IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

San Fran Flower and garden show

STEVE IN SO CAL

One of my vendors is comping me a trip this year. Anyone here going, or has been? Is it as good as advertised? I think I might rather see Dick Douglas' garden...

If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

(STEVE IN SO CAL @ Feb. 27 2007,12:50)

One of my vendors is comping me a trip this year. Anyone here going, or has been? Is it as good as advertised? I think I might rather see Dick Douglas' garden...

I go every year.

I spend very little money there but get to talk to a ton of folks about plants.

I enjoy the hell out of it and take a full day off doing what I like, looking at plants.

If you are going there searching for palms, you probably will be disappointed. THere are a few tropical vendor there but it is generally commercial stuff. The Jap maples are geat, if you like them, but they are pricey. No show discounts here.

IMHO, it is worth a day at least once. The same sponsor does the same type of show in Seattle, mostly roses at that one.

I'll be attending on Friday (Mar 16th?)

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I have been going for the last 5 years and always enjoy it.  We usually go on Thursday or Friday when the crowds are smaller and often return on Sunday to pick up the bargain plants after noon from the vendors that don't want to take them home (or from the display gardens).  We have a couple friends that are vendors, so Sunday us usually comp.  We usually head straight back to the vendors, then hit the display gardens towards the end as the crowds are way down by then.

Dick's garden is about 30 minutes from the Cow Palace.  You might want to visit the Palmetum in Oakland on the way.

That week will be plant overload for my wife and I.   The weekend before we will be in LA for the SoCal meeting, then working our way back to SF.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

There are a few palms there (pics from last years show):

sf-forum2.jpg

sf-forum3.jpg

sf-forum1.jpg

Brahea 'Clara'

Last year there were two northern California palm dealers that I remember being there.  One of them teamed up with another vendor friend of mine that was selling Balinese stone carvings.  The combination of vendors was quite effective for both I think.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A