IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

who are the "characters" on the palm forum ?

trioderob

people have accused me of being a "character" on the forum because of my avatars and goofy questions.

so who else besides me would you classify as a character and why ????

Edited by trioderob

I have been called many things. I may have even won the Stump Head award one year.

BS Man about Palms - a very entertaining personality

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

BLEAH!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I was a character once.

• Upvote 1

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

My character was assassinated. Now I am just a forum ghost rattling my chains.

• Upvote 2

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

If you pay enough attention, everyone is a character.

• Upvote 3

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I nominate DoomsDave, always wacky but always has good input, one of the most notable characters on the forum.

• Upvote 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I Know Nossing!

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

I vote DoomsDave and MattyB,

Though Axel from Santa Cruz is quite a Character.... in training.

:floor::floor::floor::floor:

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Perhaps we should have a poll?

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

That's what I was thinking too, a poll, maybe list the top 25 peeps and have a vote. And remember, their character can be a positive OR negative way. I definitely have someone in mind.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I think the term 'character' should be properly defined beforehand. To me, the word conjures up someone who portrays them self slightly different than they would, in a live setting. As such, I would say I am a lot more confrontational and aggressive on-line. A person might meet me face to face and be delightfully surprised, where as on-line, my Character is often less amicable...

I think the term 'character' should be properly defined beforehand. To me, the word conjures up someone who portrays them self slightly different than they would, in a live setting. As such, I would say I am a lot more confrontational and aggressive on-line. A person might meet me face to face and be delightfully surprised, where as on-line, my Character is often less amicable...

And if we are all stipulated as to what a 'character' is, then maybe the better question is who isn't, on our forum?

Well, I'm out. I'm like this all the time.

"Ph'nglui mglw'napalma Funkthulhu R'Lincolnea wgah'palm fhtagn"
"In his house at Lincoln, dread Funkthulhu plants palm trees."

A glance at an online dictionary comes up with this definition of character: a person marked by notable or conspicuous traits <quite a character>

By that definition, PalmTalk is bursting with characters. :)

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

The problem is that people project 'character traits' onto online postings. You can't really assess people based on their online behavior, you're seeing maybe 1% of who the person is.

Every person I met in real life was wastly different from whom I thought they were based on online info.

...which could mean that people act fake online (yes this is true), and/or you are a bad judge of character (I'll let you be the judge of that, but if you're a bad judge of character then you might not realize that you're a bad judge of character...and infinity)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That's what I was thinking too, a poll, maybe list the top 25 peeps and have a vote. And remember, their character can be a positive OR negative way. I definitely have someone in mind.....

Ooh, ooh .... (Censored) never mind :bummed:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

...which could mean that people act fake online (yes this is true), and/or you are a bad judge of character (I'll let you be the judge of that, but if you're a bad judge of character then you might not realize that you're a bad judge of character...and infinity)

You're an actor, so you know how complex people can be. Just because online behavior reveals only a tiny facet of themselves to you doesn't necessarily make them fake. You need to meet people in real life to be an accurate judge of character. But it's also true that people often enact another character online, still doesn't make them fake, it just means they need an outlet to express a part of themselves they might not have the opportunity to do in real life.

• Upvote 1

You're an actor, so you know how complex people can be. Just because online behavior reveals only a tiny facet of themselves to you doesn't necessarily make them fake. You need to meet people in real life to be an accurate judge of character. But it's also true that people often enact another character online, still doesn't make them fake, it just means they need an outlet to express a part of themselves they might not have the opportunity to do in real life.

You do realize that a discussion group on the internet is real life, right?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty-

what kind of an actor are you ?

If you asked a bear he'd say I'm a crunchy actor.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

In reality I'm

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

No, the internet is not real life, it's media, and it's becoming more and more like cable TV: more and more channels with less and less to watch.

I am talking about real life, person to person interactions in flesh and blood. When two humans communicate, only about 10% of that communication takes place in the forms of the spoken word. The other 90% is via body language, voice intonation, facial expressions, etc... The internet provides a platform generally where only words are exchanged, and perhaps a few emoticons here and there. Video is the next big thing, but even then you still loose a pretty big chunk of the communication bandwidth that normally takes place.

Even when we see people in front of us, we often don't actually see the person, but we see whatever projections our mind creates about them. With the internet, that process is a million times worse, we project entire characters and imagine what sort of human being is on the other end behind that keyboard. And that is nothing more than a figment of our imagination.

Bottom line is that people are far more than the words they speak, and you can't judge a person based on what they say. You have to get to know them, share mutual experiences together, well, basically you need a heck of a lot more info before you jump to conclusions as to who someone is. And even then, most of the time, whatever notions we build in our heads even about our loved ones we're around with day to day, these notions often get in the way so that even then we fail to see who is really there. That's because people aren't static, they change, they grow, they morph. Grasp at it if you will, but whatever conclusions you reach about someone ends up being outdated information rather quickly.

If you have any doubt, go and read your Facebook feed, there you will see the most brilliant minds and your beloved relatives and friends reduced to the typical appalling Facebook dribble. I know who my friends and relatives are and I honestly prefer to not judge them based on what they post on Facebook. Their real life versions are much, much more interesting.

It's a sad day indeed when people begin to equate the internet to real life.

large-matrix-blu-ray7.jpg

No, the internet is not real life, it's media, and it's becoming more and more like cable TV: more and more channels with less and less to watch.

I am talking about real life, person to person interactions in flesh and blood. When two humans communicate, only about 10% of that communication takes place in the forms of the spoken word. The other 90% is via body language, voice intonation, facial expressions, etc... The internet provides a platform generally where only words are exchanged, and perhaps a few emoticons here and there. Video is the next big thing, but even then you still loose a pretty big chunk of the communication bandwidth that normally takes place.

Even when we see people in front of us, we often don't actually see the person, but we see whatever projections our mind creates about them. With the internet, that process is a million times worse, we project entire characters and imagine what sort of human being is on the other end behind that keyboard. And that is nothing more than a figment of our imagination.

Bottom line is that people are far more than the words they speak, and you can't judge a person based on what they say. You have to get to know them, share mutual experiences together, well, basically you need a heck of a lot more info before you jump to conclusions as to who someone is. And even then, most of the time, whatever notions we build in our heads even about our loved ones we're around with day to day, these notions often get in the way so that even then we fail to see who is really there. That's because people aren't static, they change, they grow, they morph. Grasp at it if you will, but whatever conclusions you reach about someone ends up being outdated information rather quickly.

If you have any doubt, go and read your Facebook feed, there you will see the most brilliant minds and your beloved relatives and friends reduced to the typical appalling Facebook dribble. I know who my friends and relatives are and I honestly prefer to not judge them based on what they post on Facebook. Their real life versions are much, much more interesting.

It's a sad day indeed when people begin to equate the internet to real life.

large-matrix-blu-ray7.jpg

You are such an old timer, lol.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

everything you say and do is reflection of you.

its only part of the picture - but it is truly you.

now we do behave differently depending on our circumstances.

but the words you write- the songs you sing- the friends you pick- the job you do-are all reflections of you.

Edited by trioderob

but the words you write- the songs you sing- the friends you pick- the job you do-are all reflections of you.

So if they're reflections of you, then who are you? Where is the "real" you?

Axel, that was a fairly insightful post. I would add not all people use the internet discussions and FaceBook the same way. For example, your relatives are much more interesting than they appear on FB; other people selectively post life snippets that make them appear much more interesting than they are in person. I see all of this as part of 'real life', but different types of interaction, as in face-to-face, as opposed to electronic interaction, and there are different dynamics from group to personal one-to-one interactions, both electronically and in person.

People do interpret personalities based on what we post and how we present ourselves. Years ago I used a cartoon character of a little Hawaiian girl as my online avatar, and it led people to believe that I was much younger than I was, and it seemed to give a false initial impression about my personality -- people were very surprised when they met me in person. How did this little Hawaiian girl morph into a middle-aged business woman? :mrlooney: It wasn't long before I made the conscious decision to use my real first name, and not use a character anymore. It didn't feel right to hide behind a manufactured personality online and use that shield to 'act out', as we all know some people may do. The false personality made that easy; taking responsibility for my remarks felt better. (not that it prevents me from saying stupid things from time to time :lol2:) I do not cast aspersions on anyone with that comment, I'm just talking about general online behavior everywhere. Yes, going into 'online snark mode' may happen on occasion. :innocent: Is there a cure for that?

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

there is no "real you" as you are no more than a electrochemical biological system.

if the electrochemical system changes by way of drugs/stress/starvation/ thirst/ heat/hate/greed/anger

then you act differently.

now there is a normal you which is when your everyday events are going in a normal way - you then act normally.

look some folks come here because they want a very serious botanical scientific discussion.

they want to talk serious business about palms. they are not going to like any topic that is not in line with this.

other people come here with an interest in palms but its also kind of a club house mentality.

just like at work there are folks who decide they they are going to adopt a certain character type and stick with

it. thats why at work you have the nice guy, the grouchy grump, the back stabber, the brown noser, the A.H.,

the joker, the hermit, the workaholic.

is that the real them ????

Edited by trioderob

there is no "real you" as you are no more than a electrochemical biological system.

if the electrochemical system changes by way of drugs/stress/starvation/ thirst/ heat/hate/greed/anger

Taken to its logical conclusion, what you say suggests that machines therefore are just as conscious as we are. And if people are nothing more than the sum of their parts, i.e. electrochemical biological systems, then what's to keep some of us from dismantling those "electrochemical biological systems" we don't like? I know a few characters from the 20th century who thought like that and wrecked a lot of havoc.

I thought we had finally moved past the old 19th century mechanistic view of the universe, perhaps not everyone has. :)

Putting a gloss on oneself is an integral of what people have always done. The web provides more elaborate props and costumes, but what really is the difference between that, and, say meeting in a bar, or in church? I've spent my whole life getting - and giving - false first impressions.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Putting a gloss on oneself is an integral of what people have always done. The web provides more elaborate props and costumes, but what really is the difference between that, and, say meeting in a bar, or in church? I've spent my whole life getting - and giving - false first impressions.

Good point, but I think the difference is you have a lot more info available to you when you see someone in person. It's relatively easy to spot the faking. There's an enormous flow of data between two people that you just don't get online. If you're willing to be present and get out of your head when you're with someone, i.e. not get caught by projections, you can really watch that person and you see an amazing amount of stuff you might not otherwise see if you didn't pay attention, and you would never ever see if you interact online and not in person.

Getting more technical about it, even 1 second worth of the data available to you about another person in flesh and blod couldn't fit into a high speed cable internet transmission. There isn't enough bandwidth - yet. In another 20 years that might be a completely different story. Most people don't absorb that much info about another person when they're with someone else simply because most people are so caught up in their own little world that the bandwidth bottleneck is in their own brain. But whatever little does get in, it's still much more than what you can fit into the average cable DSL line.