IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

who are the "characters" on the palm forum ?

trioderob

But more accurately, some lurk now with little response and others interact more on fb, not as much under their own name, but in the International Palm Society group. I try to do a bit on both.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I feel out of the loop if I don't log in to Gmail, Facebook, and PalmTalk at least once a day! :lol: FB can be a pain and subject you to unnecessary drama, but I like it to keep up with dog rescues. Plus it's just a convenient way to keep in touch with people because I hate hate hate talking on the phone.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2018, 3:46:37, Xerarch said:

I’m personally a little disappointed at the removal of the stumphead classification, I enjoyed it while it lasted. Actually all of those classifications are gone, juvenile, trunking, setting seed etc. Too bad 

Actually, they are still there. Just look at the profile of any some (not all for reasons I can't comprehend ) non-IPS Palmtalk forum members (like mine, I am a 'seedling' :)).

On 2/17/2018, 10:44:33, DoomsDave said:

The Stumphead designation came from a former member who called himself TreeStump Head and who got really wildly abusive. Too many meds, or, more likely, not enough. He was 86'd from Palm Talk, though maybe he still lurks, hopefully properly medicated . . . .

If it still exists, then I would probably not want the Stumphead designation myself for this reason (now that I know of it), unless it is just for fun :).

Interesting and cool designation anyway...

@DoomsDave I have no idea what 86'd means. I think it has something to do with being kicked off the forum completely with all of your posts being deleted, though. Is this correct or is elaboration necessary?

@Palmsbro Your definition for 86'd is likely close when put in the context of the forum.  For a little history behind the term "86'd": https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=86%27d

Lakeland, FL

USDA Zone 1990: 9a  2012: 9b  2023: 10a | Sunset Zone: 26 | Record Low: 20F/-6.67C (Jan. 1985, Dec.1962) | Record Low USDA Zone: 9a

30-Year Avg. Low: 30F | 30-year Min: 24F

3 minutes ago, kinzyjr said:

@Palmsbro Your definition for 86'd is likely close when put in the context of the forum.  For a little history behind the term "86'd": https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=86%27d

Got it! Thank you, @kinzyjr.

23 minutes ago, Palmsbro said:

I have no idea what 86'd means. I think it has something to do with being kicked off the forum completely with all of your posts being deleted, though. Is this correct or is elaboration necessary?

3 hours ago, Palmsbro said:

Actually, they are still there. Just look at the profile of any some (not all for reasons I can't comprehend ) non-IPS Palmtalk forum members (like mine, I am a 'seedling' :)).

Well that’s interesting, I see yours says ‘seedling’ I don’t see anything on mine and I don’t see anything on most other profiles after a quick few glances. 

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

post-27-1154840483.jpg

How about Bill (BS Man about Palms) when he was going through his 15 minutes of fame phase?

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

2 hours ago, Moose said:

post-27-1154840483.jpg

How about Bill (BS Man about Palms) when he was going through his 15 minutes of fame phase?

He was real happy, and polite, when he met 3 of my sisters there. I kept watching his hands but BS was a perfect gentleman.

• Upvote 2

100_3197.jpg

• Upvote 4

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 1 month later...