IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms and Cycads........the perfect match ?

trioderob

AXEL-

I get it

you don't like Cycads that much.

It's not that I don't like them, it's that I find them challenging, but I am willing to learn. I like them as a complement to my palm garden, but I wouldn't go out of my way to collect them. I collect palms, but not cycads. I may take a more keen interest in them in the future when i am done expanding my palm collection.

You guys are talking about two different subjects. One, Growing marginal plants in your garden, which is generally not a good idea. Two, whether or not certain plants go well with other plants. To that I say it would be a mistake to exclude any type of plant as they all look great together if done right. A good looking plant is a good looking plant. Right now I am working on mixing in Bonsai trees into my yard. You could say palms, cycads, succulents, bromeliads,CA natives and bonsai trees don't go together, but I have all of them and I love the look. Do what ever you think looks good. Some will like it and some won't, but if you like it then who cares.

• Upvote 2

Encinitas, CA

Zone 10b

You guys are talking about two different subjects. One, Growing marginal plants in your garden, which is generally not a good idea. Two, whether or not certain plants go well with other plants. To that I say it would be a mistake to exclude any type of plant as they all look great together if done right. A good looking plant is a good looking plant. Right now I am working on mixing in Bonsai trees into my yard. You could say palms, cycads, succulents, bromeliads,CA natives and bonsai trees don't go together, but I have all of them and I love the look. Do what ever you think looks good. Some will like it and some won't, but if you like it then who cares.

Pictures please!!! Sounds very interesting.

FYI cycads are not marginal here, but my care for them is, that was something I had to conceede.

palms and bonsai

that is an interesting combo and many times they grow at the same rate here

Some people like Rembrandt and others prefer Dali.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Would like to try a couple Microcycas from Cuba if they were available.

-Nathan-

Like this one?

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-86365400-1401942048_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Aztropic,

Nice find, figured you came across these while on your trip. Is what looks like another Cycad in the background ( below the house where it appears a roof is being repaired? ) the same species? Also noticed the little one near the base.

-Nathan-

Would like to try a couple Microcycas from Cuba if they were available.

-Nathan-

Like this one?

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

I am glad to see what I experience growing this plant looks to be a norm even there. It seems this plant will brown-out and drop it's leaflets before it is ready to start a new flush. Just guessing but it looks like the plant is like some of the grassland Encephalartos in that it doesn't like to hold more then one good flush of leaves.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

AXEL-

I get it

you don't like Cycads that much.

It's not that I don't like them, it's that I find them challenging, but I am willing to learn. I like them as a complement to my palm garden, but I wouldn't go out of my way to collect them. I collect palms, but not cycads. I may take a more keen interest in them in the future when i am done expanding my palm collection.

:floor: Sometimes you give the impression of you being a starter, though you are not, so you must be an idealist!

Aztropic,

Nice find, figured you came across these while on your trip. Is what looks like another Cycad in the background ( below the house where it appears a roof is being repaired? ) the same species? Also noticed the little one near the base.

-Nathan-

The cycad growing close to the house is probably a Cycas thouarsii or circinalis.

Simon

Hi Axel

I am growing a few cycads in my garden with good results

1 Cycas revoluta - gets 2 huge flushes every summer

2 Macrozamoia macdonnelii flushed this Summer ( first year in the ground )

3 Encephalartos princeps

4 Encephalartos lehmannii

5 Lepizamia perroskiana ( spelling ? )

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

This is another Cuban native cycad I came across in habitat. Feel free to ID.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-0-23780100-1401970698_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Here are a few of my cycad/palm combos.

post-175-0-76310900-1402002005_thumb.jpg

post-175-0-30732200-1402002063_thumb.jpg

post-175-0-00227100-1402002108_thumb.jpg

post-175-0-25261300-1402002156_thumb.jpg

The best combo of all is one that includes cycads,bromeliads and Palms

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I, too, disagree with most of what you have said about cycads, Axel. Developing a "global view" of anything based on rumors and/or what you have read on the internet does not seem to me to be a viable approach. There are hundreds (probably thousands) of people in California growing cycads quite well. While they can be more expensive than palms, most species are significantly less common than most palm species and are, in general, slower growing. But that does not mean they are slow if grown correctly. In addition, there are actually quite a number of cycads that perform very well in high pH soil -- this I know firsthand. Furthermore, growing cycads well in a dry, arid climate can be down fairly easily, as several well-known growers in Arizona will attest.

Axel "poo-pooed" the Cycads too quickly.............. :beat_deadhorse:

Edited by trioderob

I, too, disagree with most of what you have said about cycads, Axel. Developing a "global view" of anything based on rumors and/or what you have read on the internet does not seem to me to be a viable approach. There are hundreds (probably thousands) of people in California growing cycads quite well. While they can be more expensive than palms, most species are significantly less common than most palm species and are, in general, slower growing. But that does not mean they are slow if grown correctly. In addition, there are actually quite a number of cycads that perform very well in high pH soil -- this I know firsthand. Furthermore, growing cycads well in a dry, arid climate can be down fairly easily, as several well-known growers in Arizona will attest.

You're a little late to the bashing fest. :) I've already conceded my erroneous thinking. Now I just have to figure out how to make mine grow. I promise I won't "poo-poo" cycads if you and others can share good growing tips so mine can "grow correctly". I'll take any constructive tips you have on getting them to speed up, because so far, mine look like crap.

Based on PT, I thought combining the 2 was a natural for anyone 9b and higher. Choices go down dramatically for us 9a and lower folks, thus I never found them very appealing. Plus the prices are outrageously stupid, imho.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Prices come from the time it takes to grow a 5g or 15g plant. Plus the demand and rarity of certain species. Almost any common species cycads can be had for $15 to $40 for seedlings, After you spend 5 years growing a seedling you may think its worth paying up for a 6" or larger plant. LOL

Based on PT, I thought combining the 2 was a natural for anyone 9b and higher. Choices go down dramatically for us 9a and lower folks, thus I never found them very appealing. Plus the prices are outrageously stupid, imho.

What? You don't like paying $200 for a seed? :floor:

Edit: I stand corrected, try $300. http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/40701-encephalartos-latifrons-trapps-valley-form-for-sale/. It's obviously a fair price since they sold at that price. You can always trade in the house next and put in a trailer instead. :)

I don't even like paying $200 for an 8 foot palm. Call me cheap. Rare and exotic can snare somebody else's ego and pocket book. I'll settle for down to earth, reasonable and good looking. Same way I chose my wife. :winkie:

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I don't even like paying $200 for an 8 foot palm. Call me cheap. Rare and exotic can snare somebody else's ego and pocket book. I'll settle for down to earth, reasonable and good looking. Same way I chose my wife. :winkie:

Speaking of which, I don't think my wife would be too keen on me buying a $300 seed.

I agree - rare and exotic is no way to choose a wife. That's what girlfriends are for. :hmm:

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Now if someone likes rare plants and pays more for something than your threshold, now it is because of "egos"?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Keith, thats a bunch of crap and insulting and i need to respond. No man settles for a wife because shes down to earth. If your a 5, your wife will be a 5. If your a 10, your wife is a 10. Women don't settle either, they land the best man their station in life and looks will get them. When someone says someone buys a more expensive plant for ego, its because their jealous, have an inferiority complex, or bitter they cant buy the same plant. They drive around in a crappy Smart Car and insult the guy in the Beamer. Just remember, there is someone with less than you and saying the same thing about you and your cheap 8' palm, its all relative. All i know is If i meet someone rich that owns a mansion, i don't insult them, i strive to improve myself and achieve the most i can achieve.

• Like 1

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

If you want to understand how plants from completely different backgrounds can be put together you must get perhaps my favorite book. Robert Riffle's "The Tropical Look". You will never again think cycads, palms, succulents, cacti and other groups cannot compliment each other. They can be brought together to create the most impressive landscapes. All palms can be monotonous but add a few succulents (aloes, yuccas, fucraea's) and it really sets it on fire.

patrick

• Upvote 1

Bonita, California (San Diego)

Zone 10B

10 Year Low of 29 degrees

6 Miles from San Diego Bay

Mild winters, somewhat warm summers

10 Miles North of Mexico/USA Border

1 acre

I agree Patrick. Dont forget to mix in some tropical trees for the all around garden look.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

I agree - rare and exotic is no way to choose a wife. That's what girlfriends are for. :hmm:

:floor::floor::floor:

Sounds like class warfare is alive and well on PalmTalk. :)

Keith, thats a bunch of crap and insulting and i need to respond. No man settles for a wife because shes down to earth. If your a 5, your wife will be a 5. If your a 10, your wife is a 10. Women don't settle either, they land the best man their station in life and looks will get them. When someone says someone buys a more expensive plant for ego, its because their jealous, have an inferiority complex, or bitter they cant buy the same plant. They drive around in a crappy Smart Car and insult the guy in the Beamer. Just remember, there is someone with less than you and saying the same thing about you and your cheap 8' palm, its all relative. All i know is If i meet someone rich that owns a mansion, i don't insult them, i strive to improve myself and achieve the most i can achieve.

I actually don't know anyone who owns an expensive cycad because it might be a status symbol. Owning an expensive cycad comes from the desire to collect the rare and exotic, and if you've never done it, you can't relate.

As for people, Gary, I have to disagree with you, people are beyond measure, and that includes wives or husbands.

Give it up Axel, you live in the redwoods with banana slugs that have never tasted a banana :mrlooney:

Bob, you can lay off now, I will eventually come around to appreciating cycads. I've got a swath of land that's under a view easement and therefore off limits to trunking palms. But before I shell out any more money on cycads, I need to prove to myself I can get mine to grow.

When palms are well established and you have to look up to view its great to have cycads at ground level to easily view and the new flush of Encephalartos and Dioons are "a beautiful site".

Sorry the pic from here is a few yrs old but Im weeding here right now and not photographic :) Pete

post-5709-0-28083000-1402109390_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-54048600-1402109396_thumb.jp

Wow, you take me way to seriously, buddy. Shame of me for not adding the smiley face at the end or something. It's OK. Everyone lives their own lives. I really don't care what people spend their money on, really, I don't. And they should not give a crap about what I say, either. Sorry my post was taken the wrong way but come on, I am nobody, really. Whatever I say is irrelevant to those I don't even really know. If I piqued some sensitivity, then that is theirs to explore, and none of my business.

At least someone here has a sense of humor.

Wow, you take me way to seriously, buddy. Shame of me for not adding the smiley face at the end or something. It's OK. Everyone lives their own lives. I really don't care what people spend their money on, really, I don't. And they should not give a crap about what I say, either. Sorry my post was taken the wrong way but come on, I am nobody, really. Whatever I say is irrelevant to those I don't even really know. If I piqued some sensitivity, then that is theirs to explore, and none of my business.

I stand corrected Kieth. Glad you were not serious. But i see so many people that believe this kind of nonsense that it aggravates me. Just add smiley faces from now on and were good.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

:bemused: :bemused: :bemused: :bemused:

:floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor: :floor:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Nice shots Pete. And so true that palms grow over head and sometimes can not longer really be appreciated to the same degree they were small.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

Wow, what a thread, and what a fury of PMs that have ensued. I get it when people are passionate about something, and it was never my intent to offend anyone. I like cycads even though my wallet doesn't, and I would love to be able to cure my brown cycad thumb.

If I have offended any cycad lover, then I apologize. And I am obviously ignorant on the topic, I know about as much about cycads as I know about Cloudforest daisies, which isn't much. But I am willing to learn.

One last thought: I am scared of the $300 seeds, because I am the type that if I got into this type of collecting, then I might buy something like that. So maybe also consider that trying to keep a little distance from cycads might be a way of protecting my wallet. :)

Pete, I am going to have that same problem.Most of my palms are going to grow much taller and I will be left with only trunks to look at.I have been underplanting with Ceratozamias, Zamias, and some shade tolerant Encephalartos and Dioons.

And you can never have too many bromeliads.

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c