IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"RAINY" dry season

gsytch

This is the heart of our dry season, yet this weekend we had another 5" of rain. This gives us well over 8" for March. Jan and Feb were also above normal. March has also been on the cooler side, little in the way of heat. Not cold, but not warm. Is this a pattern? It seems like the weather is wacky everywhere. :asleep:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

We haven't had anywhere near that much rain here, but I would guess we have had at least a normal amount of rainfall here recently. It has been nice not have everything drying out too badly, though we haven't had much very warm/hot weather yet, which has also been nice. Looks like the heat begins to ramp up for us this week though. Hope we keep getting regular rains.

Agree that it has been wetter and cooler so far this year than normal. March ends -2 degrees with about +2.50 inches of rainfall so far this year here in Bradenton. Strangely enough, the milder weather has allowed both the Pink and Silver trumpet trees to overlap their flowering seasons. Add in some Jacarandas I spied starting to bloom around downtown last week. Taking advantage of the weather to get a couple yard projects completed before the heat returns.

-Nathan-

I thought March came in a little below normal. Here, it was just 49F this morning after skies cleared last night. It did hit 78F today. California weather. I also fertilized many of the plants in the past week, so I am thrilled it rained so much. The palms loved it.Warmer weather is returning as the week goes on, but nothing hot. Sleeping has been good, too!

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Glad to hear your getting the rain. Just a few sparse sprinkles here - lots of hose dragging going on.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

With all the new foliage growth acting as an umbrella for anything planted underneath, I had to water some plants today, despite the .20" of rain we had yesterday. We have had enough rain in the last couple months, that with the help of diligent watering, the landscape looks incredibly lush and healthy.

I did recently lose my potted Dransfieldia micrantha (and am losing my Rhopaloblaste ledermanniana). About a month and a half ago, we had a really warm, sunny day after some cold nights and the greenhouse heaters were still on full blast. The aforementioned palms were fried severely as were my Cyrtostachys loriae and C. elegans (or hybrid). The Cyrtostachys are fine. The coconut seedlings that were in the greenhouse at the time were untouched. Cocos can take some serious heat as long as they do not dry out.

got another 1/2" on Tue and there is promise of more next tue.....yes, the yard is looking good!

Looking great down the road here as well. perfect spring weather after the nice soaking Tuesday. Noticed the "hint" of summer in the area, and on radar earlier this evening as some isolated showers tried to track west towards the coast. Gulf water temps are hanging around the low/mid 70s per last check. USF spring sale and Palm Sunday.. Get out and enjoy weekend ahead.

-Nathan-

Could still use some rain here. :greenthumb:

The hose dragging continues.

We've been lucky here in Central FL over the last couple of months. We have had just enough good soaking rain to keep it from getting really dry here (some places in Central FL have even been wetter than here). We had 2" of rain at my house during that squall line that hit yesterday and everything looks great. Don't worry Moose, South FL's rainy season should kick off by early to mid May, a couple weeks earlier, on average, than Central FL.

Wanting to double check the start times of the rainy season in FL led me to the wiki page one the climate of Florida. The Koppen-Geiger Florida climate zone map shows a small area of Southeast FL from Jupiter to Boca Raton as Tropical/Equatorial rain-forest. I don't think so!

The southern Florida climate definitely goes toward winter drought, and we have savannah vegetation with gallery forests to prove it. You can see this kind of landscape south of Orlando by driving the Turnpike. North of Yeehaw Junction, it goes through the (unmarked) Three Lakes Wildlife Management Area, pinelands with saw palmetto interspersed with cypress strands and ponds. Farther south, Kissimmee Prairie Preserve State Park with near-lawns of mixed saw palmetto, grasses, and runner oak.

Vero Beach needed little irrigation this winter, and the yard plants came into spring in unusually good condition. Many palms are flowering.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

We're 9 days now without a drop in Palm Beach County. :hmm:

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hot, humid and dusty the past week here also. Sterilite containers I use to collect rainwater off the front roof are dry for the first time this spring. Brief storms that popped up east of town around sunset were a nice preview of the summer ahead. Noticed the W.U. models are suggesting a tropical something developing in the E. Pac. 300+ hours out. Earlier runs a few days ago had that stuff trying to form in the Caribbean, just south of Cuba and Jamaica. Just about that time of year again.

-Nathan-

We need rain here too and it looks like we are going to get it the next few days. Yesterday's storms were a start, but were far too isolated to give a good area-wide soaking.

I think yesterday was the first day of summer. It was 92F then a good late afternoon thunderstorm dropped an inch of rain. And now it is very humid this morning.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Rain stayed away yesterday and provided quite a light show to our east late into the night last night. Surprised Orlando got away with around an inch, looked quite impressive on radar. interestingly, NOAA was picking up rainfall rates between 2-4" per hour just south of Bartow around 9pm. Hot, sticky and still awaiting rain here at the coast.

-Nathan-

Edited by Silas_Sancona

It has been a while since it rained for me. I believe two weeks now. After a wet March, April has been atypically dry. Perhaps an inch has fallen. Jealous of all the big storms falling in central Florida! Chances are up for us the next few days. :hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

We have had two inches of rain in the last 2 days! Everything flora-related around here looks great. I wish we could skip the painfully dry spring here every year (as we mostly have this year). Bring on a nice wet summer.

12 days and not a drop. Some plants showing a little stress, dragging of the hose continues ... :crying:

What a difference a day makes!!

Awaiting another batch of rain coming in off the Gulf after receiving 2+ inches today here at the house. Had two Tornado warnings issued during the afternoon while at work, one of which was tracked moving N.E. over Lakewood Ranch and just east of the Nursery. Noted lots of rotation in individual storms as they passed overhead before the sky opened up. Minor ponding aside, a much welcomed deluge. Just missed the 5-8" of rain that flooded parts of Tampa.

A Friday night, for the frogs.

-Nathan-

Yes, Tampa Bay got it but good. 1 1/2" on Friday, and for the past two hours we've had moderate to heavy rains, with more bands in the Gulf headed ashore. This will easily go down as one of the heavier rains for spring in some time. Lush does not even say the word for us. Hopefully, a dry, sunny Sunday to get some yard work done. :yay::yay::yay::yay::yay::yay:

No rain for weeks but 2.5" in the past two days. Hallelujah!

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

and there was more rain! almost 3". beautiful, sunny and light breeze today...yes!

• 2 weeks later...

27 days and no appreciable amount of rain. Then yesterday - bang, over 3" of much needed nectar from the gods :wub2: