IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

gsytch

We've been getting just enough at my location to keep from officially getting dry (though newly planted small in-ground plants dry up without irrigation), which this whole summer means a day or two of okay/decent rain one day and a good rain the other, followed by a dry period of between 3-7 days. We are certainly NOT soggy or wet and have not been all summer except for maybe a week or so in total. I am ready for a good several day long frog strangling deluge tropical disturbance or robust rainy season pattern before our rainy season starts to peter out next month. Doesn't look like much from the tropics this year. Not that I'm wishing a hurricane on anybody, but it is almost eerie how quiet the tropical Atlantic is lately.

A couple good downpours this past week but still nothing over about an inch/inch and a half. back to hot and rain-free to start the week. Agree with palmsOrl, a very quiet season in the tropics so far meanwhile quite active in the Pacific. Interesting how it seems dry African air is playing into the lack of activity again this year.

-Nathan-

Update from my last post four days ago. No measurable rain here in a week or so now. Soil is drying out. Water bill is going to be really high.

If the rest of August is like it has been to date, we will likely end up with an overall drier than normal summer rainy season. I just don't see September being wet, though I will hopefully be wrong.

Palms are doing ok - could use a little rain for the tropicals, the mid 90's F is stressing them

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Hot Hot Hot all week long. Checking nearby weather stations before leaving work this afternoon, lots of upper 90's and a number of 100-102F readings ( neighborhood stations, not TPA or SRQ).. adding in the Ick factor: 106- 119.. Yep.. you read that right 119 Real Feel temp in parts of Sarasota today..

By 6PM, a healthy line of storms to the east that died before reaching us. Maybe got .10 of an inch before sunset.. Can't remember ever seeing a real feel temp topping 115F near the coast before. Heat is fine but working outside in this kind of heat is a battle of keeping your cool.

-Nathan-

Nathan, you've confirmed what I felt yesterday…even when it was still early morning when I took the dogs out for their exercising and school-kids socialization, sometimes they'll go all the way to school, but it was too hot. Then afterward while dragging the hoses, and carrying buckets of water from the rain barrels, it became so unbelievably hot. I decided to put my barefoot on the pavement of our driveway. I wanted to get a feel of what the dogs might feel while they're out and about at the school bus stops. Holey hot dogs! So, I think I'll hold off taking the dogs to the afternoon kids coming home from school…for now!

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Shirley, good call.. I'll tell ya, even with taking extra breaks at work this week, a cooler full of water keeping cool is tough when it is this hot. Today was worse, a weather station out at The meadows in Sarasota recorded a real feel of temp. of 120F!.. Another near SRQ was reading 118F.. Hit a couple brief showers on the way home from work. Hoping for more.

-Nathan-

Yesterday microwaved into an entirely different dimension. Did anyone else see the shimmering unicorns? Also, I noticed Pegasus paused briefly in suspended animation, as did everything else! My beloved Kentiopsis oliviformis look like they're unable to inhale.

Is this happening statewide?

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

After several days of deluges, around 8/13-15, wherein well over 6" of rain fell...more than June and July combined I believe...just hot and dry since. Sunny. Clear skies. Few clouds. HOT. All that moisture went away in the ground as we had to water Thur and Fri. Yesterday's rare E/NE flow saw storms die as they approached the coast. WHY have they been enhanced all summer to the E coast, and the very rare occasions we get the E flow they do not even make it to the coast? PlamsOrl you must be cursed, because the radar frequently shows the Orlando metro pummeled in storms. Yesterday the therm reached 94F in my back yard, and that has been common this summer. I am less than a mile from the coast, and easily one of the 3 hottest summers in my 26 years here. Historically speaking, we only have 3-4 weeks left of the rainy season barring a late tropical entity. I fell below 80F this morning, which was nice. The same areas - inland Pasco, NE Hillsborough - keep getting hit. Go out there, and gullies are overflowing. Come here, and lawns are browning some, even after half a foot of rain a week ago. :sick:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Gsytch,

Have to agree. Headed out to Old Myakka last Sunday and the "plentiful" rainfall that area has been getting this summer is clearly evident.. Green as can be and lots of water in roadside ditches/ swampy areas. Amazed how, while driving out there, I got caught in one of these blinding downpours/ mini Hurricanes yet not a drop fell at the house.

This weekend has been another bust with another great looking set up shredding itself apart before reaching the area.. only to re-form just off Anna Maria and further south. Does seem strange that most storms this summer get close, looking quite impressive and rapidly dissolve, rarely reaching the coast with much gusto. Definitely not what I recall when I lived up in Largo.

As far as the heat.. doing some station surfing earlier, saw several real feel temps well into 110F territory and several 120F readings, including 128F, which I think might be a bit exaggerated. Even so, 123-125F were common on several other weather stations around Tampa Bay. Hottest actual temp I could find was 108F up near New Tampa around 3:30 this afternoon.

Interestingly, looking west, Phoenix was about as hot today but real feel heat was within a degree or two of the actual temps. It amazes me that it can be 97 out here.. but actually feel 17 degrees hotter, just crazy.

One more day of decent rain chances before going down to 15-20% for most of the up coming week. Heat to continue..

-Nathan-

Gsytch,

Have to agree. Headed out to Old Myakka last Sunday and the "plentiful" rainfall that area has been getting this summer is clearly evident.. Green as can be and lots of water in roadside ditches/ swampy areas. Amazed how, while driving out there, I got caught in one of these blinding downpours/ mini Hurricanes yet not a drop fell at the house.

This weekend has been another bust with another great looking set up shredding itself apart before reaching the area.. only to re-form just off Anna Maria and further south. Does seem strange that most storms this summer get close, looking quite impressive and rapidly dissolve, rarely reaching the coast with much gusto. Definitely not what I recall when I lived up in Largo.

As far as the heat.. doing some station surfing earlier, saw several real feel temps well into 110F territory and several 120F readings, including 128F, which I think might be a bit exaggerated. Even so, 123-125F were common on several other weather stations around Tampa Bay. Hottest actual temp I could find was 108F up near New Tampa around 3:30 this afternoon.

Interestingly, looking west, Phoenix was about as hot today but real feel heat was within a degree or two of the actual temps. It amazes me that it can be 97 out here.. but actually feel 17 degrees hotter, just crazy.

One more day of decent rain chances before going down to 15-20% for most of the up coming week. Heat to continue..

-Nathan-

The "feels like" was absolutely brutal over the weekend. Even at my house in Palm Harbor (~1 mile from the Gulf) the heat indices were in the 115F range. (I think the peak was 116-117F). When the dewpoint starts getting close to 80F, the heat indices really ramp up.

But, as Mother Nature likes balance, the past few days have been drastically improved. The actual dewpoint at my house right now is a very dry 68F. Even with a temp of ~95F, it doesnt feel bad at all as the heat index only adds 5F to the actual air temp.

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

It certainly felt nice in Cape Coral today, lower humidity, took a motorcycle ride and did not have heat stroke! Pretty nice for August.

Lived in Cape Coral, Miami, Orlando and St. Petersburg Florida.

AND yet here we are again....1/4" total rain in the past 13 days in August, and not a day that has seen highs below 92F. There have been so few clouds, the unusually sunny skies just make it all even drier. Any storms dissolve before reaching us here at the coast, as they have done most of the summer. This rainy season was a complete bust! Friends of mine in SE FL are complaining it is too wet, way too cloudy. We finally get an E/SE flow (the quote normal flow) and we do not get a drop out of it. Is this the "moist" flow? Bizarre is all I can say! :sick:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Once again, storms came right up toward the coast...and magically evaporated. Thundered for hours. Dark skies. Not a drop. Radar shows Odessa, LOL, Trinity, Wesley Chapel, north Tampa, East Lake getting killed. Here...a humid desert. This is REALLY ridiculous. Two weeks and 1/4" of rain. AND the "rainy season" is almost over! :sick:

Its suppose to rain here Labor Day. Keeping my fingers crossed - the garden really needs it.

The rainy season hasn't been a bust here in the Orlando area, but with the past month taken into consideration, it was definitely below normal in terms of total rainfall. Now I feel it is on the wane anyhow. Last night I was in the yard around 11:00pm and it wasn't still warm/hot, but felt mild. Fall will be on the way shortly. This summer, there were a lot of dry periods between wet periods. I hope the next rainy season will be a repeat of 2012. We had consistent, robust diurnal thunderstorm activity from May all the way to October 10th that year.

• 2 weeks later...

After another extended dry period, the rain gods have blessed us. Overnight into Monday nearly half inch fell. Then this evening, a cluster of storms came ashore, over an inch of much needed rain. They are predicting even more toward morning as the first "cold" front enters Florida. Perhaps some drying Thur-Fri before moisture returns for the weekend, but Friday morning may touch 70F away from the coast! WOW! Autumn is almost here. I sent the NWS an email regarding the dryness, and the reply was showing PWS from Inverness down to Venice, and how areas East of 75 were much wetter. Venice was the dry spot at about 12" for summer (Jun-Aug) with Ridge Manor hitting well over 30". They had my area at appx 18", but we received a lot in a short amount of time. That left many, many dry spells under hot sun. Weird. I hope fall is not as dry comparable to average like summer. Our historical avg in summer is about 25" plus. :sick: :sick:

I am glad you have had some good rain as of late Gsytch! Overall, I think you really need it. Meanwhile, in the Orlando area, just some light rain/sprinkles/brief moderate rain showers over the past 8-9 days. Things in the ground are subtly drying out and potted plants are dry, as I haven't really been watering much. Despite high rain chances the last couple days, there has been no measurable rain. The storms thus far have been widely scattered and fairly weak. The rainy season is likely over very shortly, so I am hoping tomorrow will deliver some heavy rain/storms.

Now it just will not stop. It keeps coming in waves. Heavy, too. Easily over a foot of rain this month. More yesterday, today, last week were several deluges. This year the rainy season is just staying., Where was this in July? Nice and cool, too. Forecast all week - 50-60% chances. No hurricanes. It is like a lush, Amazon jungle out there! :mrlooney:

Now it just will not stop. It keeps coming in waves. Heavy, too. Easily over a foot of rain this month. More yesterday, today, last week were several deluges. This year the rainy season is just staying., Where was this in July? Nice and cool, too. Forecast all week - 50-60% chances. No hurricanes. It is like a lush, Amazon jungle out there! :mrlooney:

2.46 " yesterday. Sparce over night and this morning - hey, I think I see the sun poking through the clouds ! :winkie:

• 4 weeks later...

It finally stopped a few weeks ago, although the last cold front (last Tuesday) gave us 2" of rain in less than 24 hrs). Now, it is normal. 80's sunny and dry with DP 65-68F. Peaceful. What a wet September! October is already at 4.5" although none looks likely for a while. On to November - the dry dry month! :)

• 2 months later...

Been dragging the hose as of late. Reportedly we may see some precipitation on Christmas. :greenthumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Got rain last two days of the year. Mucho precipitation here at the Moose Land 2014! :greenthumb:

• 5 months later...

Once again, storms came right up toward the coast...and magically evaporated. Thundered for hours. Dark skies. Not a drop. Radar shows Odessa, LOL, Trinity, Wesley Chapel, north Tampa, East Lake getting killed. Here...a humid desert. This is REALLY ridiculous. Two weeks and 1/4" of rain. AND the "rainy season" is almost over! :sick:

Time resurrect this thread. The rains are overdue, tired of dragging the hose. :evil:

The late spring has brought some generous rain to my garden. It's been far superior to 2014 so far.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Oh Yes - welcomed relief this afternoon !!! :yay:

Been great here, nothing like last year where is was very dry, already received 4" this month.

I'm glad the West Coasters are getting theirs. You guys really did suffer last year.

30% chance of another thunder boomer here this afternoon ! :w00t:

Feel like a part of the Florida Community again up here.....dry....flood.....dry....flood....dry.....flood..... plus heat.....the beat goes on...

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I received 7" of rain in 2 hours yesterday. That's not a typo.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

After getting a much needed 3" of rain here this past Monday, and just sprinkles the following w days, it has been DRY here. When can we just have our normal summer pattern?

We were a bit dry the last few days, even though parts of the Cape got rain, but today I received 1.30" for a total of 7" for the month of June.