Sign in to follow this  
willials

Tips on Staying Alive - Med. Fan Palm

willials

I have 2 Med Fan Palms that were planted next to each other in my front yard 1 year ago. 1 is doing quite well, pushing out new fronds despite 16F & very wet this winter. However, the other one looks completely leaf burnt & I'm not sure if it will recover. The spear never pulled but it's growing very slowly if at all. Pics of both plants...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. One palm dealer told me this was from wind damage but that just doesn't seem right to me.

willials

Sorry, had to compress the pics down because they were too large...

Almost dead one...

post-8827-0-25547400-1399136062_thumb.jp

post-8827-0-19917100-1399136070_thumb.jp

willials

One right next to it that is doing well...

post-8827-0-58024200-1399136111_thumb.jp

post-8827-0-27022700-1399136118_thumb.jp

Ben in Norcal

That looks like severe cold damage to me. Someone with more knowledge might be able to provide a better assessment, but personally I'd pull it.

Brad Mondel

The palm looks dead as can be. It could also be developing fungi inside the crown, deadly if it spreads to the other palm. I would remove it and destroy all parts to minimize infecting other plants.

Alicehunter2000

No spear pull? ........ cut off all the dead and cut the top down a couple of inches to see if it is green.....cut until you see green....if no green or clean moist tissue...probably dead...pour a little peroxide, but otherwise keep dry.

GREENHAND

Some times you have to get meds that have a little size to them, that way they have a better chance of survival, i planted this at this size about seven years ago it is now twice this size. It has taken 10 deg with no damage.post-59-0-43212800-1399315681_thumb.jpg

NorthFlpalmguy

^agreed. If you buy anymore try going larger into a 7-15gal or field grown. They seem to be hardier when bigger. The med fan palms are not a fan of the wet winters.

waykoolplantz

Try singing Bee Gees to them...

Stayin Alive...Stayin Alive...Ooo..Ooo..Ooo...Stayin Alive

:greenthumb:

JLeVert

I've had the same problem with C. humilis after last winter. I thought that lots of the naturalized seedling around my school were dead as a hammer, but now that it has gotten hot (90's all week), they are starting to pop back out. All my Braheas defoliated also, except B. decumbens and moorei, but all of them are really growing out now. Augusta was somewhere between 13F and 15F in January and then a month later we had the ice storm from Hell, so everything was encrusted in ice for days. We've also had above normal rainfall in April. I still have my fingers crossed on Phoenix dactylifera and a large Trithrinax acanthocoma. They both look pretty dead.

_Keith

Try singing Bee Gees to them...

Stayin Alive...Stayin Alive...Ooo..Ooo..Ooo...Stayin Alive

:greenthumb:

:floor:

willials

Thanks for the tips everyone. I agree about the hardiness with larger size. All of my smaller ones have croaked. I will try some larger field grown ones from California next. I followed the advice of some of you on here and cut off all the leaves on the so called "dead one" and the spears are still in good shape, never pulled. They aren't growing out real fast at all, but we are supposed to be in the 80s next week for awhile, so I'm hoping the warmer drier weather will help restart the spears. I'll keep you updated.

Palm crazy

Since you’re going to Cali I highly recommend you get some Chamaerops humilis var. argentea - Atlas Mountain Palm

They are much hardier in our climate than the plan green ones. Would look great up against your house in full sun.

willials

Thanks for the tip!