IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dictyocaryum lamarckianum

jdapalms

I agree Jerry !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Where do they grow best in cultivation? I've heard they're an absolute no go in South Florida due to low altitude and too many extremes of temperature

It just comes down to ........unreal. Unreal looking! Fake! Can't be! No way possible! Thanks Jerry.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Can't wait until mine are that big. They're growing quite well, maybe I should purchase a couple more!

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Beyond stunning Jerry, thanks for the photo. Mine are still babies, but already showing some great color.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Jerry,

As a friend, I hate to be negative, but other bluish or purplish areas (even the porch!) in the picture suggest some artificial color heightening. I have other pictures of the species taken myself or downloaded that show crownshafts that are sort of purplish like many Pinangas. Here are a couple of pics of one in a Hilo-area garden.

post-279-0-77659200-1395517081_thumb.jpg post-279-0-07688000-1395517084_thumb.jpg

I hope we're still friends!

• Upvote 2

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

George,

I hope you are right, because I have five juveniles planted out. They are in full sun locations, but I have more juveniles in the shadehouse, and I am opening up more shaded areas for planting. I suppose it's also possible that there are varieties within the species that have different coloring, as with Euterpe precatoria, where Jeff Marcus sells a variety with a variegated crownshaft and varieties with orange crownshafts are reported.

Mike Merritt

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

I should add that, even without an electric blue crownshaft, this is one of the most striking large palms in the world. The shape of the crown is unique and quite pleasing. Everyone with enough space should try one.

Mike Merritt

FYI - I have found that like many of the large Dypsis, the crownshaft color will vary a bit from frond to frond - with the most vivid color usually occuring immediately after an old sheath falls off. And yes Mike, there does appear to be some variability between individuals, unless the differences in the three I am growing are due to growing conditions.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Simply stunning palm! My two are still tiny but as of last October were doing fine.

Thanks so much for the photos.

post-4111-0-75495400-1395614432_thumb.jp

Cindy Adair

Dean's garden, 2009 (no photoshop or pic adjustments).

D. lamarckianum is an amazing palm. - gmp

attachicon.gif100_0472.JPG

I thought of growing natives when we first moved into our home, but when you see threads like this i'm glad I didn't, thanks so much for the pics

Paul :winkie:

Thanks for posting Jerry. Wow stunning, can you imagine a forest of those.

aloha

If I had more time on my upcoming trip to Ecuador, I'd visit the Amazon side of the Andes where in some places they grow in abundance. I can't wait to get back to the ranch to see how much my seedlings have grown in probably the best climate for them outside their native range in 9 months.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Jerry, here is some pics I took 1 week earlier while staying at your spectacular garden. No photoshop here. When I saw this it was unbelievable! Your garden is world class. I still have not seen everything after 4 days. I will post more pics when I get my head screwed on straight.

post-112-0-18855800-1395604749_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-79433000-1395604754_thumb.jpg

post-112-0-24774800-1395604760_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

Another palm worth moving for.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Well after many years drooling over these palms I have finally got one in my hands, thanks again Kennybenjamin :drool::drool::drool::drool:

post-7381-0-41679700-1396158915_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-64570900-1396158934_thumb.jp

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 2 years later...
On 3/30/2014, 6:56:08, comic097 said:

Well after many years drooling over these palms I have finally got one in my hands, thanks again Kennybenjamin :drool::drool::drool::drool:

post-7381-0-41679700-1396158915_thumb.jp

post-7381-0-64570900-1396158934_thumb.jp

How are they doing in Brissie?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On Saturday, 22 March 2014 5:22:13, jdapalms said:

This is got to be one of the most beautiful palms in the world.

post-420-0-79049300-1395469110_thumb.jpg

Jerry, since your on PT right now I thought this was a good time to ask, I notice on yours the knockout colour isnt just on the new C/shaft its also on the old 1 and a tad of the petiole.

Out of the many I have grown from seed 1 has had  since a 1 leafer a red purple colour on quite a bit of it , I grew it up then planted in in a 12" tub with fast drainage and it now has 3 leaves and a good size spear.

I never plant this time of year ,but just had to put her inground in a Primo position, a few weeks ago, she's lookn good.

Sorry I cant add any pics yet till I get a new computer    but   do you remember if yours had great colour from the "start"

Look fwd to yr reply.

All best  Pete :)

• 2 years later...

Here's my lone remaining one.  Almost all of the ones in Leilani died from the SO2 during the eruption - this one survived I think because the Banyan Tree protected it.

DSC00040_1.JPG

• Like 6

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

1 hour ago, Justin said:

Here's my lone remaining one.  Almost all of the ones in Leilani died from the SO2 during the eruption - this one survived I think because the Banyan Tree protected it.

DSC00040_1.JPG

Sorry to hear you lost most of your palms. I have still not even acquired one for myself yet I know I’d be heartbreaking if I lost  even one of my palms.

Here’s mine in Ventura, CA. Oh wait....dammit, this is just a purple king. The closest I can come (color wise) where I live. :huh:72A9B0B3-5245-4D1D-A1AA-53D7A32FA618.thumb.jpeg.9fc362574d6edc23eddc276ce13a3676.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Ha Greg, you freaked me out....but just for a second!

My D. lamarckianum have started to grow a bit faster as of late including gaining some girth as well. I thinned out some of the canopy and that seemed to help, well at least that is my perception. I do have challenges with the fronds on a couple of them though. One emerged and grew so fast the petiole collapsed, but the palm powered on and the subsequent frond looks just fine. On another of the four in the garden, the new frond came out almost totally dried out, but again, the subsequent frond is looking healthy. We did have a long spell of damaging wind and that might have had something to do with it, but who knows. Anyway, I feel fortunate I can grow them at all considering my low elevation and fairly warm year around temps. Must be the constant Hilo rain. 

Here are a few photos. 

Tim 

P1070017.jpg

P1070018.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Kevin, these particular palms seem to come and go, you'd have to check with local vendors. When they are available, you get them while you can.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

These are so beautiful but so hard to find. It seems that I miss the opportunity every time