Sign in to follow this  
Trópico

Trivia Answers

PALM MOD

Questions appear in the Palapa.

Post your score (or comments) here. Honor system in effect.

Answers:

1) Size 12 American

2) The Palmscraper

3) pohonkelapa's (Paul) red headed travel companion

4) "conks off"

5) Zachary (Palmy is a Zac, and of course Zac in NC---both "kids")

6) If you didn't know this, you're disqualified and banned.  :)

7) Gileno, amazondk, Alberto (any more?)

8) Red

9) John Dransfield, Jeff Searle, neoflora, Bruno, ElHoagie, Ortanique, Masoala Jason (any more?)

10) BS Man about Palms

11) When away from the wife in Brazil, once a third river is crossed, a man becomes single.

12) Cyrtostachys renda, Areca vestiaria, Carlo's red crownshafted Royals, Geonoma undata (red form), Dypsis lastelliana (any more?)

13) SunnyFl

14) El Presidente

PALM MOD

Ania,

Much too easy to cheat.

What was your score?

Jeff Searle

I did not score very well, a mere 7 points. :P

* In regards to question #9, you left out one other person. And he is Pete Balsky, who I went on my trips with. He's been there more times than anyone on the list other than John Dransfield. He is a member of the forum, but as yet to reply on anything(??).

Jeff

Walter John

well, truthfully I only got about 2 or 3 right. I just wanted to say though that I think this is a brilliant idea with lots of reference material to work with no doubt.

paulgila

6 out of 14.

i still don't know who the sexiest dancer is.maybe i was

"on holiday" when this was discussed in class.

PALM MOD

Paul, you're risking banishment.

Who's got that pic handy?

paulgila

you said "honor system".don't i get a break for admitting i didn't know?

MattyB

The sexiest dancer (in my opinion) is Jack elHoagie!

My score is 10-1/2

#9:  I think Phil has been

#12:  What about D. leptocheilos and D. lastelliana?

PALM MOD

I thought the "dancer" question was a gimme.

Matty, you're right---D. lastelliana would definitely classify as a red crownshaft. D. leptocheilos is more orange IMO.

And I'm pretty sure Phil has not been there, but I could be wrong.

bgl

I guess I need to either pay more attention, or spend more time on the Forum.... :)  I got 8 points, but that was only after D. lastelliana was considered an acceptable red crownshafted palm. I was going to post this photo as proof, well, I'll just post it anyway... Not red like a Cyrtostachys but still...

post-22-1165880847_thumb.jpg

BS Man about Palms

I got 8 without trying on the "multiples"....not sure if I would have rated full points though (see that would involve writng them down so I didn't forget..) AND I don't drink, So I was clueless on the beer part...

Not sure whether I should be proud or scared....   Like Wal said- Good job Dean!

Paul, Load up the last page of Palmarum's Biennial tour and look for Jack Sayer...............

Zac in NC

I got about 8 of them, including the one that I am included in. What does Kris say, when a palm dies, it truely lived??? Oh it conks off. I see.

Zac

paulgila

i remember phil telling me not to go there cuz it was unsafe for westerners,so i assumed that he HAD been there.

i heard all about the "el hoagie" incident from mattyb

in all its gruesome detail.

Neofolis

I got 6.8 (0.8 = 4 out of 5 of the Madagascar visitors).  Sorry, I'll try to pay more attention.  It makes me wonder how much of the "more important" stuff I'm not remembering.

Bilbo

Jeff, I too find it difficult to communicate with JD but at least he does go to the IPS Bienniels, does great work for palms, has a genus name after him and if he is a bit shy and reserved that is perfectly par for the course for many Brits.

NOT me as you well know!

Just as well we are all different I reckon cos we all have a part to play in promoting and growing palms and thats what its all about I suppose.

Regardez

Juan

Kathy

Only about half right.  Clearly I need to spend more time here!  It's winter now so I can do some remedial work....

And anyone who is part of an answer better be 90% or better!

And Bo's lastelliana looks like she's ready for a night on the town!  That's the true "lipstick palm" in my book --

bgl

Thanks Kathy, but I keep my palms on a tight leash! They're on constant curfew... :D

Jeff Searle

(Bilbo @ Dec. 12 2006,11:36)

Jeff, I too find it difficult to communicate with JD but at least he does go to the IPS Bienniels, does great work for palms, has a genus name after him and if he is a bit shy and reserved that is perfectly par for the course for many Brits.

NOT me as you well know!

Just as well we are all different I reckon cos we all have a part to play in promoting and growing palms and thats what its all about I suppose.

Regardez

Juan

Bilbo(John),

Why did you state that you too find it difficult to communicate with JD? When did I say that?

Jeff

PALM MOD

(Jeff Searle @ Dec. 11 2006,09:32)

* In regards to question #9, you left out one other person. And he is Pete Balsky, who I went on my trips with. He's been there more times than anyone on the list other than John Dransfield. He is a member of the forum, but as yet to reply on anything(??).

Jeff

Jeff,

I caught that too.

Bilbo was referring to your comment --- "He is a member of the forum, but as yet to reply on anything(??)."

I knew you were referring to Pete Balsky, but Bilbo inferred you were speaking of JD. Bilbo apparently felt he had difficulty communicating with John at the Biennial.

elHoagie

I missed this topic the first couple days, I was clubbin' and working some magic on the dancefloor.  Anyway, my score was 7 and 4/5.

Bilbo

Jack my amigo , I reckon you are doin a little too much clubbin out5 there!

Sorry for another boring lecture : but you are a newly married real nice guy with a lovely wife.

Keep with it Amigo!.

Regardez

Juan