IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Foxtail VS Fishtail

palmhonee

I live in the Midwest, so of course we get the standard variety of palms.  I am probably the only one that sorts through their plants like a mad woman lookin for that "oddity".  I came across what appears to be a fishtail, but my heart wants it to be a foxtail and a nursery down the street did have one a few years ago, which I bought of course.  The trunk had the velvety rough finish and the leaves did look just like fish tails, so whatcha think?  Another question,  I know fishtails die after they flower so that has steered me away of buying one, but I would like to add one to my collection, how long before they flower, since my would be in a pot is't entire life, perhaps it would never reach flowering.

Please respond.

Thanks!

I use to get confused with small ones. But it is eay to tell the differrence. If the leaflets come off of a secondary stem, then it is a fishtail. Fishtails are bipinnate.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

you can't fool a palm into not flowering by potting it :D

i have heard that the usual lifespan of a caryota can be anywhere from 15 to 25 years,but if you get a caryota mitis,or "clustering fishtail",when one stem dies there will be more to take its place.i have been seeing this palm in alot of "indoor"situations,such as restaurants & shopping malls lately,so that fits into your plan to pot it.

good luck!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Once you've been around this site enough, the difference is fairly easy to spot, but until then... The Foxtail frond kinda looks like a giant "pipecleaner".  Whereas, as Len mentioned, if you get "2nd" branches on a frond its a Fishtail.

Also, the only Fishtail to really have potted for years is a Caryota Mitis.  Any thing else will get Very large...!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Not sure what size plants your looking at...  sometimes palms have to be at least a couple gallon size to tell which is which...  This is a hot topic for debate around here!  Pictures speak a thousand words...  so here's my two cents worth!   :cool:

This is a small "Foxtail Palm" a.k.a. Wodyetia bifurcata

Wodyetia.bifurcata.175mm.pot.jpg

And this is a small "Clustering Fishtail Palm" a.k.a. Cayota mitis

Caryota_mitis_2003.JPG

Hope that helps a bit!

One more thing to keep in mind. Sometimes Caryota urens are sold 3 in a pot and simply called "fishtail palm". You want a Caryota mitis, so check to see if there are multiple little suckers and not just 3 equal-sized trunks. The good news is they are common, and can be found at Home Depot, Lowes, and even at Wal-Mart.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Hi Palmhonee,  Welcome!  Just for clarification here's what the bipinnate leaf looks like or the secondary branches BS was talking about.  

Pinnate on top (like a foxtail)

Bipinnate on bottom (like a fishtail)

post-126-1172682492_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Excellent graphical lesson MattyB. Just wanted to say to piouspalms that the AKA names you typed should be the other way round technically, as in Wodyetia bifurcata aka foxtail, etc. Sounds picky but for newcomers it's best to get off on the right direction aka foot.  :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

no worries(as wal might say),i feel the same way.hopefully someday i actually will know what i'm talking about :P

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.