IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Most Northerly area of Florida Considered Zone 10b,10a, and 9b

Alicehunter2000

Here's another decent map from a quite useful book.( Shows how many times in a 20 yr period that the Temp. dropped below 32 deg.)14129959554_667be80170_b.jpg

• Upvote 1

What specific parts of Florida would be the most northerly one could reliably find Zone 9b plants, 10a plants and 10b plants. Please include any islands that are accessible by car and might have land for sale. I have often wondered how far down the Gulf Coast I would have to travel to get to areas where palms that I can't grow here might survive. Would Cedar Key be Zone 9b? How about St. George Island up in the Big Bend area? Any photo's of some of these more obscure locations?

Let me see if I can answer your question.

On the East coast, I have found 9B plants all the way up to Savanna Georgia, but long term probably Jacksonville beach in an area that is warm enough. Otherwise Daytona Beach.

As for 10A, I have seen it as far north as Daytona Beach, but long term Cape Canaveral. Obviously also around the St-Petersberg/Clearwater area

10B as far as Daytona Beach, but long term probably Jupiter, possibly in warmer pockets of South Hutchinson Island or Patrick Air Force Base.

West Coast St. Petersberg, but probably Cayo Costa Key long term.

Cedar Key is zone 9A by my definition. It might be warm enough to grow queen palms long term there, probably not though.

Jim....the immediate Gulf coastal area up here in the Panhandle is considered 9a. Even this brutal winter which was the worst in 25 years, "only" saw 20 degrees F. as the low (the bottom of 9a) along the coast. Queens are not a true 9a palm IMO....all my Bizmarkia's did better than the queens around here.

• Like 1

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

The coastal bend is colder, the water is cooler and more shallow. Historically the Gulf coast north of Tampa Bay area has seen temperatures in the teens.

Brevard County, Fl

What specific parts of Florida would be the most northerly one could reliably find Zone 9b plants, 10a plants and 10b plants. Please include any islands that are accessible by car and might have land for sale. I have often wondered how far down the Gulf Coast I would have to travel to get to areas where palms that I can't grow here might survive. Would Cedar Key be Zone 9b? How about St. George Island up in the Big Bend area? Any photo's of some of these more obscure locations?

On the East coast, I have found 9B plants all the way up to Savanna Georgia, but long term probably Jacksonville beach in an area that is warm enough. Otherwise Daytona Beach.

As for 10A, I have seen it as far north as Daytona Beach, but long term Cape Canaveral. Obviously also around the St-Petersberg/Clearwater area

10B as far as Daytona Beach, but long term probably Jupiter, possibly in warmer pockets of South Hutchinson Island or Patrick Air Force Base.

Cedar Key is zone 9A by my definition. It might be warm enough to grow queen palms long term there, probably not though.

Jim....the immediate Gulf coastal area up here in the Panhandle is considered 9a. Even this brutal winter which was the worst in 25 years, "only" saw 20 degrees F. as the low (the bottom of 9a) along the coast. Queens are not a true 9a palm IMO....all my Bizmarkia's did better than the queens around here.

And yes, I also consider queens to be a 9B palm, I am assuming zone pushing when I am saying that they might survive on Cedar Key.

Brevard County, Fl

And yes, I also consider queens to be a 9B palm, I am assuming zone pushing when I am saying that they might survive on Cedar Key.

I don't know about queens being assumed to be a zone 9B palm. I dont hink you will find any palm literature saying queens are 9B palms. the lowest winter temp in 9B is 25F, queens are good well below that. I have had 9 queens survive 22F(all of them, none died) and come back strong. this would say they are a moderate 9A palm. the coldest 9A environs will kill queens, but the zone is grouped by minimum temps, and 20-25F is 9A, 25-30F is 9B.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I have seen a ratty looking queen in Savannah area. They might even be able to survive in the outer banks area microclimate. But for sure, to have healthy looking queen all year a 9b climate is more appropriate. So in someway they are a 9b palm that lives in 9a. kind of like a coconut is a 10b palm that lives in 10a?

Yes. As a rule of thumb, you can push a plant by a zone and it will still fair okay most of the time. So, royals will do well in 9B short term, queens in 9A short term, etc.

Brevard County, Fl

I have seen a ratty looking queen in Savannah area. They might even be able to survive in the outer banks area microclimate. But for sure, to have healthy looking queen all year a 9b climate is more appropriate. So in someway they are a 9b palm that lives in 9a. kind of like a coconut is a 10b palm that lives in 10a?

I agree with this. Coconuts are not at all uncommon in most true FL zone 10a climates, except those that are relatively recent in origin due to the influences of human civilization. Cocos is definitely a zone 10b palm for complete long term reliability. For example, Fort Myers (zone 10a) has been as low as 24F, a temp which would kill virtually every Cocos in the city, even in favorable microclimates.

Regarding queen palms, I would also say this species is generally a zone 9b palm, which can be grown with some success in 9a (and shorter term with yearly damage in some warm 8b areas). It wouldn't surprise me if a large, initially healthy (well cared for, etc.) queen palm could survive a few consecutive mild winters on the barrier islands of the NC Outer Banks with some yearly burn/foliage damage from cold winds and overall chilly temps.

I would say, with palms at least, you can generally push by 1/2 zone with some degree of success.

I agree with this. Coconuts are not at all uncommon in most true FL zone 10a climates, except those that are relatively recent in origin due to the influences of human civilization. Cocos is definitely a zone 10b palm for complete long term reliability. For example, Fort Myers (zone 10a) has been as low as 24F, a temp which would kill virtually every Cocos in the city, even in favorable microclimates.

Regarding queen palms, I would also say this species is generally a zone 9b palm, which can be grown with some success in 9a (and shorter term with yearly damage in some warm 8b areas). It wouldn't surprise me if a large, initially healthy (well cared for, etc.) queen palm could survive a few consecutive mild winters on the barrier islands of the NC Outer Banks with some yearly burn/foliage damage from cold winds and overall chilly temps.

I would say, with palms at least, you can generally push by 1/2 zone with some degree of success.

that is basically what I just got done saying :winkie:

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

How I understand it, it is this:

A queen palm can survive to 23F without damage, but 17F can kill it, which means that it is hardy down to the 25F increment (9B being between 25F to 30F), so it is hardy in zone 9B. It can theoretically survive in zone 9A down to the 20F increment, but it will not survive down to the 15F increment. So, assuming that minimum temperatures do not go below the average minimum annual temperature for any local area, that the system holds; for course it does not, which prompted me to do my own map.

Brevard County, Fl

that is basically what I just got done saying :winkie:

Sorry to be redundant Jim! :interesting: The only difference is I said palms tend to be able to be grown with a lot of success up to 1/2 zone colder than rated. You may get a palm to grow a full zone colder for a fairly short period, but it won't be long term without substantial protection.

Dern!--- like I said earlier theyre sure are lots of queens palms and P. robellinnii --- I reckon this makes me zone 9B

I can't tell you how happy about being wrong about this!

Best regards

Ed

Jacksonville is 9A/8B long term. You can grow 9B short term, but with record low of 7F, or even with the added heat island effect you are still looking at 8F to about 10F, 9B plants will all be killed. The only exception to this is maybe the beach if the plants are hardy enough, but I frankly doubt it.

Brevard County, Fl

Here's another decent map from a quite useful book.( Shows how many times in a 20 yr period that the Temp. dropped below 32 deg.)14129959554_667be80170_b.jpg

The problem with that zone map is it doesn't attempt to show the warmer microclimates of the barrier islands. Coastal central Florida is not the same as Orlando. East of US-1 from Cape Canaveral on down is a solid 10-A and borderline 10-B.

East of US-1 from Cape Canaveral on down is a solid 10-A and borderline 10-B.

Any how many coconut palms survived on US-1 between cocoa and Melbourne after the 2011 freeze?

Brevard County, Fl

I just did a quick count in my head, and there are maybe five survivors between 520 and Pineda

Brevard County, Fl

Jacksonville is 9A/8B long term. You can grow 9B short term, but with record low of 7F, or even with the added heat island effect you are still looking at 8F to about 10F, 9B plants will all be killed. The only exception to this is maybe the beach if the plants are hardy enough, but I frankly doubt it.

Darn! looks Like I gotta chain saw a whole bunch of palms that shouuldnt be here ---some of them are 25 years old and very tall.

Best regards

Ed

or just wait for another 1989 like event :winkie:

How would you classify these Texas cities?

Galveston (record low of 7F)

Brownsville (record low of 12F)

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Darn! looks Like I gotta chain saw a whole bunch of palms that shouuldnt be here ---some of them are 25 years old and very tall.

Best regards

Ed

Gee Ed, 25 years old, that is "short term".... LOL! I wonder how long queens live.... I'll take the 25 years and let the chicken littles worry about another 30 year cold snap...

Tom Blank

Largo, Florida has a record low of 19F, guess they shouldnt grow foxtails or royals there.... But I saw lots of great looking public plantings of foxtails and royals in largo, fantastic and spectacular palms with royals topping at about 60 feet.... but if they saw another 19F freeze they could die.... OR you can enjoy growing these beautiful palms and await climate changing to warmer temps!

Tom Blank

Any how many coconut palms survived on US-1 between cocoa and Melbourne after the 2011 freeze?

Is this the 5?

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.20187,-80.661782,3a,15y,14.32h,88.27t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s98hiykyZ-16qb9NPptQLjA!2e0?hl=en

Also mainland side east of Us-1 between pineda and 520 coconuts are few and far between. now on the islands things look different.

even if coastal Brevard was 10b they still don't look like coconuts in south floridas 10a locations. Well anyway for central florida its good enough.

I fought the doom and gloom real hard as I replanted afer 1983 and 1985 and the 1989 took out everything but a queen mule, L chinesnis and saribus and washingtonias

it was a good 5 years or so before I planted anything out marginal alot of stuff I planted out after 2005 --- I just havent seen anything quite as bad only 19F at the very lowest. though 2001 and 2010 were pretty brutal---- map says 9A though. Believe it or not there were a few queens and Sabal causeriums in oddd places in Jax particularlur near buildings or natural microclimates. I think it was the very strong gale force winds that killed most of the plants . the buildings were just enought windbreak and heat gain to provide survival.

Best regards

Ed

Comparing Texas and Florida is almost like comparing apples and oranges. I have not physically been in any of these locations, but based on what I gather Brownsville is a 10B in the very short term, 10A in the mid term, and a 9A in the long, long term. I'd place it something like a warm 9B comparable to metro Orlando in the long term.

Galveston is funny, it is just in a weird location and microclimate. Off the wall guess, it's probably a cold 9A long term (similar to south Jacksonville or New Orleans), but you can get away with calling it a 9B/10A in the short term.

Brevard County, Fl

Largo, Florida has a record low of 19F, guess they shouldnt grow foxtails or royals there.... But I saw lots of great looking public plantings of foxtails and royals in largo, fantastic and spectacular palms with royals topping at about 60 feet.... but if they saw another 19F freeze they could die.... OR you can enjoy growing these beautiful palms and await climate changing to warmer temps!

the heat island effect does mitigate cold snaps, but only to the degree that the area has been urbanized. Until another 1962 like cold snap hits that area again, by all means enjoy it!

Brevard County, Fl

Is this the 5?

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.20187,-80.661782,3a,15y,14.32h,88.27t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s98hiykyZ-16qb9NPptQLjA!2e0?hl=en

Also mainland side east of Us-1 between pineda and 520 coconuts are few and far between. now on the islands things look different.

even if coastal Brevard was 10b they still don't look like coconuts in south floridas 10a locations. Well anyway for central florida its good enough.

I was specifically talking about along US-1.

I have several coconut palms growing around my area of Merritt Island, which is even north of all of that.

• Upvote 1

Brevard County, Fl

Is this the 5?

I have several coconut palms growing around my area of Merritt Island, which is even north of all of that.

and I mean mature ones with coconuts on them.

what I meant was on the mainland of Brevard County they did not fair too well north of the Pineda causeway

edit:

and no, those are not the five I was talking about. There are a couple of nice looking coconut palms a block east of US-1 in Rockledge.

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

Is this the 5?

what I meant was on the mainland of Brevard County they did not fair too well north of the Pineda causeway

edit:

and no, those are not the five I was talking about. There are a couple of nice looking coconut palms a block east of US-1 in Rockledge.

I have seen Veitcha arecina on Rockledge by the river. nice microclimate. Also some large trunking coconuts in suntree area west of us 1.

here is one I know of but I have seen others in suntree near by.

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.228914,-80.674865,3a,20.3y,20.4h,86.85t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1swlWP_XxRuckJe74pzLSypQ!2e0?hl=en

Merritt Island around 520 is probably around the same zone as Sebastian, thanks to the river, even though im an hour south.

This is my guestimate of Texas' zones:

texas_black2.png

Green: 8A

Blue: 8B

Orange: 9A

Yellow 9B

Brevard County, Fl

I am assuming that if I were to use the same standards as I would use in Florida applied to Texas, I can imagine it would look something like the above.

Brevard County, Fl

Is this the 5?

edit:

Merritt Island around 520 is probably around the same zone as Sebastian, thanks to the river, even though im an hour south.

The all time record low here is 21F; with the heat island effect it might be 22F-23F, which still puts it at 9B in my opinion, albeit a warm 9B at that though.

Brevard County, Fl

100 Year Minima

Tallahassee (68 years): 19F

Jacksonville: 24F

Daytona (90 years): 28F

Orlando: 29F

Tampa: 31F

St. Petersburg Albert Whittted: 35F

West Palm Beach: 36F

Miami: 39F

Other places of interest

Houston: 23F

Houston Hobby (67 years): 25F

New Orleans (67 years): 25F

Galveston: 28F (very warm decade, late 90s-2010 missing)

Brownsville: 31F

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

100 Year Minima

Other places of interest

:winkie:

Those are just averages.

Brevard County, Fl

100 Year Minima

Other places of interest

Those are just averages.

Yes 100 year average of annual minimum temperatures

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

100 Year Minima

Other places of interest

Those are just averages.

Yes 100 year average of annual minimum temperatures

...which unfortunately does not tell you much about what grows there long term.

Brevard County, Fl

My area for example averages well into a zone 10A, and you will see street plantings of royals, 30ft tall mangroves, coconuts in people's backyards, 40ft fall ficus trees with about 10-15 foot diameter trunks, but it is not a 10A zone. This area has experienced a record low of 21F in 1989.

Brevard County, Fl

I should take pictures of this area and have you guys tell me what zone you think I am in.

Edited by Jimbean

Brevard County, Fl

I should take pictures of this area and have you guys tell me what zone you think I am in.

Jimbean, that's what Michael & I did this last February (or maybe it was March). We took photos of our neighborhood's palms, trying to more accurately nail down our zone….which we believe is a very warm 9b and thinking it might actually be inside 10a. We're boarder-liners, pretty close to the east of the Indian river, maybe a mile but my brain cannot remember right now. Alrighty. Very much one of these days I'd like to make a thread about it, so PalmTalk can help us describe our garden zone. But it seems like no one around here knows the accuracy. Joe Alf thinks we're at least 10a. So we set out with the dogs and a camera. Almost everyone in our neighborhood is really wonderful. And most of the neighbors were really nice about us wanting to take pictures for PalmTalk, but one person asked, hey you're not the yard nazi's, are you? lol.

One of our neighbors was very helpful and gave us a little history of his royal, saying he planted it as a small maybe 7 footer overall height several years ago (he couldn't remember exactly and bought it from a big box store), well before the 2009/2010 winter zap. It is now over the roof line. He said he's never fertilized it, just only watered it. Seriously, I was dazzled by its beauty, and forgot to photograph his palm! Sometimes I just need a pat on the head and for somebody to say it's okay, everything's gonna be all right. Here's the internet's photo.

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink:

Whoops. Not east of the Indian river, but west -----just about a mile from it.

We're the little red x in the bird's eye view:

CloserthanIthought.jpg

xUs. ^Indian River ^Banana River ^Atlantic Ocean

Joe Alf thinks we have an excellent micro-climate because of the way our yard is situated and protected by other houses to our north, and I wonder that we're benefiting because of being surrounded by the developing urban-heat effect of the building boom years.---And I've always have wondered why it seems this area in particular is so hard to track historical climate data. Sometimes, this little spot truly feels like rains forgets us and it becomes the mohave! Still the winters here are just way better than the summers where I was born and raised.

Just as an aside, we go by the general rule, which I learned from PalmTalk, that if it grows in Orlando, it'll grow here in our neighborhood. lol.

Btw, this thread is yet another in a big giant mountain of most terrific threads ever on PalmTalk! Just the best school on Planet Earth :wub2:

Shirleypt.png

There are several mature Wodyetia bifurcata in my neighborhood--that helps determine my zone, right? :blink: