Sign in to follow this  
MattyB

How to get an AVATAR (that little pic)!

MattyB

So you want an AVATAR huh?  Sorry, you must have been logged onto the IPS for 5 years in order to be eligible..........just kidding!  Everyone can and should get an AVATAR!  It's fun and it let's others quickly recognize you on the forums.  Here's the scoop snoop....

Go to "Your Control Panel" in the upper left of your screen.

Click on "Personal Info".

Click on "Avatar Options".

Now there's two options to going about getting your AVATAR.

1.  Entering a URL from an image hosting site like Photobucket....or

2.  Uploading a file/picture from your own computer.

---------------------

1. Entering a URL from Photobucket or similar host

In the middle of the screen you'll see a section called "Your Image Avatars".  In the area provided,paste the URL (starts w/ http://) from Photobucket or similar site into the space provided.  Then click "Add My Own Image As My Avatar".  You're done!  If it didn't work, try again or complain to the Moderator.

---------------------

2.  Uploading a file/picture from your own computer

At the bottom of your screen you'll see a section called "Upload Your Own Avatar".  Click "Browse" and choose a file from your computer.  Please note that the file must be under 100,000 bytes and pictures usually need to be resized to meet this criteria (resizing could be a whole other tutorial in itself).  Click "Upload" and you'll see a message that says, "Your avatar has been uploaded to the board".  Then go to the top of the screen where it says "Please Select An Avatar From The List Below".  Find your uploaded Avatar and click on it.  Then click "Add This Avatar To My Profile".  You're done!

Tips:  Choose a close up or simple image as your AVATAR.  It's only a small box and complex, landscape type shots don't show up well.

Good Luck! :)

Walter John

and lay off the self portraits like MattyB.  :D

MattyB

and doo doo Wal! :)

Edit:  Since this comment Wal has changed his avatar once again and the "doo doo" comment no longer makes sense.  Due to Wal's frequently changing avatar (unlike his underwear) I will now change my response to the generic:

"Nice Avatar Wal! :) "

STEVE IN SO CAL

After a couple of efforts, the best I can do is a small white box with a red  X  in it...I guess that will have to be my avatar  :(

Zac in NC

Steve- Go back in there and take out the extra http://, then it should work.

Zac

PALM MOD

Steve,

I fixed it for you.

Nice avatar.  :)

Let everyone know how easy that was. Even for dummies.  :)

STEVE IN SO CAL

Hey, look at me...I'm all avatared up...thx for the assist.

I haven't settled on one yet...

Eric Hawaii

Thanks, Matty!  See, now I have my beautiful avatar up and running (well, I'll be  sure once I post this and hopefully it'll be there).  I got the pic from the University of Hawaii botany website photos of native Pritchardia species, and this photo is of P. kaalae growing wild in, I believe, the Waianae mountains of Oahu.  You like?  You like?

Eric Hawaii

Wait a second, here.  Why did the image come out so small?  I guess it's not enough pixels.  Okay, back to the drawing board.  I'm gonna go find one that's more easily-visible.

Kris

Dear Matty  :)

great work_pal !

And wal why are you changing you avatar's so often,and the

conversation between you & matty on this regard was worth

laughing !

And steve's avatar icon is big as compared to mine or for that

matter eric.how is that ?

Steve i like that avatar of your's,kindly stick with it for a while,its very colorful & even pleasing to the eye.

Love,

Kris.

PALM MOD

Kris and others,

The avatar size is restricted to 60 x 60 (smaller size) when using an uploaded avatar.

When using a hosted avatar with a URL link you may fill in a width and height of 90 x 90 and your avatar will be of the larger size you see some members using.

Kris

Sir,

Thanks for that explaniation on the avatar size.

Love,

Kris.

Phil

Matt,

Uncle Dean made me one, but I don't know if it can stay.  After all, I'm from San Diego and my avatar has Denver Bronco colors.  But, it's cool to have one.  I've never really sought out how to get one and your post helps.  Thanks.  I'll be on the search for the perfect photo.

Phil

MattyB

I like it Phil!  You should also put the link to Jungle Music on your signature so your site can be easily accessed through any of your posts.

SunnyFl

Matty, hey thanks for the explanation!  I didn't know I could upload one without a hosted site thing, which I don't have.  So now I've created my own avatar, and will need to get a better piccie soon.

Zac in NC

Sunny- Its super easy to set up a photobucket account for hosting your photos. All you need is an email address and it is very easy. I used to use webshots but I got tired of that hassle. It is so much easier to post images to this board too.

Zac

Bilbo

Aloha!

As a genius I sure dont need no avatar do I?

Mahalo

Juan

Kris

Dear IPSPTModerator  :)

i wish to change my avatar and its link is in photobucket.com/

like last time it does not take my url link automatically it says that the image file extension or the file format is not supported.and the file that i want to link is a common .gif image.last time also i had this problem.has this glitch not rectified yet since as & when i find a nice gif i cannot upload as i wish to do !

thanks & love,

Kris  :)