IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Florida Question from the PalmTalk FaceBook Page

Kim

If anyone can reply to this question either here, or on the PalmTalk FaceBook page, it would be appreciated!

Good evening, I have several single, double and triple foxtail palms planted throughout my yard in Clearwater, Florida. I have recently noticed that a single trunk on one of my triples has yellow saw dust like strands protruding from the base and the lower fronds are browning. The new spear appears healthy. From the research I've done I believe the palm may be infested with borer's. Any suggestions or thoughts on how to save this palm and prevent further infestation of my other Foxtails, Alexander's, Adonidia and Queens is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
Nicole and Mike

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Sounds like a borer. The palms (all of them) need to be treated as quickly as possible with a systemic insecticide.

My experience with these is death of the palm, by the time you notice it it's to late.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

I agree Jody, the sooner the better.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I have a Foxtail double & one had the same symptoms of borers a few years ago. I treated it heavily with Imidocloprid systemic & it never skipped a beat.

-Randy

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Thank you all for your responses, I will pass them on to Nicole and Mike. :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Sometimes you can deal with borers the old-fashioned way: by sticking a piece of wire up the hole and squashing them.

The trouble with that is that it's not always easy to tell how long of a wire you need.

The great part is you get to see the [expletives][expletive] DIE!!! :evil:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Sometimes you can deal with borers the old-fashioned way: by sticking a piece of wire up the hole and squashing them.

The trouble with that is that it's not always easy to tell how long of a wire you need.

The great part is you get to see the [expletives][expletive] DIE!!! :evil:

I'm clicking the "like" button :)

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.