IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms and Cycads........the perfect match ?

trioderob

Wow, what a thread, and what a fury of PMs that have ensued. I get it when people are passionate about something, and it was never my intent to offend anyone. I like cycads even though my wallet doesn't, and I would love to be able to cure my brown cycad thumb.

If I have offended any cycad lover, then I apologize. And I am obviously ignorant on the topic, I know about as much about cycads as I know about Cloudforest daisies, which isn't much. But I am willing to learn.

One last thought: I am scared of the $300 seeds, because I am the type that if I got into this type of collecting, then I might buy something like that. So maybe also consider that trying to keep a little distance from cycads might be a way of protecting my wallet. :)

Axel I bought this Cycad revoluta in a 4 inch pot 5 years ago for $20, no idea where your getting your prices from, maybe its best you stay away from cycads for the sake of your wallet

post-7381-0-14067100-1402178506_thumb.jp

• Like 1

When I first end started my garden I was most interested in palms. My tastes continue to change after viewing many other gardens and books and a combined palette of plants of my genus and species produced the look I prefer. Here is an example of one section of my garden with many of my favorite plants in combination.post-370-0-15601500-1402187072_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Jeffry Brusseau

"Cuesta Linda"

Vista, California

Looks great Jeff and as i know it's just the tip of the Iceberg

• Upvote 1

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Cycads are easier to grow than palms. They are slow, but they are carefree.

Here where I live Cycas revoluta is very popular and common. Almost every garden have one.

Some from Arboretum Trsteno ( Dubrovnik ).

img0643fp8.jpg

img0642qp5.jpg

ARBORETUM024.jpg

ARBORETUM023.jpg

ARBORETUM010.jpg

Edited by Cikas
  • Like 2

Wow, what a thread, and what a fury of PMs that have ensued. I get it when people are passionate about something, and it was never my intent to offend anyone. I like cycads even though my wallet doesn't, and I would love to be able to cure my brown cycad thumb.

If I have offended any cycad lover, then I apologize. And I am obviously ignorant on the topic, I know about as much about cycads as I know about Cloudforest daisies, which isn't much. But I am willing to learn.

One last thought: I am scared of the $300 seeds, because I am the type that if I got into this type of collecting, then I might buy something like that. So maybe also consider that trying to keep a little distance from cycads might be a way of protecting my wallet. :)

Axel I bought this Cycad revoluta in a 4 inch pot 5 years ago for $20, no idea where your getting your prices from, maybe its best you stay away from cycads for the sake of your wallet
Cycas revoluta is not representative of the price of cycads as a whole - at least in California. Here, C. revoluta is propogated en masse and distributed by the thousands by big box retailers. Edited by Sabal Steve

You said it Steve, the sago palm is indeed one of the most commoditized plants on the planet. Paying $20 for a 4" pot IMHO is paying way too much. $35 will buy you a big 5 gallon plant at Home Depot. I actually have sagos and they do grow fine, I wasn't counting them because they're so common.

i was thinking some of the cycads advertised in the for sale section of PalmTalk, $300 for a seed, now we're talking expensive.

The one I would still like to try is Encephalartos lehmanii. Probably not cheap either.

You said it Steve, the sago palm is indeed one of the most commoditized plants on the planet. Paying $20 for a 4" pot IMHO is paying way too much. $35 will buy you a big 5 gallon plant at Home Depot. I actually have sagos and they do grow fine, I wasn't counting them because they're so common.

i was thinking some of the cycads advertised in the for sale section of PalmTalk, $300 for a seed, now we're talking expensive.

The one I would still like to try is Encephalartos lehmanii. Probably not cheap either.

I just got an E lehmanii and an E longifolius to try, Axel. Not cheap, but wanted to try them here. Acclimatizing them at the minute so will probably plant in a few weeks.

The other cycad that seems pretty reasonable are Dioon Edules. I have a few seedlings if you wanted to try one of them.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Axel-

you keep talking $300 a seed.

here is where someone who knows cycads has the upper hand on you.

that $300 seed is for a the holy grail Cycad - in this case you are paying 300 to have a living example of this plant.

you have time against you as it will take 30 years to turn into something great - but if you did keep it alive - you have a prize that is worth ALOT of money.

how much would you pay for a seedling palm that was a one in million bright ruby flaming red colored triangle palm that could survive in your area ?

Edited by trioderob

Axel-

you keep talking $300 a seed.

here is where someone who knows cycads has the upper hand on you.

that $300 seed is for a the holy grail Cycad - in this case you are paying 300 to have a living example of this plant.

you have time against you as it will take 30 years to turn into something great - but if you did keep it alive - you have a prize that is worth ALOT of money.

how much would you pay for a seedling palm that was a one in million bright ruby flaming red colored triangle palm that could survive in your area ?

Rob, I see you want to keep this discussion going, eh?

Yes, I realize that $300 is for a holy grail, sorta like a coco de mer seed, which actually run more like $700 "if" you can even find one. It would be nice if Randy could chime in and say something about this holy grail, since he was selling it.

I know it's just a matter of time before I get into cycads. Hopefully I won't get such a bad cycad fever that I would hunt down the holy grail. :)

Coco de mer at $700 a seed? Where do I sign up? I'll take 10. Plant 3 and flip the rest... :yay:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Coco de mer at $700 a seed? Where do I sign up? I'll take 10. Plant 3 and flip the rest... :yay:

What if I told you have 5 of these sitting on my heat bench? Would you believe me?

i have heard of the $700 figure...unfortunately it includes neither the travel or time expense. Im with Kim...ill take a few more

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

What if I told you have 5 of these sitting on my heat bench? Would you believe me?

Let's just say I wouldn't put it past you. :mrlooney: They may end up being purely decorative unless you can transport them to a supportive climate. It's almost criminal to think of someone trying to grow them in northern California. :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Let's just say I wouldn't put it past you. :mrlooney: They may end up being purely decorative unless you can transport them to a supportive climate. It's almost criminal to think of someone trying to grow them in northern California. :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

He'd have to have a bench big enough for a diesel truck for the containers needed.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Who's talking about growing a lodoicea in Northern California? Aren't ones that start to germinate worth a lot more? Shipping a seed with an erection might be a tad more challenging, though.

Maybe we can try growing a lodoicea on top Jim in Los Altos' sewer line. :floor:

Lodoicea_germinate.jpg

• Upvote 1

This is an interesting discussion, but I cannot figure out why some palm enthusiasts have a need to constantly say negative things about cycad enthusiasts. There are certainly many people who appreciate both, but this idea that cycad collectors are snobs or stupid for spending what is perceived by some as "too much" is ridiculous. I wouldn't mind having a Bugatti Veyron, but there isn't a chance in hell that I would spend anything close to the retail price to have one. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the look and engineering that went into the car. I also wouldn't look down on and insult somebody driving one (unless the person was driving poorly :bemused: ). I joined IPS and this forum because I felt that I was ignorant of palms and wanted to learn more. When I see this kind of behavior, it makes it a lot less appealing.

For my climate in the Keys, I prefer crotons for my palm jewelry over cycads. With the never ending array of color, leaf shapes and size, I think they are the ultimate compliment for most palms. I am, however, a real sucker for tropical Zamias (imperials, skinneri, fairchildiana, etc.) and blue Encephalartos species, and use them in my landscapes as much as possible.

:bemused:

Rob, this avatar you have of this old guy ripped up is an actual guy that works out in the 24 Hour fitness off Highway 76 in Oceanside. I see him every day because I train there at lunch. This picture was jacked from him without his permission and all these companies are using it to pimp their products illegally.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

GARY-

I wont pimp any products - I promise.

I am trying to get jacked too at 53- I am working on the "six pack"

:36_14_15[1]:

Edited by trioderob

Cycads are just plain cool. Not one of them is common in situ. The vast majority are covered by the CITES treaty. I find their history and long duration on the planet enough to respect them as a category. I (generally) understand why they are expensive, in contrast with, say, Bamboo which propagates easily and grows fast. If some folks think I'm a snob for buying some cycads, tough boogies, you are just being a curmudgeon. :badday: Besides, Palms and Cycads look great together, especially with Bromeliads and aroids. If you want to start a new, expensive collecting habit, go buy Loran Whitelock's book and get hooked. I'm sure you can find a place under the swaying palms to feature some dinosaur browse!

Awe crap, I forgot the smily face. :bemused::mrlooney:

• Upvote 1

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

you folks cant see mixing in a few of these with the palms as a compliment to each other ?

Encephalartos_latifrons06.jpg

absolutely fantastic. i love them equally to palms....

• Upvote 2

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

• 6 years later...
On 6/5/2014 at 7:37 AM, Tassie_Troy1971 said:

Hi Axel

I am growing a few cycads in my garden with good results

1 Cycas revoluta - gets 2 huge flushes every summer

2 Macrozamoia macdonnelii flushed this Summer ( first year in the ground )

3 Encephalartos princeps

4 Encephalartos lehmannii

5 Lepizamia perroskiana ( spelling ? )

How are the flushes on the latter 3?

CodyORB,  sorry to tell you that responses are unlikely from these two individuals within this old thread.   Trioderob has dropped Palmtalk participation, and Brahea Axel is a 'stumphead'  (banned).

Perhaps someone else can offer info about the flush frequency of E. princeps since many here grow cycads.    :winkie:

• Like 1

San Francisco, California

On 6/9/2014 at 2:54 PM, Brahea Axel said:

Who's talking about growing a lodoicea in Northern California? Aren't ones that start to germinate worth a lot more? Shipping a seed with an erection might be a tad more challenging, though.

Maybe we can try growing a lodoicea on top Jim in Los Altos' sewer line. :floor:

Lodoicea_germinate.jpg

:interesting::D:rolleyes::floor:

OMG.  To think I missed this post six years ago!  I really need a Lodoicea for my collection.  Does anyone remember when a vendor called "Ortanique" was selling Lodoicea seed years ago.  As far as I am aware, this vendor has not been operational for years.  Someone needs to find a way to start offering a few seeds on the market.  But I understand the island nation to which they are native restricts the export of seed.

• Like 1

Joseph from Ortanique is no longer in the palm seed business.  He took over the seed business from the late Inge Hoffmann, called "Seed Service".

I don't have direct knowledge but I believe that the export of viable Lodoiciea nuts has been prohibited in general and is now restricted to botanical institutions.   

• Upvote 2

San Francisco, California

17 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

sorry to tell you that responses are unlikely from these two individuals within this old thread.   Trioderob has dropped Palmtalk participation, and Brahea Axel is a 'stumphead'  (banned).

Darold, even though neither Trioderob or Brahea Axel are here to defend their positions, I will share that I have "no opinion" on the original proposition which was whether planting cycads with palms is an appropriate mix of plants.  :P.  Not to :beat_deadhorse:

20200407-104A6192.jpg

• Like 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

On 6/4/2014 at 9:22 AM, waykoolplantz said:

i am well known as not a cycad fan...they bite for one...but i have some friends, whose knowledge and passion i respect, that are fanatics.

I am learning to appreciate them and can actually imagine one of those blu-grey thingies in my Pseudophoenix bed

So the question is, did you ever get around to trying one in your Pseudophoenix bed?  I can't claim to have a Pseudophoenix bed, but I do have one and it's planted with a grey/green and a green "thingies".  A friend of mine encouraged me to get that Pseudophoenix sargentii ssp saonae var navassana for that spot, and I'm glad I did plant it there in my cycad bed.

20200707-BH3I0469.jpg

• Like 4

164850C3-CF8F-4018-A50E-5C90ADC993BA.jpeg

• Like 4

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

• 6 months later...

Mix & Match.  Colors, textures, flowering, non-flowering, pinnate leaf and fan leaf.  Prehistoric for me.

20210129-BH3I2526.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

I am most likely late to the game, but the prehistoric look is now my goal for every house I do a garden in. I can count how many cycads I have in two hands but if my bank account allowed it I would been over my head with cycads and blueish palms. My girlfriend thinks I am crazy, but I think I am a completionist. I have Zamias, Cycas, Encephalartos, Dioons, and Mircocycas. Prehistoric Ferns like Angiopteris Angustiflolia (envita I wish) and Tree ferns. I will make a jungle.

• Like 1

Well this was a wild thread. Yikes. Cycads and palms are both awesome together. That is all. :)

• Like 1