IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Then (1992) and Now (2014) Miami Biennial

Jeff Searle

Yesterday I was going through the file cabinet here at the nursery, when to my delight I came across the old papers that I had saved from the 1992 Miami Biennial. I would like to share with you some interesting ( I thought ) information I found.

Attendees from 1992........118

Attendees for 2014...........128 ( list sent from Kim a couple of weeks ago)

And out of the total list of names from 1992 and 2014, the following list are the people that attended both biennials;

Larry Aronson...Miami, Fl.

Phillip Arrowsmith...Australia

Dr John Dransfield...United Kingdom

Batya Friedlander... Israel

Kathleen Grant...California

Felix Montes...Mexico

Bill Poston...New York

Walter Rogers...Jacksonville, Fl.

Jeff Searle...Florida

The cost to enter Fairchild Gardens back in 1992 was $5 compared to $25 now.

The cost for the 1992 Biennial was a mere $175 to attend including bus service but excluding hotel charges. The hotel charge was $92 per night and was at the Miami Marriott. Odyssey Travel did all the arraignments then, and not sure if their still in business today.

The Post Tour was to Costa Rica.

And a few names that attended in 1992 but are not around today for various reasons,

Elizabeth Besse

Jim Cain

Theodora Buhler

Jules Gervals

Don Hodel

Inge Hoffmann

Paul Drummond

Don Evans

Martin Gibbons

David McLean

Rolf Kyburz

Leonel Mera

Lester Pancoast

Lynette Stewart

Pauleen Sullivan

Natalie Uhl

Ralph Velez

Jim Wright

Some of the Keynote speakers for that week were,

Timothy Brochat

Alan Meerow

Andrew Henderson

Ron Johnson

Nancy Edmonton

Dr John Dransfield

Don Hodel

If anyone has anything to add, please by all means do so.

jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I am very pleased to report that Elizabeth (Libby) Besse managed a late registration and will honor us with her attendance! :)

Very interesting history, Jeff! Like the entry to Fairchild, the prices for meals, buses, and hotel rooms have multiplied. It's fun to look back on "the good old days."

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Yes you were, and boy do I remember all the damage from Hurricane Andrew. Some of the day tours in and around Miami had to be canceled and other day trips were planned up in Broward County.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

What's the forecast this biennial Jeff ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I'm forcasting a lot of fun, well through the entire week. Were expecting some international breeze to blow in, something that rarely happens, approx. every couple of years or so. You'll probably notice the "warmth" in the air as well. And I will do my very best to welcome you and all the other attendees in any way I can. :)

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I'm forcasting a lot of fun, well through the entire week. Were expecting some international breeze to blow in, something that rarely happens, approx. every couple of years or so. You'll probably notice the "warmth" in the air as well. And I will do my very best to welcome you and all the other attendees in any way I can. :)

Gotcha thanks Jeff, yeah, that international breeze could potential change the atmosphere somewhat, sometimes it can be hard to read and could leave it's mark on things. If you've experienced it before you should not have a problem. I should think it will be warm too, thanks mate. :winkie:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Watch out for Hurricane Colin ... :winkie:

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Looking forward to you all arriving!

Southwest Ranches,Fl.