IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Chamaedorea radicalis

Scott

Does anybody have experience with these when it comes to sun and winds?

I'm trying to figure the placement of this palm in the garden and would like to place it where it's best suited. All sides of the house get the winds. But some areas are shaded from the afternoon sun in the summer. The only problem though, is that during winter, these are in shade all day long.

Like my Arenga, it will remain potted for a while before planting to make sure it's a good place.

I'd like to hear anyone else's experience with these.  :)

Thanks!

Scott

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Chamaedorea radicalis is pretty much bullet proof in my neck of the woods, but in inland California I would not plant them in full afternoon sun.  I must have about fifteen in the ground, both regular and tree form.  They look their best if they get about a half day sun or less.

They do like their water, though.

When we get really bad Santa Ana winds I often lose a few fronds because they get twisted

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

Fred - How do you tell if it's regular or tree form? Here's a couple pics of mine....

rad01.jpg

radflower.jpg

rad02.jpg

Thanks for any info! This palm a a real beauty, and I want to make sure I get it everything it needs :)

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

I concur with Fred.

The one in your picture looks like a tree type.

They start to stretch upward very early, and don't seem to get the heel that bush types do.

Far as I can tell, both are tough as nails.  Though they like their water, they'll survive a drought.  They'll take temps to about 20 F with no damage.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I concur with Dave.  It's a tree type.

Do you have just the one?  No one should have just one.

I like to plant them in groups of 3 or 5.  That way it's likely I'll have both male and female plants in the group and the "girls" look great with those red seeds.

Fred

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

I have 21 ´trunking form plants that I´ll plant out the following weeks. Do they like acid soils or do they need some dolomite?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I wish they sold these around here. All we seem to get are the Cat Palm and Bamboo palm at the box stores.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Dave - I'm glad to hear it's a tree type. I'm definitely going to try to get it as sheltered of an area as I can.

Fred - Yeah, I have just the one. Seeing how this one does, maybe I'll be able to get some more :P .

Bill - I got this palm - along with my prized Arenga from Danny Lewis. I've never seen anything like these at the local box stores. However - I have befriended the lady who runs the garden center at Lowe's and I tell her about our palm society. She's actually written down suggestions.

Alberto - I'm glad you asked the soils question. What additives are good? My soil is heavy clay, and since I need to ammend, I should get whatever the Cham wants. Any suggestions?

Thanks everyone for all the help! :)

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Hey scott

I concur with the prior concurrance......

I've heard they yellow out with full sun in our area. I'm hot & you're hotter so it's probably even more so.

Pat

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

As far as all day shade is concerned, as far as I am aware they can cope with lower light levels than any other palm, so it shouldn't be an issue.  It would be safer than sun in a windy location, which would add to the drying out of the sun alone.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

(ruskinPalms @ Feb. 28 2007,09:16)

I wish they sold these around here. All we seem to get are the Cat Palm and Bamboo palm at the box stores.

Bill,

If your  the growing from seed type, I can help you out with both forms.

I have the standard form with seed just beginning to ripen and  the trunking form will have seed ready in a couple of months.

I'll try and get a pic over the next day or two.

J.

Made the move to Mandurah - West Aust

Kamipalms,
Growing for the future

I concur with most of what's been said, however I've found that once established, C. radicalis is very drought tollerent, but it does best with ample water in the warmer months.  I've also found that C. radicalis and microspadix will take more sun than most Chamaedoreas, but they look better with afternoon shade. I've also found that C. microspadix doesn't like chemical fertilizers if it's too strong a mixture. A slow release such as fish emulsion seems to be best for microspadix.  C. radicalis is so tough, I think you could pee on them and it wouldn't hurt them, though I don't recommend this.

Both species come up all over my garden where they can find moisture and some shade.  I dig up the ones that are coming up where I don't want them, and pot them up.  C. radicalis usually only holds a few fronds, so I plant 5 or 6 seedlings (3 or 4 fronds) to a 1 gal. pot with the boot growing away from the center of the pot. After a year or so, they are ready to be moved up to a 2 or 5 gal. pot. They make handsom container plants for several years, then when they get over crowded, I plant them in a partially shady spot under the taller palms.

I have both forms of C. radicalis, and I prefer the low growing type as it seems to have wider blades and a heavier texture. The low growing ones seem to be hardier to cold, but maybe it's because the tall growing ones grow taller and are more exposed.

Both C. microspadix and radicalis will take temps. down to the upper teens, and even colder with some damage, but not fatal. I guess I'm biased because they are the only two species that thrive for me in my harsh climate.  Their bright orange/red fruit also adds a splash of color to an otherwise green palm garden.  

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Patrick, Dick & Corey - thanks for the great info.

I have a spot on the east side of the house which would shelter from afternoon sun. But no matter where I plant it, it'll have some wind. I wish the bamboo would grow just a little fast so as to provide the wind break I want.

Dick - you mentioned fish emulsion. Is this an additave for soil? Or how would I find it? Also would it be good for the other palms? Being fairly new, and having thick, mucky, clay soil, I'm always looking for anything to really infuse nutrients into it.

Thanks1 :)

Scott

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Hi Scott,

Fish emulsion can be found at most nursery supply stores. I use it primarly on potted plants, but it can be used for plants in the garden too. I use a liquid fertilizer normally for potted palms, but use fish emulsion 3 or 4 times during the growing season. I was told that it has many of the micro-nutrients and it's a slow release organic fertilizer. It also does seem to condition the soil in potted palms, soil that's maybe getting a little tired from constant watering.

I use a SyphonX (SiphonX), not sure of the spelling, but it's a device you attach to a hose bib, and it meters the concentrate into the hose in a diluted form. I usually add about a cup and a half of fish emulsion to a 5 gallon container of water. Fish emulsion smells bad for awhile after using it, but on hot days the smell goes away in a few hours.  It's high in nitrogen and even though organic and slow release, it seems to release a good bit of nitrogen right away, as the plants seem to green up within a day or two after using it.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas