IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Two Nuts are so Red, But Happy

Moose

I would worry about the green part... see a Doctor soon! :bemused:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Man, I think green nuts may be too late. Green stem might still be hope.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Your nuts look orange to me.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Yike, looks like jock itch . . . time for the fungicide!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I was afraid to even look at this thread.......but yet....here I am.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Are these actual Moose nuts? :floor: Or......

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

or, no nuts at all . . . . :bemused:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Voluptuous nuts. Wish I had some like that.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Your nuts look orange to me.

For a Red Malay dwarf - this is about as red as they get. Same coloring as the Red Spicata cultivar. They both have more of an apricot hue than true red.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

post-1729-0-49461000-1399456159_thumb.jp

Already little red nuts forming on the palm for next year. :)

Nice, I thought petiole would also be orange. When did it start flowering ,Moose?

Kumar

Bombay, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 23 - 32 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 3400.0 mm

Calcutta, India

Sea Level | Average Temperature Range 19 - 33 deg. celsius | Annual rainfall 1600.0 mm

• 1 month later...

It started flowering three seasons (years) ago. Of course it is almost guaranteed that your first flowering coconuts will abort, and they did. These nuts are from last years flowering.

post-1729-0-39338000-1402440200_thumb.jp

I told you my nuts were happy. :w00t:

Its being a bit prolific in its flowering this year.

post-1729-0-71271400-1402440001_thumb.jp

Many more nuts are taking so far ...

post-1729-0-14146000-1402440045_thumb.jp

another "red" spathe is emerging

As stated before, the first flowering of Coconuts usually abort. This is last years (and first) flowering of the Fiji dwarf cultivar (Samoan dwarf).

post-1729-0-86504400-1402820989_thumb.jp

The Fiji dwarf trunk only has @ 2 ft of wood, but is very fat and the leaves are much larger than the Red Malay dwarf

post-1729-0-43188200-1402821214_thumb.jp

Shouldn't Fiji dwarf have a bole at the base of the trunk?

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Not sure Keith. I got this from Dave Romney who hand pollinates his coconuts then covers the inflorescence to prevent Mutts. Pretty certain this is the real deal Fiji dwarf.

Not sure Keith. I got this from Dave Romney who hand pollinates his coconuts then covers the inflorescence to prevent Mutts. Pretty certain this is the real deal Fiji dwarf.

is Fiji dwarf the same as a samoan dwarf? there is possibility it will thicken up? how long to get that much trunk?

is Fiji dwarf the same as a samoan dwarf? there is possibility it will thicken up? how long to get that much trunk?

Alex - I believe that the Samoan dwarf and Fiji dwarf cultivars are the same. I learned this from Ryan (Palmarum) from another post about a year and a half ago. Ryan has a habit of double checking his facts before posting on this forum.

This trunk is now 23 inches in diameter, which is not very skinny. Yes I believe that its girth will expand more but not more than an inch or two. The vascular bundles should swell a bit more. Since the trunk is beginning to elongate the maturing of the vascular bundles is nearly complete.

The base will continue to expand but that will be a function of the root initiation zone developing to support the palm has it thrusts upward.

post-1729-0-48816300-1402860908_thumb.jp

Here is the base of the trunk with measuring tape. The felco nippers are for scale too.

Two feet in diameter sounds about right. It must just be that the picture doesn't do it justice.

And yes, Samoan dwarf and Fiji dwarf are synonymous. Here's a publication on the variety that's pretty interesting:

http://www.cogentnetwork.org/images/publications/catalog/countries/Fiji_49-53.pdf

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Thanks Keith - that is a very informative link.

Looks like there is a spathe emerging on the Fiji (Samoan) dwarf. Hopefully these will hold this year. Last years flowers got pollinated, a few nut buds occurred but they aborted.

post-1729-0-14053700-1403040761_thumb.jp

I got 3 warning points on my permanent record here for a thread like this - life is not fair.

every time I log on - I see those points

I also was banned for 2 weeks

Edited by trioderob

I resisted looking at this thread, alas, I gave in.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

• 1 month later...

The spathe popped open, flowering and the bees are a buzzing. See some Coconut nodules budding. Hopefully it can hold Fiji Nuts this year.

post-1729-0-46761500-1406243908_thumb.jppost-1729-0-51061500-1406243947_thumb.jppost-1729-0-64114100-1406243993_thumb.jp

Another spathe is forming on the alternate side of the Fiji Dwarf :winkie:

post-1729-0-43850000-1406318705_thumb.jp

You guys are hoping for coconuts to form, while on my trees I climb up and cut off all forming nuts and inflorescences as well. I don't want them falling down on anyone or on the bromeliads below. I'm due for another climb soon. Soon they'll be too tall and I'll have to hire a Samoan or Micronesian to climb and trim for me - they do it with ease.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

The spathe popped open, flowering and the bees are a buzzing. See some Coconut nodules budding. Hopefully it can hold Fiji Nuts this year.

attachicon.gifFiji Dwarf 1.JPGattachicon.gifFiji Dwarf 2.JPGattachicon.gifFiji Dwarf 3.JPG

post-1729-0-04159000-1406978716_thumb.jp

The little nuts are holding so far. Hopefully we will be harvesting Fiji Dwarf Coconuts next year!

Another spathe is forming on the alternate side of the Fiji Dwarf :winkie:

attachicon.gifFiji Dwarf 4.JPG

post-1729-0-83922700-1406978880_thumb.jp

The spathe erupted, flowering has ensued. Time for the honey bees to work their magic.

So let ma ask the old question.....should seed once their harvest, be planted on their side or upright for best germination? I gave my 10-12 seeds to one of my workers several months ago and he planted them all upright in their pots. Not one has germinated. I believe they should be planted on their sides, just like in nature when they fall from the trees. But who knows, maybe the seed were no good, which I doubt.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I a

So let ma ask the old question.....should seed once their harvest, be planted on their side or upright for best germination? I gave my 10-12 seeds to one of my workers several months ago and he planted them all upright in their pots. Not one has germinated. I believe they should be planted on their sides, just like in nature when they fall from the trees. But who knows, maybe the seed were no good, which I doubt.

I agree Jeff. They germinate on their side...not upright...usually without any "help"

The Palm Mahal

Hollywood Fla

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like next years crop of red nuts are holding. There may be a whole lotta red nuts than just this years two.

post-1729-0-55642600-1407878469_thumb.jppost-1729-0-26792900-1407878516_thumb.jppost-1729-0-47578400-1407878552_thumb.jp

Wow, they look great. I hope my Green Malayan that has been in the ground for about a year (10.5 months) and has about 15 inches of woody trunk will be putting up a spathe soon.

John

I'm really shocked at how orange your nuts are, yet the petioles are green more like a Green Malayan or Jamaican Tall. I always thought that the petioles and nuts of pure Malayan Dwarfs always matched each other in color. Are you sure that is not a hybrid?

John

I have a Fiji Dwarf (Niu leka) that I purchased from the Romneys about four years ago. It went in the ground at the end of 2010 and now stands 10 feet tall overall but still has no trunk. Yes, the leaves are really large and broad, and of course not a sign of any flowers. Meanwhile from the same shopping trip I had a Panama Tall sitting in its 7gal container languishing for quite a while, and I finally put it in the ground 2-1/2 years ago, a few feet from that Fiji Dwarf. That little 7gal plant is now 25 feet tall (!) and this week I noticed its first flower. Talk about the difference between night and day...I never had any idea a coconut could grow that fast. It is truly astounding.

And on Jeff's question about planting orientation, I do think most people plant them on their "side," and they of course do sprout naturally around here that way, but when I was at the Romneys' place, I noticed that all the 3-gallon nuts that were sprouting were planted on end, with the tip sticking straight up out of the soil. When I asked Carol Romney about this, she said they sprout perfectly well that way and that it basically amounts to a space-saving way to sprout large numbers of coconuts in smaller containers. It looks strange but it works!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)