IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ceroxylon quindiuense in SoCal

Matt in SD

I have a Ceroxylon quindiuense in a tall 3g pot that is, I think, ready for the ground.  The leaves are partially pinnate and about 2 - 2 1/2 feet long (I'll try to post a photo tomorrow), and it's very robust holding probably 8-9 good leaves.  This plant has grown in my greenhouse for the last 3 years where it definitely doesn't seem to mind the heat.  So how much sun should I plant it in?  How do they look in general in SoCal?  I've seen the plants at the Huntington, but it's been a while, I think they looked pretty good.  Also I think my climate might be a little more suitable.    

I know that DypsisDean has several Ceroxylons growing here in SoCal, so hopefully he can chime in here.  Not sure if he's growing C quindiuense.  Anyone else with experience I'd love to hear from as well.  

Matt

• Upvote 1

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

HI Matt,

I cant help you on Cal. growing, but I am very interested in your greenhouse comment. There seems to be a lot of disagreement on heat preferences with Ceroxylon, some people saying they need cold nights. Can you tell me what kind of temp. ranges your GH expereinces? Does it ever get cold at night?

I've got 1200 seeds of this species coming soon, and another 500 each of vogellianum and ventricosoum sown a month or so ago. I am still not really sure whether I should be giving them warm or cold condiitons.

Dick Endt made a comment on C. quindiuense in the latest NZ Palm & Cycad magazine. His coment was that his palms (West Auckland, wet, mild humid) growing with roots shaded by bananas are now about twice the size of those planted with root area  in the sun. Suggesting they like the cold.

Dicks Quidiuense, about 18 years in the ground from memory.

Img_0630.jpg

• Upvote 3

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Ben,

My greenhouse is not heated so the nights are cool in summer (60s F, 15-20C) and pretty cold in winter (45-55F, 7-12C).  So it is very possible that is why it did well in there.  Just an FYI, I had a Geonoma undata in there as well that grew very fast.  It's outside now and growing slower.  So maybe the night temps are the most important issue for these high elevation palms.  They seem to grow faster with warm days for sure.

Matt

• Upvote 1

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

Matt, how much control do you put on daytime heat? Do you limit it, or does it occaisonally get really hot 40C+? Most of the habitat of these palms are around 20C or so day (15-25 anyway), and often 10C or colder at night. So I would imagine that really hot temps may be detrimental. Or are they more like Butia etc that actually really thrive in real heat? I guess many palms really thrive and grow best in cliamtes a little warmer than their natural habitat...

Either way, you have convinced me I need to provide more daytime heat for my plants. I guess even a simple cloche system with open sides would do, higher daytime temps but same nights...

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Matt, quick question where did you get your Geonoma undata?Looking for one can't seem to find one anywhere.

Shon

San Marcos CA

Ben,

In my very limited experience seedling loss is  lesser outside of the greenhouse.  Possibly humidity plus heat above 25c is the issue up here in Auckland.  The small ones seem to sucumb to rot easily.  Mine grow through our winter and are very strong plants.  Three year olds from seed up to 75cm.  I give them a little morning sun only. Respond well to feed.  The Endt's advice for older plants was to keep the roots cool but give plenty of sun.  Their largest plants (by a mile) are those in full sun......

Matt-

I have/had about 6-7 types of Ceroxys thru this last winter.

VERY prone to cold/wet rot.  When it was cold in Feb, I would swear they grew faster! Then the rains came to and half of them died. (outside of course)

My biggest is my 15 gal Quiniuense and it and the others have had a slow sun acclimation, but seem to be growing out of it now.

when small the emerging spear kinda reminds me of a Polyandrococos!  Very Cool.

Deans look great, I hope mine get like Deans or Pauleens.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ben,

My greenhouse is typically 80-85F (27-29C) during the day.  It does get up to 105F occaisonally (40F) but this is usually in the winter when we have heat wave and these high temps probably don't last too long.  So it's not real hot in there as greenhouses go, but it's definitely quite a bit warmer than the palms native area.

Shon, I got my G undata from Jungle Music (Phil on this board).  They may still have a few.  There are also seeds available from ortanique I think right now.

I'm still mulling over different areas to plant.  Since I've taken the palm out of my greenhouse last week, there is some leaf burn from just a very short period of late afternoon sun, which makes me a bit nervous.  It definitely is going to look ugly for a while, even if I plant it in filtered light.

Matt

San Diego

I have about a half dozen or so C. quinudense, and they grow well for me in the shade in pots.  They're all in fives or fifteens, and they're in the shade.  At this time of the year they KFC rapidly in the sun.  Rate-wise, I'd call them moderate.  

I planted one in the ground under my infamous Tree of Lust and Desire (a Cedrus deodar).  It died this winter, from what appeared to be some kind of rot.  I do have clay soil, and some plants don't like it.  

I'll try again, this time on a sandy-loamy mound, and pray to the Feathered Barfing Snake that it grows.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Matt in SD @ Jul. 19 2006,12:07)

Ben,

My greenhouse is typically 80-85F (27-29C) during the day.  It does get up to 105F occaisonally (40F) but this is usually in the winter when we have heat wave and these high temps probably don't last too long.  So it's not real hot in there as greenhouses go, but it's definitely quite a bit warmer than the palms native area.

Shon, I got my G undata from Jungle Music (Phil on this board).  They may still have a few.  There are also seeds available from ortanique I think right now.

I'm still mulling over different areas to plant.  Since I've taken the palm out of my greenhouse last week, there is some leaf burn from just a very short period of late afternoon sun, which makes me a bit nervous.  It definitely is going to look ugly for a while, even if I plant it in filtered light.

Matt

Matt- Sorry, I thjought about it, I just forgot to type it, I have noticed these are VERY slow to acclimate to the sun from a green house.  On the order of a Chambeyronia I would say. I try to keep most in morning sun... if at all.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Matt.

I've been meaning to get one in the round.  I grew a bunch up from seed to presently nice 5 gallons.  Those in the deepest shade are the most robust. Most are pinnate, or starting pinnate leaves.  Much more robust than alpinum.  

Have not put any of them in much sun, so can't help you there.  All mine have been grown outside.  Your climate should be condusive to growing a nice one.  Probably best to start it in filtered sun though.

Greg in Lake Forest, CA

Zone 10

Occasional frost

Matt,

I do have three large Ceroxylon, all ready to begin putting on trunk after 10+ years in the ground. Two are just C. sp. and one C. alpinum. I'm usually not at a lose to offer advice, but in this case I don't really know what is best for these. All of mine went in about half/half shade/sun as 1 and 2 Gal plants. I have no idea if they would be bigger faster if given full sun. I'm not much help am I? The only thing I do remember is they didn't seem to have as many roots at that size as other palms that eventually get good size.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I've never had real success with this genus. I can germinate them and get them to 4 or 5 leaf stage, then hot summer weather comes and they stop and I lose a percentage, then winter comes and by Spring the survivers have recovered, then hot waether comes and I lose more in the summer autumn period. I've grown C alpinum, quindiense, echinulatum and amazonicum, and I've only got a few amazonicum still alive. I won't be bothering with this genus anymore. I gave away a couple of C quindiense to a friend who lives at about 35S at approx 400m elevation and his are cranking and looking real impressive. They are a beautiful genus, but I'm hopeless with them, much to my dissapointment.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Ben this is how I grow them,you have been to my place so know the story.These are 3yr old and orginally would have been approx 100seeds in a pot,now i have the surviving 10 which shouldbe the strong ones.I usually get high germination on these and high death rate within the first 2yrs but am happy with the results.These are outside all year round.Have not figured out how to post photo yet

• 2 weeks later...

Gary!

Nice to meet you!

Always good to see fellow-sufferers from way-down-under, or, perhaps, way-high-above . . . .

Post some pics of your garden, your neighborhood, I wanna see.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 10 years later...

I just bought c. alpinum and quindense seed from RPS after seeing the ones at the Botanical Garden in San Francisco. I know I'm pushing my luck with these but it never hurts to try right? 

Does anyone have updates on the ceroxylons in warm, inland locations? Share pictures please!

I'd share a pic of my Ceroxylon quindiuense and echinulatum but they are are only seedlings so not that exciting. I have my fingers crossed that this summer (thier second) will be kind to them.

• Upvote 1