Sign in to follow this  
lascapa

Is my Med. fan palm dead?

lascapa

Hello. I have a Mediterranean Fan Palm thats been in the ground for 3 years. Last winter we had a rough winter, some 5 degree nights. The main stalk in the center is about 18 inches tall. It is rotted about a third of the way down in the center. Everything did pull out of the center.The four shoots coming out from the bottom still have some green. Do you think I can cut the main stalk off right below where it is rotted? And will the rest survive. Thanks.post-10147-0-83165800-1399500544_thumb.j

Brad Mondel

It's possible if you cut all of the rotten parts off and apply peroxide to kill fungi and bacteria.

lascapa

Thanks for the reply. I did pour some peroxide down the center of the palm. Do you think anything will grow back? Thanks.

Patrick

Those small suckers look all right....

I bet they will continue to grow.

Brad Mondel

It might. If the mother does die then at least you'll have the pups that are still alive.

Jimhardy

I would operate...cut down an inch or two at a time with the trunk angle slanted toward to south(front low/back high),

if you do this you can look for live tissue,as soon as you find some(presumably)stop,if the palm is healthy you will see movement in a day or two.

It may die if left alone at this point.

Good luck!

Brad Mondel

Yes, Jim is right. Saw down to living tissue and get rid of that rotton top!

Alicehunter2000

Ditto

paulgila

these things are hard to kill. I left one in a pot without soil for a year & it was still "alive."

lascapa

Thanks for the replies. I did cut the top off. Should I spray anything on top to protect it? Like pruning spray or something.

post-10147-0-74549600-1400198505_thumb.j

Brad Mondel

Looks good. No need to spray anything.

WestCoastGal

Iascapa, please come back periodically to post update photos. Thanks and good luck with it. The pups look a healthy green. Is that really only about a week's worth of growth on it? Definitely a survivor. In fact with the main trunk out of the picture you should end up with a beautifully spaced multi-trunk palm.