Sign in to follow this  
palmhort

Thank you from a Biennial "Newbie"

palmhort

I just wanted to thank everyone for a great first Biennial! For years I have read about the Biennials but wasn't able to attend either from lack of time or funds. It was great to finally meet people whose names I have come across repeatedly. I also was amazed at how warm, friendly, helpfull and down-to-earth everyone was. From introducing me to others, to answering questions, everyone was amazing!

I would like to thank everyone who organized the Biennial. I'm sure it was an extremely difficult and complicated venture but overall, it seemed flawless. The accomodations were very comfortable, the food delicious and the gardens simply out of this world!! Kim Cyr, thanks for answering all my endless email questions about my transportation issues, Jeff Searle and his wife, thanks for the amazing garden tour in Key West and also showing me your home garden and chatting with me at your nursery.

It truly was incredible to meet and chat with people from all over the world...Australia, Israel, Switzerland, Scotland, etc, etc. To share stories and experiences was truly inspiring.

Although I'm not sure I will be able to attend the next Biennial, I am gratefull I was able to attend this one and to the new friendships I made thru the IPS. Thanks again!

Jeff Bielski

New Jersey

• Upvote 1

bgl

Jeff,

Great to hear that you had such a good time and I'm glad I had the opportunity to meet you! As a matter of fact, pretty much right away at Searle's Nursery since you ended up sitting right next to me! :) And I do hope you'll be able to attend the next one as well. It's going to be REAL good one, I'm quite certain of that! :)

Aloha,

Bo-Göran

Walter John

I missed this post and just wanted to respond, great to meet you Jeff, that was my 2nd biennial so I understand how you felt, plus my first time to USA, the people and palms were fantastic.

As Bo hinted, the 2016 biennial will be as grand and exciting as any before.

sushubbell

Dear Jeff:

Please check out the trip planned before our Madagascar Board meeting in October. The IPS trips are planned by members very experienced with the areas and I have enjoyed everyone of them for the past 12 years! They are well worth saving up for!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• MameyDisco
      By MameyDisco
      SFPS Guest, Monday OCT. 19, 2020 - 7:20PM - REGISTRATION REQUIRED (SFPS Members & Non Members Invited)   Click here to register. - http://bit.ly/SFPS2020OCT   "Defaunation in the Anthropocene" presented by Dr. Mauro Galetti, Director of the Gifford Arboretum (University of Miami, Coral Gables, Florida)     Dr. Mauro Galetti is a tropical ecologist at the University of Miami and Director of the Gifford Arboretum. His current research centers broadly on the effects of animal extinction on key ecological, evolutionary and ecosystem processes. Current understanding of the effects of animal extinction and the cascading effects in terrestrial ecosystems has been historically based in relatively simple food webs. In contrast, the effects of human-induced trophic cascades in hyper-diverse complex ecosystems, such as tropical rainforests, are largely unknown.

Dr. Galetti has been studying seed dispersal by fish, lizards, birds, and mammals, including extinct megafauna. He sees the extinction of large vertebrates during the last 50,000 years as a continuous human-driven impact on the biodiversity on Earth. Dr. Galetti is fascinated by rainforests and has been working in the Atlantic forests of South America for many years.

About 90% of all tree species rely on animal- dispersal and as a result, Dr. Galetti is trying to understand how the loss of seed dispersers will affect plant recruitment and how this ultimately will affect climate and other ecosystem functions.

Defaunation, known as the local, global or functional extinction of animals, has become a major biodiversity threat. In this talk, Dr. Galetti will take the audience to the myriad of consequences of animal extinction in these 3 scales: local, global and functional. His main focus here is to introduce cascading consequences of losing animals for plant reproduction (seed dispersal) up to the ecosystem scale (carbon storage). Finally, Dr. Galetti will be presenting his new work on the effects of defaunation in the Caribbean Island ecosystems.

Click here to register. - http://bit.ly/SFPS2020OCT   Don't forget $1.00 Memberships for anyone under 40 yrs.! Redeem only in person. https://www.southfloridapalmsociety.org/join.shtml

Have a friend that's interested in palms? 

Send them our quick e-mail signup link!

It's FREE!

http://eepurl.com/gCxkUD

• MameyDisco
      By MameyDisco
      South Florida Palm Society
      (SFPS), Miami, Florida
      SEPTEMBER 19th, 2020 - 2 Ticketed Sessions - (10:00 AM - 1:00 PM) & (1:00 PM - 4:00 PM)
      SFPS Members have made some nice donations... at least 20+ genera will be available in limited quantities as this is a ticketed and time restricted / slotted event. 
      Various other local societies will be there as well such as The Rare Fruit Council International (RFCI), Tropical Flowering Tree Society (TFTS), Tropical Fern & Exotic Plant Society (TFEPS) and various local orchid societies from Miami & Coral Gables. Fairchild Garden will also be selling plants... first event of its kind in a while which is why I wanted to share.
      We welcome anyone under 40 years of age to join for $1.00 membership fee, everyone else you're still welcome to join.
      Event Page: https://fairchildgarden.org/eventon/plant-club-day/
      Tickets are required (limited qty.) - https://store.fairchildgarden.org/EventPurchase.aspx?dateselected=9/19/2020

• kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      This will be a 3 day field trip.  Members can feel free to attend any or all of the days.  More information available here:
      https://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/65030-central-florida-palm-cycad-society-fall-meeting-fri-10022020-to-sun-10042020/
      If you are not a member, but would like to become one - or if you were previously a member and would like to renew: http://cfpacs.com/org/membership-info/
    • kinzyjr
      By kinzyjr
      If you are a CFPACS Member or former member, you should have received an email regarding the itinerary for the fall meeting.  If you are not a past or present member, but are interested in joining and/or attending, please PM me at your earliest convenience.  CFPACS was able to get a block of rooms reserved at a special group rate in the Miami area for our attendees.  The details of how to lock in the group rate are included in the email sent earlier, but you will need to reserve a room by Monday, August 31st, 2020.  The tentative itinerary is shared below:
      Tentative Itinerary

Date

Time

Description

Friday, October 2nd, 2020

10:00AM
      to
      4:00PM

Nursery and Plant Sale Visits (starting at Searle ~10am)
      Some members are going down early Friday to check out some of the South Florida nurseries.  These are some of the South Florida nurseries that members have suggested they wanted to visit.
      Fall Searle Sale: 6640 SW 172nd Ave., Southwest Ranches, FL 33331
      Richard Lyons’ Nursery: 20200 SW 134th Ave, Miami, FL 33177
      Redlands Nursery: 18455 SW 264th St, Homestead, FL 33031
      Action Theory Landscaping and Nursery: 22401 SW 130th Ave,Miami, FL 33170
      Saturday, October 3rd, 2020

10:00am
      Montgomery Botanical Center: 11901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables, FL 33156
      Attendees will be split in groups of 10 for tours of this wonderful 120-acre botanical garden.  Please bring a brown bag lunch and either a chair or blanket to sit on while you are eating.

Sunday, October 4th, 2020

12:00 Noon
      Private Garden Cookout: TBA, Hollywood, FL
      Attendees enjoy a hamburgers and hot dogs style cookout on a property large enough to allow plenty of social distance per CDC guidelines.  Please bring a chair or blanket to sit on while you are eating.  The garden contains plenty of mature palm specimens and a large pond, including several Tahina spectabilis.  There will be a garden tour and a palm raffle at this event.  Please bring long clothes and/or mosquito repellent.
      Optional

?
      Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens: 10901 Old Cutler Rd., Coral Gables, FL 33156
      Some members have expressed an interest in attending this wonderful 83-acre garden.  To our knowledge, they are not accepting reciprocal passes at the moment and are offering two 3-hour tours per day (10am and 1pm).  This can be done on your own if you wish as it is not formally scheduled.

• SW_FL_Palms
      By SW_FL_Palms
      IPS has posted it's pre & post tours.   Unfortunately, the do not go to areas where you can see the Spiny Forest, Succulents,  Baobabs.  Of course, it is the palm society so they are focused on palms.
      Is there anyone out there that would like to join us on Madagascar tour that would take us to see the iconic plants that I listed above ?   A tour company will customize. and provide a quote    So let me know if you are interested, and preference for either before or after the biennial in Reunion.