embothrium coccineum), fuchsia cardinal is heat tolerant, and the cool looking hot pink plant is a new one called (Digiplexis ‘Illumination flame’) a new cross with the native foxglove and cross with Canary island foxglove. Outer color is hot pink and the inside and throat is light orange very striking plant should be at least hardy to z8?

PalmCrazy your far North garden never ceases to amaze in looks and greenery and what you are able to grow. Too bad your new canna hasn't bloomed yet. Would like to see a photo of it in your garden when it does. The pink should be a great complement to your other pink flowering plant. Our Canna intrigues in the back yard BTW have been in bloom for a while now, with our heat, and are probably 8-9 feet tall now. Your musa looks pretty tall already. What variety is it?

Thought since I haven't posted photos in while I would hop on your thread, hope you don't mind, and show a side yard comparison a bit further south--cold/wet/lush--hot/dry/minimal. Our side yard is on the west side of our stucco house and pretty much a furnace during the hot inland summers. This summer has seen 90s/100s but a lot more days of 70s/80s than recent years. We did experience lows of about 24F this past winter and had continuous nights of freezing temps which affected some of our less hardy 9b plants in our back and front yard. Very little rain, and love the little bit of fog we've gotten off and on.

The majority of our softscaping was done last year, and I can't wait until our side yard mule can offer more shade. It does like the heat and has put out a number of fronds since being planted. The sabal has done great as well. Several new fronds and inflorescence along the way. The cycas revoluta flushed this spring (didn't know if it would this soon after being planted, we did fertilize). Here's a before and after.

post-5191-0-57282100-1404772217_thumb.jp 06/29/13 post-5191-0-46987600-1404772266_thumb.jp Taken recently

Across from the palm bed is a small bed which takes full sun all afternoon long on the stucco. We planted an Anigozanthos Big Red here. OMG this plant just loves the heat. Every time we walk past it, we can't believe how gorgeous it is. Both the kangaroo paws and the torches in the palm bed are hummingbird favorites. It's been fun watching this Big Red grow to be taller than me (probably just over 6 feet) and it's snake-like floral stems are fascinating to see weave in and out and eventually rise up straightened. Highly recommend to those of you who have a hot area that needs something. Needs good drainage. Since we haven't had rain in a while we hope we will be okay on that front.

post-5191-0-07373200-1404772728_thumb.jp 10/24/13 post-5191-0-44064700-1404772624_thumb.jp 06/04/13

You can see the snaking stems in the above recent photo

post-5191-0-95707500-1404772786_thumb.jp post-5191-0-37523100-1404772807_thumb.jp from today

We liked Big Red so much we just added a few A. Tequilla Sunrises planted between our backyard bed of Strelitzia reginae (orange birds of paradise). These get a western sun exposure on the stucco background so feel they will do well there too.

That's pretty much our side yard, not very large. Not a lot of variety. Hopefully not so boring. Really wanted a tropical look with minimal care and low water requirements. Our back yard contains our larger palms, another sabal, canna, SunPatiens, bamboo, leucadendron...and thankfully what we planted for the most part has just thrived for us in our heat and cold. Some of you probably remember the two mules in the back yard that were our first anchoring palms when we first started all this a few years ago. Here's an updated photo of one of the mules as you look from the side yard to the back yard. It seems to be doing well despite a vole that caused all kinds of issues for the trunk.

post-5191-0-85233500-1404775287_thumb.jp

Zone 9b (formerly listed as Zone 9a); Sunset 14

Hi W.C.G. most of the cannas here need a few more weeks till they bloom. I’m trying canna musafolia this year so far looks good. The banana is just a musa basjoo they really grow back fast even when killed to the ground, Other ones I am trying are. M. skkimensis red tiger; M. sp. Helen’s hybrid a hardy edible; Mekong giant just a one gallon.

WOW! Your mules have really gotten big and are looking magnificent. Really adds to that tropical Cali feel. Great selection with the red hot pokers, there so easy and low maintenance but look really exotic when they bloom. Wish I could grow kangaroo paws like that, just to cold-cloudy here in winter. But they do give the hummers something to eat in your garden.

Thanks for sharing your side garden is Fantastic.

Musa basjoo update second year in the ground.

DSC00009-1_zps7f7aaa08.jpg

Ginger tara

DSC00015_zps10afab78.jpg

Cordylines growing back.

DSC00010_zps3c68e67c.jpg

Some more recovering.

DSC00015-1_zps75ad1e9a.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

OH yeah, I almost forgot the new canna is just starting to show a flower bud. Cool this week low 80’s but next week big heat waves coming so should be soon.

DSC00006_zps4fc42950.jpg

Waggie update love this palm.

DSC00028_zpsa41aedc9.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

The Heat is already here….http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/98501 the nights are a little lower at the airport, in town night temps even warmer.

So Glad I have micro sprinkler to do the watering for me. This month is the beginning of the heat loving palm growing season it last about 3 months, LOL!