IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

yatay x jubaea F1

sonoranfans

I have this little yatay x jubaea F1 from patric shafer, probably from Dick Douglas Garden. It is showing signs of a yatay blueish tinge. This might be an advantage of this cross, but I have two and only one shows the blue at this time.... I don't need a palm this cold hardy, but I want it anyway, LOL! I will find a spot for it if I have to clear with a chainsaw, LOL! these are not so easy to find, I don't know anyone other than patric who offers this hybrid.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Yatay are really tough and are my favorite butia. They usually tend to grow taller and have a more tropical appearance than other butia. Great hybrid in my opinion!

Very nice! How would you get one??

tom

Patric's email is

coolhybrids@wildblue.net

he may take a few days to respond

I would get a couple as only one of mine shows the blue tint. At any rate they are pretty cold hardy as I understand it, good below 15F for sure.

Tom Blank

Below 15F? Is that your guess? I've got also one from Patric. It is just about as big as yours.

Marcel

Its a conservative guess as both parents handle below 15F. Im not going to claim something that I have never seen. BxJ have been known to survive to 10F, but hybrid variability will likely create some uncertainty.

Tom Blank

I would imagine that the hybrid would be larger and more vigorous than than the standard butia x jubaea hybrid; since Yatay is the largest butia. Is it much faster growing; my Yatay have outgrown Capitata seedlings in my enviroment but I don't expect for that to be true everywhere.

Do it Marcel! That must be the first in Switzerland. I have one too but it's going to stay in its pot a little longer.

I am thinking about planting it out next year. Here in my place, in Switzerland!

Really? In Luzern? I know on the southern end of the Zugersee near Walchwil and Arth it stays protected and warm, but on the Vielwaldstattersee at Luzern, I wasn't aware you got the same protective influence of the deep relatively warm waters. What was your ultimate low this winter? 2010? 2011?

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

I don' live right on the lake. Actualy I live in the contryside 30 km away from the city of Luzern on a south west facing hill. The lows of the last three years were, -7C last winter(unusual warm, no prolonged freezes) -13C in 12/13, -18C in 11/12 which was the coldest for many decades. Palm protection is for us here the most winters necessary.

Marcel

Awesome. Good luck. :) You live in a beautiful place.

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F

Here's a picture of my little guy. I got it as a strap leaf seedling and it has really taken off.

post-6290-0-27724100-1395935088_thumb.jp

That is a really beautiful palm, it seems to grow faster than a pure Yatay. I have frown them form seed and though they germinate well and withstand abuse they don't seem to grow as fast as the hybrid from what I can tell anyway. How old is your palm?

Thanks

I don't know its exact age. I got it in spring 2012 as a strap leaf seedling. It didn't do much during summer '12 and this is what it looked like in fall '12.

I was quite dissappointed but then in 2013 it threw out one frond after the other and was indeed as fast or faster than a similar sized yatay of mine.

post-6290-0-97615300-1395996846_thumb.jp

Edited by Flow

Been trying to find that list of all of Patrick's hybrids....does anyone remember that thread .....search didn't work. Thanks

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I understand there is a form of Jubaea, the leaves of which tend more towards blue than green. Presumably offspring, possibly even hybrids, would be true to form. Has anyone ever tried creating a Butia/Jubaea cross using a blue-leaved Jubaea as the parent?

Woodville, FL

zone 8b

• 3 weeks later...

I have this little yatay x jubaea F1 from patric shafer, probably from Dick Douglas Garden. It is showing signs of a yatay blueish tinge. This might be an advantage of this cross, but I have two and only one shows the blue at this time.... I don't need a palm this cold hardy, but I want it anyway, LOL! I will find a spot for it if I have to clear with a chainsaw, LOL! these are not so easy to find, I don't know anyone other than patric who offers this hybrid.

I'll give you a hunnerd dollars plus shipping for it right now. I need a palm that cold hardy.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Been trying to find that list of all of Patrick's hybrids....does anyone remember that thread .....search didn't work. Thanks

David,

You should email him an ask for an updated list and prices as his list definitely changes from time to time.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

This is very true, he had some new hybrids coming along that were not ready when I spoke with him last.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I have a 15 gal i'm going to plant out in a couple weeks. It's a fairly fast grower.

It's really getting a nice bluish tinge to it.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks

I don't know its exact age. I got it in spring 2012 as a strap leaf seedling. It didn't do much during summer '12 and this is what it looked like in fall '12.

I was quite dissappointed but then in 2013 it threw out one frond after the other and was indeed as fast or faster than a similar sized yatay of mine.

post-6290-0-97615300-1395996846_thumb.jp

So, mine was planted in Brissago (CH) this spring. And this is what it looks like:

DSC_5629_zpsdquklypo.jpg

Oh, wait, here it is;-D

DSC_5628_zpssmyponin.jpg

DSC_5634_zpsldlmyv9m.jpg

DSC_5630_zpskajv0nsr.jpg

cheers

Edited by Flow
  • Upvote 2

It was no problem for me. The shipping took maybe one week to ten days. But there is still a small risk that it could be stopped by the customs.

Marcel

Marcel, it is somewhat greyish but it was also cloudy when I took the pic. 

When I ordered my JxS this spring Patric told me it could take 10 days to 3 weeks(!). Well, I was lucky and it arrived within 8 days. 

Edited by Flow

Thanks

So, mine was planted in Brissago (CH) this spring. And this is what it looks like:

Oh, wait, here it is;-D

DSC_5628_zpssmyponin.jpg

cheers

Does this mean you gave your beautiful little palm away? :huh:

My photos at flickr: flickr.com/photos/palmeir/albums

I did indeed and I even gave it away for free!
However, only under the condition that it must be publicly accessible, or at least that I myself could go and see it anytime I pleased. I think that spot fulfills my requirements rather well.
If you (or anyone else for that matter) ever plan to visit Ticino or the Isole di Brissago you should totally check it out. It is just below Brissago post office.

I am now growing the JxS until it becomes too large (and then maybe I'll find another sweet spot in Ticino:-))

Edited by Flow
  • Upvote 1

I have a 15 gal i'm going to plant out in a couple weeks. It's a fairly fast grower.

It's really getting a nice bluish tinge to it.

Josh - lets see a photo of your planted palm. Don't do a Triode. ;)

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B