IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ganoderma

SunnyFl

Down at a local nursery today, I was told that mature roebeleniis have been dying of ganoderma - a number of instances of this around town.  Now I'm quite worried, as one of my favorite palms is an older roeb, front and center in my yard.  I love looking out the window at that palm.

This is very bad news, if the problem is widespread.  Roebs are one of our most common palms, but the grace they give to a garden should not be underrated.

St. Pete just wouldn't look like St. Pete without them :(

We're always careful not to injure the trunk of ours, and never use shears to trim it without bleaching them first.  But that's still no guarantee they won't get it.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Bret,

This disease probably isn't a problem in California?

Ganoderma butt rot is caused by the fungus Ganoderma zonatum. This fungus degrades or rots the lower 4-5 feet of the trunk.

here is a link

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PP100

Here is one that has just recently been discovered ,that I am sure all the queen palm haters will relish!

http://urbanforestry.ifas.ufl.edu/Queen%20Palm%20Disease.pdf

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Ganoderma is like a form of lethal flu for palms and other plants. It is a pink rot that will form usually where the trunk meets the ground and look like a fungal growth hemispherical in shape. It may take a few years to kill a palm, but you will see its strength slowly decline. It is technically a virus that spreads through the soil and there is no cure. One person mentioned that you should remove 100 cubic yards of soil around the palm and sanitize the entire area to cure this ailment. For most people this is a bit too much work, nor can it be done due to other plants in the area. I can tell you what I have seen die from Ganoderma:

Syagrus:

romanzoffiana

coronata

amara

Dypsis:

lutescens

Phoenix:

roebellinii

I am sure that many other genera and species are susceptible.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Would it not be easier to remove the most precious plants, remove the soil from the root ball, then keep them in pots while the soil has the virus active.  I realise this won't remove the virus from the soil, but most viruses that can't find suitable hosts, either go dormant or mutate.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Christian,

Add Acoelorrhaphe to the list.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(cfkingfish @ Feb. 26 2007,01:33)

Ganoderma is like a form of lethal flu for palms and other plants. It is a pink rot that will form usually where the trunk meets the ground and look like a fungal growth hemispherical in shape. It may take a few years to kill a palm, but you will see its strength slowly decline. It is technically a virus that spreads through the soil and there is no cure. One person mentioned that you should remove 100 cubic yards of soil around the palm and sanitize the entire area to cure this ailment. For most people this is a bit too much work, nor can it be done due to other plants in the area. I can tell you what I have seen die from Ganoderma:

Syagrus:

romanzoffiana

coronata

amara

Dypsis:

lutescens

Phoenix:

roebellinii

I had a shelf type fungi that develped on a mature queen (25 ft)and eventually  I had to take it out as well as one nearby. I have not planted any palms in this locale.....

Also - I lost a very large  D. lutescens in the same area(it was 15 ft tall and had probably 10 trunks....arrrgghhh)this palm was within 4 ft of the queen......

Another smaller (8 ft with 8 trunks)D lutescens got the fungus . I chopped off the trunk/s affected along with some root structure and then soaked the area with fungicide. This palm is now doing quite well and I have no sign of fungi.I did the spring  before the Hurricanes of 2004. No sign since of the fungi......It is /was about 50 ft from the killed trees.....

I was told fungicide would not work by several people ... I tried it anyway.....so far so good !

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

(weldertom @ Feb. 26 2007,21:03)

Another smaller (8 ft with 8 trunks)D lutescens got the fungus . I chopped off the trunk/s affected along with some root structure and then soaked the area with fungicide. This palm is now doing quite well and I have no sign of fungi.I did the spring  before the Hurricanes of 2004. No sign since of the fungi......It is /was about 50 ft from the killed trees.....

I was told fungicide would not work by several people ... I tried it anyway.....so far so good !

Please tell us, what fungicide did you use?

That would be incredible - if a "cure" were found, because the thinking has been that this dreaded palm-killer has no cure.

(cfkingfish @ Feb 24 2007,01:33)

I can tell you what I have seen die from Ganoderma:

Syagrus:

romanzoffiana

coronata

amara

Dypsis:

lutescens

Phoenix:

roebellinii

You can add S. palmetto to the list. :(   Last summer, on the corner of 66th St. & Tyrone Blvd, by the - um - Bob Evans? some restaurant, there was a S. palmetto - about 25' tall, so it was an established one - and it was totally dead.  While waiting for the light to change, I looked at the trunk, and there at the base was the ugly conk.  Big shelf-like whitish thing.  Sad.

St. Pete

Fungicides are a short term solution.  Ganoderma, by nature, affects the plant's "plumbing".  It can take years from the time the plant is infected until death.  The visible conch shaped growth outside the plant is a sign of a well established disease.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(Ray, Tampa @ Feb. 27 2007,07:04)

Fungicides are a short term solution.  Ganoderma, by nature, affects the plant's "plumbing".  It can take years from the time the plant is infected until death.  The visible conch shaped growth outside the plant is a sign of a well established disease.

Ray

True ...... The conch is  the manifestation of a long slow sickness..... but........ how long ?

Been three years now and no sign whatsoever of the dreaded  Ganoderma and aforementioned D. lutescens is doing fine...... --  I feel so dirty  even saying the word - Its almost like saying you got VD or something.... :(

..... I believe I used Daconil.......

BTW - I am by no means making a claim to cure here...........just my personal experience....

And I am not qualified to make a claim as such !  :)

Melbourne Beach, Florida on the barrier island -two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean and 6 homes from the Indian River Lagoon

Please, can someone tell me what the northern limit of Ganoderma is on the east coast of the U.S?  Thanks,   merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

It can hang around for years. We still have it sporadically appear and kill palms. In the past we have lost the following to Ganoderma;

Acrocomia totai

Butia capitata

Caryota urens

Dypsis decaryi

Jubaea chilensis

Phoenix dactylifera

Phoenix reclinata

Syagrus romanzoffiana

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Is this at Leu?

That's very sad.

St. Pete

(merrill @ Feb. 27 2007,23:49)

Please, can someone tell me what the northern limit of Ganoderma is on the east coast of the U.S?  Thanks,   merrill

I'm sure one of the others could give you a more precise answer, but until they do, here goes......

I saw a distribution map - and cannot find it anywhere.  Had a copy of it on my laptop, which has died so I can't access the file.

If I recall, there were instances as far north as NC, at least the S/E part.  Also found in Georgia.  But the heaviest concentrations were in South FL, S/W FL and (unfortunately) the Tampa Bay area.  I doubt that this is a result of climate - my guess is, the heavier concentrations are just due to a larger number of palms planted in these areas.  But I'm only guessing.

I hope the Dept. of Agriculture is trying to find a cure for this disease.  It's dreadful.

St. Pete

Yes, this is at Leu Gardens. It has been around since the late 1980's when many freeze damaged Queen Palms with injured trunks fell victim.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

(Eric in Orlando @ Mar. 01 2007,12:03)

Yes, this is at Leu Gardens. It has been around since the late 1980's when many freeze damaged Queen Palms with injured trunks fell victim.

Eric,

Just curious what you know about this new disease ,which seems to be only affecting Queen palms?

http://urbanforestry.ifas.ufl.edu/Queen%20Palm%20Disease.pdf

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Ganoderma is a fungus,not a virus.  It is mostly soil borne but the spores are air dispersed.  I see it most commonly on D. lutescens that have been thinned.  If you plant D lutescens in Florida I caution you to never prune the woody stems as this leaves too much decomposing tissue as an entry point.  Once a stem develops wood you should not cut it, but I believe you can cut all the emerging shoots before they develop wood.  Also because these palms are commonly grown with several seedlings in the same pot, it may take years to kll the whole clump because of the lack of vascular connection between the palms.  If your palm has ganoderma, remove the palm, destroy all the tissue if you can, sterilize all your tools and never plant a palm in that area again.

Ganoderma is a parasite in palms but is a very common saprophyte (consumes dead tissue) on woody trees.  Any logs left laying on the ground will quickly develop ganoderma conks.  (might not be the same species though)

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds