IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Germinating Trachy Seeds

willials

I have a question about germinating T. Fortunei seeds. I am brand new to growing from seed and have read on some sites to keep the seeds slightly moist in a vermiculite type medium for a few weeks in a plastic ziploc bag. Then it said to check them every few weeks and to plant in a tall pot once the seed sprouts. My question is about what constitutes the seed sprouting? I have 2 of 4 seeds where I can just barely see the white sprout popping out of the seed. At what point should I plant them in a pot? What medium/soil should I use in the pot? How deep should I plant the seed in the pot? Thanks for any help/experience you can give.

Hello willials

You can leave them some more time until the sprout is a few centimeters long but you can also plant them right now. Just put the sprout facing down. In fact, it doesn't really matter since it will find its way down anyway. But of course it's easier if it's already pointing in the right direction. You don't need to burry the seed at all or just half burry it. I use standard potting mix and add some sand and gravel, perlite or something similar to improve drainage. However, Trachies are tolerant of a wide range of soils. And don't worry, the first leaf can take its time.

Flo

Edited by Flow

Thanks Flow. I did what you said with 2 seeds that germinated and we'll see how it goes. How much should I water the seed in the pot? I wasn't really clear on how moist the seeds need to be. They were kept moist in the ziploc bag when I was germinating them. But I'm not sure if they need that much water still or not. Let me know. Also, when you say it could take a long time for the leaf to show, how long are we talking...a few months or closer to a year?

No, no not a year. A couple weeks up to let's say two or three months. I've sown some T. fortunei "Tesan" two months ago. They were very good seeds and germinated withing 2-3 weeks. The first ones are now producing their first leaf.

If you use a well draining potting mix overwatering shouldn't be an issue. Fortunei can handle moisture very well anyway. It's kind of difficult to say how moist/ wet it should be. What should I tell you? Ehm, water them once then wait about a week. If the surface looks dry before the end of the week stick your finger into the mix and if the top centimeter is stil moist you don't have to water. Honestly, I just water them when I feel like. They're quite robust.

Let us know how you progress.

Flo

Edited by Flow