IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PACSOA annual show/sale

Walter John

Today was the first day of the Palm and Cycad society of Austarlia annual show/sale. A great turnout and a great day to get together with palm friends.

showdaythree.jpg

Variegated Rhaphis species, rather expensive, some sold.

showdaytwo.jpg

Col in palm salesman heaven.

showdayseven.jpg

I was in competition with a few other photographers

showdayfour.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

showdaysix.jpg

The Newcal twins, Mike and Andy, although heavily disguised in dark sunglasses were still spotted advising the buyers.

showdayone.jpg

The cycad sales area

showdayfive.jpg

Some great specials to be had

showdayeight.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The show was held at the Mount Cooth-tha botanical gardens auditorium so we decided to have a quick wander to the gardens when things slowed down around lunch time. Here's a few pics.

Encephalartos Cycad cone. Male or female ?

showdayinthegardens4.jpg

Daryl and Andy inspect the variances of the different Dypsis madagascariensis palms growing there.

showdayinthegardens1.jpg

This Encephalartos cycad looked in a great position against this colourful grass.

showdayinthegardens2.jpg

Mike at a neat looking Satakentia

showdayinthegardens3.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

And here was my only purchase from today, owing to funds availability, Dypsis albofarinosa, for $4-00 aud which is only $3-00 us. My first plant of this species.

showdaypurchase.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's a photo from our walk today. Trunk looks very similar to that of a coconut, only red-brown in colour.

becc-trunk.jpg

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

nice pics wal and daryl !a good day for sales considering the current water shortage climate !anyway had a great day none the less and picked up a few bargains as well ! daryl,when are you going to post the recent photos of port hinchinbrook?

(Bilbo @ Mar. 03 2007,20:49)

Wal, you seem to have lost your head!

Regardez

Juan

I had a bad head day so all you get is the palm and of course, the shirt, which is more important. :P

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here's another from our break in the gardens, Dypsis lastelliana on the right, but what's that on the left ?

showdaydypsiswhat.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wal,

Very nice photos. I would have a field day, trying to buy all these palms. Looks like a kid in a candy store. What a great selection, especially all the var. Rhapis! Thanks!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

We all had a good day, Daryl grabbed a couple of Dypsis baroni (that are'nt) and when when Clayton grabbed some named (incorrectly ) Dypsis (and said i have never seen this before) i knew something special was going on. Got a couple myself. look forward to the delivery end of next week

After setting up the show the newcal twins(Mike and Andy), Daryl amd myself retired to Daryls for a gentlemenly midnight beer and Barbecue. had a good night. Thanks Daryl for the Bed and breakfast. Beside rare palm and cycad vendors, collectors put there extra seedlings for sale at the show. so you never know what turns up. !000klms up 1000klms back. Would not miss it

regards

colin

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

Just got home fom day two, nowhere near as busy as yesterday. Interesting to note that there was/is two good size hybrid palms (red neck/triangle) for sale and I tried to sell them as suggestions but people didn't want them. At only 18.00 AUD = 14.1049 USD a pop in a 250ml (10 inch) pot too. I bet there's people on this board who would have liked that opportunity. Forgot to take my camera unfortunately.

Gave this guy a home, for $4, Dypsis hovomandrina.

showdaybuy2.jpg

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Wal @ Mar. 03 2007,08:43)

Here's another from our break in the gardens, Dypsis lastelliana on the right, but what's that on the left ?

Hello Wal,

i would like to know what it is, I have an idea but I don't want to look too stupid if I'm wrong :P  I'm happy the sale was good and I enjoy your pictures. I will be looking forward to seeing your new aquisitions when they are mature!  Probably in a year or so :D

Regards, Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

Nice stuff.  It looks like quite a sale.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

looks like alotta fun.i'd love to check out that botanical garden someday :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

You should all visit OZ and see all the gardens, the people and the fun

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

when will there be a "biennial" there?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

It was a great day and as a 'first timer' I was surprised at the large variety of plants as well as the public interest! So much behind the scenes work went into the two day show and the PASCOA committee should be congratulated on a job well done! It was great to finally meet you Wal, and some of the other identities from this forum! By the way, when is the next meeting?

Cheers

Thanks Wal for posting those.

Lou and Stan stayed with us over the weekend and they wondered how the sale went.

They are off to Baja today with Jeff Chemnick.

I'm going to try and fit in a visit with the sale next year to pick up some palms for the Childers property.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

That picture of Mike with a Satakentia justifies my rash recent decision to buy two of them.  Contrary to advice from Fairchild, that one looks very content under a canopy.  So maybe I don't have to worry too much about partial shade?

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(eastern.nurseries @ Mar. 06 2007,18:08)

It was a great day and as a 'first timer' I was surprised at the large variety of plants as well as the public interest! So much behind the scenes work went into the two day show and the PASCOA committee should be congratulated on a job well done! It was great to finally meet you Wal, and some of the other identities from this forum! By the way, when is the next meeting?

Cheers

Hi Jon

Nice meeting you too, tis a great day, the last Tuesday of this month is our next meeting, that would be the 27th March. Come along (you could always bring along a small palm for the raffle  :) )

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nice!!!

You guys Down Under get all the cool palms.

How much longer are your US palms in quarantine Colin and Daryl??

I just picked up a few unknown dypsis up here from Ron Lawyer.  The dypsis mystery is always growing fortunately! :)

JD