IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm that I planted is a bit crooked... Meh

smithgn

I've been resisting the urge for the past few weeks, telling myself I have enough plants and palms this growing season, but I gave in and purchased a ~4 foot tall Livistona Chinensis and planted it yesterday. After spending more time than I probably should have, meticulously planting my new palm and mixing/spreading the soil, I finally stood back and took a look at it.

It looked great, but it was just a tad, tad crooked. The plant is not straight up or down, as positioned in the soil. No casual observer would probably notice this, but I do.

My question is, will a palm eventually "straighten out" after a few years of growing? Or will it forever stay in this kind of crooked position? It's not a big deal, and if it was, I'd just dig it back and re-position it, but I suppose it's a big enough deal that I thought I should post this question on here (Haha). So what do y'all think?

I realize I'm not answering your question, but if it bothers you I'd just straighten it up now. Should be easy enough.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

I guess I'm going more for an experimental thing now. Like I said, I'll probably be the only person to notice it- but was just curious. I'm just going to monitor it.

A lot of hotels plant palms at angles to get that curved look because they naturally straighten them selves out.

dig it out and straighten it up, or it will bother you every time you look at it.

If there is no trunk you would likely never be able to tell in the future..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

just remove some soil around the root ball and push it straight, then fill the space at the other side. Shouldn't be that hard unless it's *really* crooked, in which case see opthamologist.

leave it alone. not worth the effort. im guessing it has no trunk and by the time it starts trunking it will be straight.

If it has no trunk it'll grow straight after a while.

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Yep, it'll straighten out on its own.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I wouldn't mess with it either. It will grow out of its slant. Do you have a picture of this palm you can post? If it's under canopy,it may grow at a slight slant towards brighter light.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Dude, you could lay that thing on its side and it'll straighten itself out.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matty- Lol Good to know. Thanks all. Like I said, not a big deal, but was just wondering. I almost forgot but I did take a few post planting pictures in a rush. They're anything but glamorous. Here's a few shots, one that displays the very slight crookedness of the palm.

You can barely tell in this pic. It's leaning away from the point at which I'm taking the picture. Barely noticeable. Oh, and please excuse the massive amounts of fricken clay. I still don't know what to do with it all. I added a bit in with the amendments I added to try and keep it mixed, but still have tons of it left over. Any of you all in California care for any?

011_zps95ee3f2b.jpg

Here's one more, you can tell its slanted actually a little better in this picture. It was planted on a very slight slope.

012_zpsa01d80d9.jpg

As you all can probably tell, the spot I picked is a bit cramped. Far to the left I have some elephant ears planted that just started sprouting. Its the best microclimate I have in my backyard. Trying to make due with what little room I have mixed in with the good amount of sunshine this area sees.

just remove some soil around the root ball and push it straight, then fill the space at the other side. Shouldn't be that hard unless it's *really* crooked, in which case see opthamologist.

I started to do this afterwords to a lesser extent, tried adjusting it a bit. Realized it wasn't a big deal really and it looked a little better after this so I let it be. EIther I need to see an ophthalmologist or a psychologist that deals with OCD.

I wouldn't mess with it either. It will grow out of its slant. Do you have a picture of this palm you can post? If it's under canopy,it may grow at a slight slant towards brighter light.

I actually have a spot in my yard that Is under 3 pine trees with great soil. Although, this area receives sparse light and it would be a little more exposed to those northerly winds. I wanted it to receive more light so I could get a more compact crown and hopefully a taller tree. Although, I don't know if sunlight has anything to do with the height of a chinensis.

Edited by smithgn

They grow nicely but slow in the shade. Bigger deeper green leaves and long stretched out petioles :)

They grow nicely but slow in the shade. Bigger deeper green leaves and long stretched out petioles :)

Yes, they look much better shade grown. All day sun will yellow the leaves. Plant another one under your pines and watch the different growth they exhibit.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Nice to see a short-petioled chinensis. Why do you trim the leaf edges, Do they get in the way?

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Nice to see a short-petioled chinensis. Why do you trim the leaf edges, Do they get in the way?

Kumar, lot's of us don't like the look of brown tipped palm leaves so we trim off the dry, brown tips.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Yes, they look much better shade grown. All day sun will yellow the leaves. Plant another one under your pines and watch the different growth they exhibit.

I've heard this. What's funny, is the guy that I bought it from had one left. You may be onto something Jim... It would make for a fun experiment over the years.

Pretty much what Jim said. I bought this palm from a nursery and apparently the guy that had it trimmed the tips off. I don't mind it, but at the same time if it were me, I'd probably just leave it. But it does look neater.

Agree with all, nowhere near trunking and it will straighten up on its own, BUT, it will be in a couple of years. That is a tough palm, so if you don't want to look at a palm that bothers you for a couple of years, dig out a few shovels on the leaning side. Use the shovel as pry bar and lift it to level and toss in some dirt in new opening to keep it level. 10 minute operation.

As for shade or sun, in our clay soils and lots of rain, they don't yellow in the sun. But in shade or sun it can almost look like 2 different palms. Both are attractive. There is one distinct advantage of shade though, and this less winter foliage damage.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Kumar, lot's of us don't like the look of brown tipped palm leaves so we trim off the dry, brown tips.

Jim, my question then is ... does not the trimming only shift the "brown zone" inwards? I have sometimes noticed this on L chinensis (and they it seems to be the only palmate palm that gets trimmed in this manner) that the brown part, which I'm presuming is dead leaf tissue again starts forming along the trimmed edge. It can be seen in the bottom right of the second photo.

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

Update: So I've left my palm crooked. After all, it isn't that bad and plus it'll be interesting to see it straighten out over the years. But with that said, to help my Livistona cope with the future winter, I bought some lava rocks to absorb warmth during the day. They've also helped with my soil runoff since I'm planted at a bit of a slope. But does anyone know if lava rocks absorb less heat due to being less dense as other rocks? It's too warm right now to really notice but was just wondering if anyone else has used lava rocks? Or any other alternatives? Aesthetically they're pleasing and they're fine for now. But some denser rocks for the winter time will probably be a wise investment later on this year.