IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

103F with 4% RH in southern Cal !

trioderob

what a start of May

never remember seeing those kind of numbers this time of year.

I am watering the bejesus out of the palms !

Wow! that's some hot and dry temps. We got the flip side down here in the Florida Panhandle. Cool and wet 60's today and tonight in 50's. Been record flooding rains the past few days. The new Floribunda D. decipiens and Rhopy sapida's have been happy with the cool weather.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Yes, hot and dry this week here. I watered extra heavy starting on Monday but am still seeing quite a bit of burn on things. The moisture is just getting sucked out of the plants right now faster than they seem to be able to pull it up from the ground.

Wow! that's some hot and dry temps. We got the flip side down here in the Florida Panhandle. Cool and wet 60's today and tonight in 50's. Been record flooding rains the past few days. The new Floribunda D. decipiens and Rhopy sapida's have been happy with the cool weather.

dads on the panhandle too.

looks like he got 24" of rain overnight and told me the sky was roiling with severe lightning at 4 am

Shade cloth and water for everyone! Everything in the garden is suffering. Except my pachypodium, my bizzie and a potted Hyophorbe indica. They are cruising along.

It has been very warm for late April and early May. My Rhopalosytlis bauri is not liking the sun and heat and It is getting a bit crispy. Everything else seems to be doing fine and growing quickly.

Hi everyone,

I have been out of town for the last week and half, what did I miss? Oh....yeah wasn't expecting that. Good one mother nature.

Carl

Vista, CA

It was hot here in Corona of which cause very little damage. I always start watering my plants heavy days before a high heat event. It seems to prevent heat damage! The wind was a different story! Lot's of damage was caused by two very windy days!!!

test

I hit 104f with 5% rh a few days ago, and upper 90s since. Dang Ficus dammaropsis always gets burned at about 103f in the sun the entire day. It was just starting to look better from getting burned from last summer. Argggg.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I hit 104f with 5% rh a few days ago, and upper 90s since. Dang Ficus dammaropsis always gets burned at about 103f in the sun the entire day. It was just starting to look better from getting burned from last summer. Argggg.

Matty,

My F. Dam, Dont mind the heat at all. Last year they took 108-110f without flinching.

This year our high so far is 98.... No probs.

Jeff

Our summer average high is 96ish.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

My F. dam. does very well in high heat also. Jeff do you water it heavy for high heat? I do.

test

I bet you guys water it more than me. I'm pretty stingey on the water.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

WATER !

Matty - that goes for you too.

2nd heat wave coming with several days near 100f with very low RH

My F. dam. does very well in high heat also. Jeff do you water it heavy for high heat? I do.

I always water my FD alot.... whether it hot or not. The potting soil I use is 60 percent super soil 40 percent perlite and I use a lot of osmocote fert.

They are in the full sun from the begining up against the south side of the house. In a wind protected area. The pots get hot so I taped a sheet of white typing paper to the hot side of the containter to keep it cooler.

Last fall I planted a 1 gal sized FD in my side yard up against the house for protection.

This spring... about 3 ft away... I planted another. I noticed I was hitting FD roots 36 inches away from from a 24 in plant!

Also this may be why the dont like being grown in a pot permanently., why the tree is so hard to airlayer and why 3 of my FD's died in pots in protected spot on my porch,( subfreezing weather) while the one in the ground did fine. I this the pot dropped below 32 and killed the roots.

Jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Been soaking everything. Great time to have a irrigation zone crap out. Yikes! Shade cloth is out in full force too. Let the fun begin.

It's not the heat, it's the humidity!

I noticed a very small... About a quarter sized sunburn on one of my fd leaves.

We were 97f. ... But the humidity was only 6 percent!

Humidity under 15 percent is very rare here.

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

So it's like this

post-126-0-65179500-1400194681_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

• 3 weeks later...

At that crazy humidity level I would have severe lip burn

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes