IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hot ....

Exotic Life

(Jeff in Modesto @ Jul. 22 2006,21:12)

(syersj @ Jul. 22 2006,18:58)

(Jeff in Modesto @ Jul. 22 2006,14:06)

You guys crack me up!

You haven't even seen unusual heat compared to Californias central valley.

Can anyone top this.  This has been the official temps this month at my parents house in North Texas.  I wonder if even Phoenix has been as hot.  

Day   H    L

9     101  73  

10   103  78  

11   105  73  

12   103  79  

13   108  81  

14   106  78  

15   105  75  

16   106  77  

17   108  80  

18   109  79  

19   107  80  

20   108  79  

21   107  78

Yup... I can beat that by a mile.

We were 112f today after a morning low of 86f.

Jeff

BTW... can they grow palms in north texas?

:P

Yes, they can grow stuff like Trachy's, Washy Filifera, and Sabal Palmetto.  The REAL hardy stuff.  In my area of South central Tx, I can grow a little bit more of a variety like some Phoenix species, Syagrus R., possibly Bismarckia Nobilis - provided we don't see another 89 type freeze anytime soon.

Want to see hot? We were 106f by noon today.

Check these temps out.... and we are 60 miles east of San Fransisco.

Jeff

Modesto AP temps

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

If the Heat Index was 119, you must have had some humidity too.  Yeah, that's pretty hot, I gotta admit.

Saturday was just over 42C (107F) here.  By far the hottest I've ever recorded in about 3 years (38C was my previous record).  The dewpoint was 22C, which gave a heat index of around 50C (120F).  

Most of my plants came through ok, but large sections of the leaves on one of my Hedeyscepes turned pretty brown.  It was in full shade, so the reaction must have been to the temperature....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

We just had the warmest day in two months here, minimum 11C, maximum 18C.  Its not hot, but its better that 13 or 14C days.

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

My car does not have A/C and I have to go across the city at around 3:30 PM every other day. The car has a microclimate that is about two dozens of degrees higher than outside. Orlando is at about 90F in the afternoon, highest is maybe 95F save rainy afternoons where it stays in the mid 80s. You can keep the triple digits.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Yes, but a 95 degree Orlando day feels hotter than a 105-110F desert heat, due to the humidity.  I've felt desert heat and Florida heat and FL heat normally feels hotter.

(syersj @ Jul. 26 2006,10:54)

Yes, but a 95 degree Orlando day feels hotter than a 105-110F desert heat, due to the humidity.  I've felt desert heat and Florida heat and FL heat normally feels hotter.

That's the problem with the weather we've been having.  The dewpoints have been around 20-22C, which is similar to a summer dewpoint in Orlando...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Its pushing 30ºC in here,(England) very humid too so really uncomfortable. Fan on,shirt off!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

If you guys are getting high dew points and humidity, then that's a killer.  Normally desert areas don't have southeast type humidity and dew points.  I assumed the central valley normally doesn't have extreme humidity, but I am making an assumption, not being from there.

For an example take a 95 degree day in Orlando, with 60% humidity (very common in FL if not higher).  The heat index would be 114F.  Take a typical 105F day in the desert with 20% humidity, the heat index is exactly 105F, 9 degrees lower than FL, even though the actual temp is 10 degrees higher.  Even if the desert humidity was 30% at 105F, the Heat Index is still only 113, still lower than the heat index in FL at 95 degrees.

The highest dewpoint my weather station has logged this summer is 81.9F!  

The usual daily maximum afternoon dewpoint is around 75-77F .  

The average maximum heat index has been about 100-101F since the daily highs where I am (1.5 miles from the coast) are in the low 90's.  I believe the highest temp I have logged this summer is only 94.8F, but today is looking like it may challenge that number.

What typically happens around my way is that, once the temps reach the lower 90's, the winds fairly reliably shift over to the W or NW and the Gulf influence tempers things a bit.  But, the dewpoint almost always goes up at the same time as well.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

You know I cant get my head round dewpoints! I went to a site that explained it but, no, didnt get it!

Does high humidity and high temperatures = high dewpoint?

Cos thats what we are experiencing at the moment, very hot and humid, yuk!

Larry Shone in wet and sunny north-east England!  Zone9 ish

Tie two fish together and though they have two tails they cannot swim <>< ><>

(syersj @ Jul. 22 2006,18:58)

(Jeff in Modesto @ Jul. 22 2006,14:06)

You guys crack me up!

You haven't even seen unusual heat compared to Californias central valley.

Can anyone top this.  This has been the official temps this month at my parents house in North Texas.  I wonder if even Phoenix has been as hot.  

Day   H    L

9     101  73  

10   103  78  

11   105  73  

12   103  79  

13   108  81  

14   106  78  

15   105  75  

16   106  77  

17   108  80  

18   109  79  

19   107  80  

20   108  79  

21   107  78

Jim sad to say Phoenix has been much hotter  LOL

Temperatures in PX during the same period..

date        H          L

9             110      87

10           108      88

11           111      88

12           110      91

13           113      93

14           114      92

15           113      94

16           109      87

17           106      85

18           113      92

19           112      91

20           109      92

21           118      89   BROKE THE RECORD FOR THAT DAY

The good news is the heat wave broke and last night some parts of Phoenix got over 2" of rain....and today it was only in the mid 90's and humid...... I hope the rest of the summer will not get this hot again....the summer rainy season is here and should stay around till mid Sept....

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Unusual winter here.-

Im in the middle of the winter now and are getting very unusual temperatures.

27° C. today

30° C. past week.

Not freezes yet.

Minnima of 5 to 6 C.

Everybody with t-shirt.-

Some native plants are flowering (in the middle of the winter!)

Jacarandas, Tipuanas,Chorisias yet with all their leaves.-

On yesterday was in the mountain at night, usually a refrigerator but people with t-shirt in a nice weather.-

Another thing strange was a hailstorm for winter, first time since 1872,

But.... veeeeery dry, desertic and plants suffering.-

The world is heating

Humidity has been high here on occasions by UK standards, but the highest dewpoint I've recorded here was 18°C/64°F, which is nothing compared with what many members of this board experience on a daily basis.

I've really started appreciating the difference humidity makes since going into my polytunnel with a temperature around 30°C/86°F with a relitive humidity of 30% and feeling quite comfortable, then misting everything causing the RH to raise to over 70% by which point I'm sweating profusely.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(chris78 @ Jul. 27 2006,03:54)

Jim sad to say Phoenix has been much hotter  LOL

I guess it was.  But, hey it's been hot everywhere.  I wonder if you can even really feel the difference between 108 and 114 or so, it's ALL hot.

WOW.....

I feel like we're in winter by comparison...mid-high 90's all week, but with 90% humidity, the Real-feel is oround 108... Lows around 78-80f.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

The palms will love it Bobby.  Enjoy.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Super Summer Sizzler here in West Sussex on the South Coast and best I can remember.

The palms esp B.cap (several flower spathes) are lapping it up as of course are the xerophytes in their raised gravel beds.

If only every summer could be like this  . . . . .

Regards

Jon

(alias Bilbo as I cant log on as me or maybe theres an orc in my electrics)

Juan

Yes, it will be interesting to see the MET Office summary for July, especially temperature averages for England & Wales.  It wasn't hot all month, but even the colder periods were mostly above the July average.  The previous record average July temperature was 18.6°C/65.5°F, recorded in 1983.  I suspect that it won't beat that, but it may not be far off.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Today - 102f/day, 82f/night  (heat index 110f)

Tomorrow - 105f/day, 84f/night (heat index 115f)

that is downright dangerous.... I'm watering 3x/day now.

Finally, by thursday we cool off into the low 90's....

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

The MET Office summary is done.  It was a record July with an average temperature of 19.0°C/66.2°F across England and Wales.  It was also the sunniest July on record at 297.5 hours.  This is based on records dating back to 1914.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

104f today..... Not even a touch of wind, 90% humidity... This is HOT!!!.. I've watered 3x today already

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

It must be hot out ther Bobby they even closed down Saratoga today because of heat.I don't think I have have ever seen that happen.

Shon

San Marcos CA

It must be hot out ther Bobby they even closed down Saratoga today because of heat.I don't think I have have ever seen that happen.

Shon

We're losing electric all over the place... Hasn't hit here yet, but We're like at capacity right now... If everyone would just turn down the AC a few degrees, we'd be fine... I can't understand why people wanna keep the AC at 60f in the middle of summer... I run mine at 80f during the day and 75f at night.. People need to conserve.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

That's what I do, I keep mine on 78 during day and 75 at night.  With the ceiling fans running it is very comfortable.  If you put your AC on 72, if would run non stop and wear the stupid thing out.

Last sunday, the heat wave here was coming to his end with day's between the 30C/86F and 35C/95F. July was very and very dry here and very sunny :) But from 1 august everthing is turned over, a lot of thunderstorms with a lot of wind and rain !! And low tempetures between the 21C/69.8F and 24C/75.2F.

I recorded in this two day's 1 August and 2 august alreayd 37 mm of rain, this Conversation programme say's that is 1.4 Inch of rain. In the hole month July i get 6 mm of rain thats is 0.2 Inch of rain.

Sow 31 days 6mm/0.2 Inch of rain (July)

1 and 2 August 37mm/ 1.4 Inch of rain ..

Is this wet ??? Let the sun coming back !!!

Southwest

That's what I do, I keep mine on 78 during day and 75 at night.  With the ceiling fans running it is very comfortable.  If you put your AC on 72, if would run non stop and wear the stupid thing out.

I agree with you 100%, Jim.... It's amazing... you go to the malls around here and you feel like you're in a refrigerator - Even in most office buildings..... I think it's because the average american public has gotten so damn fat that they feel hotter all the time.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Manaus we are in our summer time season, no or little rain, even though we technically are in the winter time since we are south of the equator.  This is a pretty average day through October normally.  The humidity is really pretty low as reflected in the report below.

Current Conditions (as of 5:00 PM) Today's forecast

°C

Clear

33°C

Feels like: 36°C

Barometer: 1009 mb falling

Dewpoint: 21°

Humidity: 49.4%

Visibility: 10 km

Wind: 15 km/hr E

Sunrise: 6:05 AM

Sunset: 6:05 PM

Today's Forecast

Observed at Eduardo Gomes International.

All times shown are local to Manaus.

Today Clear

Hi: 37°

Lo: 25°

Clear

5 PM Partly Cloudy 32°

Partly Cloudy

8 PM Fair 32°

Fair

11 PM Fair 30°

Fair

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

It's funny, people here complain about high humidity and yet our dew point hardly ever reaches where your's is now, which you are calling low humidity.  I guess it depends what you're used to.

Our August continues to be totally duff.  Our temperature has reached the dizzy heights of 16°C/61°F, as at 12:50 today.  Quite pathetic.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Rain 736mm pa

We're having a rare cold front today & tomorrow... I woke up this morning and the temp was 68f - only going to 80f today :( ..... That's like 10 degrees less than we've been having... thank god it's only short lived and will warm up again starting sunday.  It's so funny how us "Palm people" think... Most people around here think this weather we're having today is incredible - (80f, very low humidity).... they all think I'm crazy... but I just love that "tropical" feel when it's like 85-90f with about 80% humidity and a nice breeze... Maybe I've "become" a palm..lol

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Corey,

It sure is relative, one thing you get used to here is sweating.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg