IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms in Motion, Biennial Prep - Coverage of the Spring 'Ganza in So. Flo.

Palmarum

- 11:33AM - While lunch started, activity continued around the sales area. In the holding area, Crafton was giving instruction on how to graft.

DSC_0400.jpg

- It would be hard to find a better instructor on grafting, as Crafton has perfected the skill to an art form.

DSC_0401.jpg

- Just outside the holding area, I saw this Srinark Red Wax Jambu, Syzygium samarangense cv. 'Srinark Red', ready to go on a cart. It was one of a few left in its group, as Jeff had been growing this particular batch of fruit trees for a long time. It has great tasting fruit, sweet and crunchy like an apple. It is hard to see in the photo, but the tree was covered with small fruit in bud.

DSC_0402.jpg

- 12:24PM - The Gabby Express was right on time.

DSC_0405.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:24PM - "Why are you calling my name?" Was the expression I got from Kylie as she and her copilot Sorin cruised along the sidewalk.

DSC_0406.jpg

- 12:42PM - Derek pops in real fast to grab some food before heading back out to the sales area.

DSC_0408.jpg

- 12:51PM - Travis puts Braden in a headlock as they walk the main road after lunch. Soon, Travis will no longer be tall enough to do it again.

DSC_0410.jpg

- A busy moment during Saturday afternoon.

DSC_0411.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:59PM - The pace of the sale slowed down in the last three hours of the day. I went to photograph along the sidewalk for needed cards and signs. There is incredible potential for this palm in S. Florida. Specimens of Euterpe sp. 'Orange Crownshaft' have been growing so fast and have performed so well in a few situations. I wish there were more plants around to experiment with.

DSC_0412.jpg

- A newly opening leaf of Hydriastele beguinii.

DSC_0413.jpg

- 2:48PM - We had been thinking of what to do for a display inside the shadehouse during the Biennial. We are still formulating ideas. One was to arrange a line of palm specimens down the center of the sidewalk. I equally spaced out the remaining palms along one side of the sidewalk to get an idea of how it might look. I sat down to try and take a single point perspective view, with the sidewalk at an equal angle with the shadecloth.

DSC_0414.jpg

- 2:58PM - A late day sale, including a Pinanga coronata, a red Hibiscus, Giant Blue Walking Iris and a few other plants.

DSC_0415.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:58PM - If customers gave out ribbons during the Extravaganza, this Caryota ophiopellis might have won best in show. It had a huge following over the six day event, with many people asking about the palm and complimenting its suitable common name, the Snakeskin Palm. I wish we had many gallons or 3 gallon sized plants to sell under the large one, as we would have gone through a lot of them. There was a lone 7 gallon specimen, but it sold about five minutes into Friday morning, on the first day.

DSC_0416.jpg

- 3:14PM - Jeff assists a group of customers in the latter part of the day.

DSC_0417.jpg

- 3:32PM - The 'old' Old Man Palm, Coccothrinax crinita has stood watch over the side road for many years as part of the collection. When there are Old Man Palms for sale they are placed here, as an exception to the full sun palm section. Every now and then, a landscaper tries unsuccessfully to buy it from Jeff.

DSC_0419.jpg

- 3:40PM - A customer was allowed to bring their vehicle in to pick up a big and heavy Bismarck Palm, Bismarckia nobilis. A few seconds of moving with the New Holland and it was loaded.

DSC_0422.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 4:09PM - "Food..?" It was end of the day and a group of us, along with Dumbo2, were hanging out by the tent in the shadehouse. We were talking about what to do for Sunday and future plans regarding the Biennial. As we were chatting along, Jeff remembered a discovery he made earlier in the week and wanted to show it to us. We followed him to the end of the shadehouse and outside to a spot in the landscape around the corner...

DSC_0423.jpg

- 4:17PM - We made our way to a grouping of tropical flowering trees known as Brownea grandiceps, growing in the landscape area between the two shadehouses. Jeff mentioned in days past he saw something growing underneath that resembled a small seedling, but didn't believe it -- as these trees have been growing here for some time and have never set seed. We didn't think this species could even set seed in S. Florida, as we know local veterans in the world of tropical flowering trees that have never mentioned it before.

DSC_0425.jpg

- The trees have flowered profusely for years but Jeff has never seen a seed before. Crafton's forte in the plant world is tropical flowering trees so he was quick to identify the seedling as Brownea grandiceps. A welcome surprise to be sure. A few seconds later, Crafton found a seed after searching through the mulch. Old or new, we were not sure, but the seed was hard and flat in shape, like a small hockey puck (I should have photographed it, but we became distracted and began looking for more). We continued to search the ground while at the same time looking up into the trees.

DSC_0426.jpg

- 4:24PM - The day ended as we looked high and low for evidence of seeding activity. We found a second seedling growing not far away in between two large rocks. We were astounded. We found what Crafton identified as old seed pods (the brown, long and twisted item that Jeff is holding). It resembled a long leaf that was twisted up tight and dried out. We shared the excitement as we continued to search until it was time to leave for the day. We have to keep a closer eye on these trees from now on.

DSC_0427.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

B. grandiceps sets seed easier than you would think once it gets going. Over at one of the places I work (Jesse Durko's) there's probably close to a hundred seedlings under a tree. All of which have sprouted on there own. In my opinion the problem with this particular Brownea is how big it eventually gets. My personal favorite of the Brownea I have seen is B. macrophylla. I prefer the flowers to grandiceps, plus it seems to be a much smaller tree as far as I've seen.

B. grandiceps sets seed easier than you would think once it gets going. Over at one of the places I work (Jesse Durko's) there's probably close to a hundred seedlings under a tree. All of which have sprouted on there own. In my opinion the problem with this particular Brownea is how big it eventually gets. My personal favorite of the Brownea I have seen is B. macrophylla. I prefer the flowers to grandiceps, plus it seems to be a much smaller tree as far as I've seen.

It is good to know it's not an isolated event, and we were wondering if age played a part in this situation. Jesse's tree is probably larger and older knowing his collection. It would seem Jeff could expect to see more and more seedlings over time, which would be great. Jeff might have to occasionally prune a branch or two off of the trees as they grow into the road, which keeps their size in check. There has always been interest in flowering trees at the 'Ganza and any species have been popular, including the Brownea specimens that make their way to the sales area.

If I remember B. macrophylla is the one found at Fairchild Gardens, by the horticulture offices by the tram trail? It has the flowers that emerge right off of the branches and blooms in heavy shade? I am trying to remember where I might have seen it. I will have to make a note of it and grab a small one if I see it for sale somewhere.

Sunday, March 16th

- 10:12AM - We arrived on the morning of the second Sunday in staggered groups around opening time, 9:00, to find it busy to our surprise. The sales area saw an early surge in activity that I hadn't seen before on a second Sunday. After the usual morning procedures were completed and the booklets were put out, I got my camera ready and shot the typical scene of one early customer looking over the tables.

DSC_0429.jpg

- Jeff got busy answering questions so early he did not have a chance yet to change to a red shirt.

DSC_0430.jpg

- After talking with some of the customers during the day I learned that a good portion of them were new to the Extravaganza. They had chosen the last day to attend for one reason or another.

DSC_0431.jpg

- It is a good sign when customers grab the larger carts on their way in. That is a leaf of a Tahina spectabilis poking through on the bottom.

DSC_0433.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:17AM - Questions answered, done. Landscape planning in the mind, done. Decision making, done. The couple talking with Jeff make up their minds and select the last Bottle - Spindle Palm Hybrid, Hyophorbe lagenicaulis x verschaffeltii from the full sun palm section. It is going to a perfect new spot.

DSC_0434.jpg

- I am going to re-categorize Bromeliads as 'plant eye candy'.

DSC_0435.jpg

- 10:26AM - I think a customer or two were collectors in disguise as they were calling out palm names before reading the cards or seeing the tags.

DSC_0436.jpg

- The last specimen along the sidewalk of Kerriodoxa elegans, a 7 gallon, gets loaded onto a cart.

DSC_0437.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 10:28AM - Had to get a shot of the silver-white leaf undersides.

DSC_0439.jpg

- The Kerriodoxa elegans heads out along with a Alocasia 'Zebrina' and a Brazilian Snow 3 gal., Ctenanthe lubbersiana.

DSC_0440.jpg

- The early crowds were moving about the sales area in a slow relaxed pace, some brought breakfast with them.

DSC_0442.jpg

- 10:31AM - Crafton reads the card belonging to the Cabada Palm, Dypsis cabadae, up at the front of the shadehouse. We were talking about the species unusual taxonomic history when it was originally described from plants growing in the Havana Botanical Garden.

DSC_0443.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:00AM - I was standing up plants out in front of the barn when I noticed the new leaf emerging on the Ficus dammaropis growing in the landscape. It has grown very well in this spot as the plant as been filling the area with its large crown of heavy leaves. The plant was covered with green syconiums. To bad we don't have a tiny wasp to pollinate them.

DSC_0445.jpg

- 11:22AM - Decisions, decisions...

DSC_0446.jpg

- 11:37AM - Crafton handles a customer's range of questions. I think the customer was trying to out maneuver Crafton with some obscure plant info... It didn't work.

DSC_0447.jpg

- 11:42AM - A funny moment along the road. Hard to tell from the photo, but Crafton was darting back and forth in front of the moving golf cart, causing it to stop.

DSC_0448.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 11:44AM - The golf cart was being driven by Frank 'Pops' Searle and Crafton just had to stop him to say hello.

DSC_0449.jpg

- Up at the front, Andrea counts plants as Michelle writes them up.

DSC_0451.jpg

- Andrea makes sure the number is correct and that every plant is sorted and counted.

DSC_0452.jpg

- 11:52AM - A customer had to run back for one more plant so he asked Andrea to watch his excited Beagle for a moment.

DSC_0454.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 12:06PM - Noon had arrived and the higher-than-expected traffic flow continued. On the left, a customer walks up to Larry with his phone at the ready to show him a photo.

DSC_0456.jpg

- The customer turned out to be a friend of Larry's. He was describing the plant seen in the photo.

DSC_0457.jpg

- 1:13PM - After lunch, we expected the activity to taper off but it continued with more arriving in the afternoon hours. The customer on the left was in awe over the Dwarf Betel Nut Palm.

DSC_0460.jpg

- A cart load of flowering Anthuriums and Cordylines. Why get one when you can get all of them.

DSC_0461.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:42PM - The Heliconias all over the nursery were in bloom, including this one growing along the side road, H. cv. 'Iris Bannochie'. This one is constantly cut back to allow plants to be placed around it for the sale, yet blooms regularly year to year, regardless of its size.

DSC_0462.jpg

- Crafton continued his grafting course on and off throughout the day, whenever someone wanted to try it. I have taken his 'class' twice myself, but I still need lots of practice. I have done some grafting, but only on real easy material.

DSC_0463.jpg

- "Cut down, into the stem with significant force, but not into your thumb."

DSC_0466.jpg

- I heard it getting noisy up at the front, so I peaked around from the holding area to see a line forming at the registers.

DSC_0467.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 1:45PM - The fact of an actual line forming was surprising at this time on Sunday. The customers walking over the black truck in behind Randy, had brought in the vehicle to load up their plants and a few bags of fertilizer.

DSC_0469.jpg

- Pops, just chillin' and watching the goings-on.

DSC_0470.jpg

- 2:07PM - Larry helps two customers by bringing their cart down to the holding area...

DSC_0471.jpg

- ... Then loads their plants onto a waiting trailer to take them out through the checkout. Easy, quick and efficient.

DSC_0473.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:09PM - On the right, volunteer Kathy had been manning the registers all day without a break. She is talking to her brother Jeff and niece Michelle as the customers work their way through the checkout.

DSC_0474.jpg

- "Do we head to the Bromeliads next or to the landscape plants?"

DSC_0475.jpg

- Bromeliads it is, for the next stop.

DSC_0476.jpg

- 2:26PM - I was photographing another incoming group of customers when on the left, Karen turned and gestured the customer in the white shirt towards me.

DSC_0478.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:27PM - The end of the Spring Extravaganza was upon us. The last ninety minutes of the sale saw an unusual surge in activity that was reminiscent of the first weekend. We reached the point of the sale where we started taking notes on what to add, what to change, etc. for the next Extravaganza. We always have ideas, just have to see how many of them are practical. To expand the sales area is always an idea, but where in the nursery is always the issue. Jeff and Larry want to work in more avenues of education in forms of displays regarding landscaping, design, horticulture, etc. I keep expecting the 'live music' idea to return, which is always a possibility. More ideas always come up in between the sales so who knows what to expect, not to mention what ideas we get from the Biennial.

DSC_0479.jpg

- "Went through the landscape plants, where to next?"

DSC_0480.jpg

- 2:32PM - I was thinking of placing a smaller cooler with bottles of water along the checkout line so those customers that do have to wait, can get a drink.

DSC_0482.jpg

- Whenever I turned around it seemed, a new person was learning how to graft.

DSC_0483.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:35PM - 'Bazinga!' Travis poses after returning from moving vehicles around in the parking area. Andrea was getting ready to do a late day delivery and needed the truck.

DSC_0488.jpg

- 2:42PM - On the left, Veteran plant person John Maine grabs an Asian Butterfly Bush, Buddleja asiatica, while talking with Jeff.

DSC_0490.jpg

- 2:49PM - Julian to the rescue with the 'Dew. He was helping people all afternoon, by transporting drinks from the barn.

DSC_0496.jpg

- One customer bought out the entire supply of Ptychosperma lauterbachii from the shadehouse and Andrea was going to deliver it after the sale was over.

DSC_0494.jpg

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:49PM - The last day continued right up until closing, like it always seems to do. Jeff was bringing the palms out for Andrea when he saw me and waved. Farewell from the Extravaganza for now... :)

DSC_0493.jpg

*I did have one note about the topic involving the videos, which seemed to work out well for being the first attempt. I know now, that I would need to put aside more time to process them, as they can be massive files (a six minute clip can be 1.2GB), and uploading them can be very time-intensive. I have to see what other plant related events and situations might warrant taking video. I need to work on the way the video camera is attached, perhaps with a light in the future. The aerial videos were very popular and Travis plans on making more in the future.

Ryan

---<

South Florida

Copter Guy needs to record the festivities when the Biennel attendees visit. Get larger SD cards for the Helicopter.

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Copter Guy needs to record the festivities when the Biennel attendees visit. Get larger SD cards for the Helicopter.

He is planning to do some aerial recording during the Biennial. Where and when is still up in the air, no pun intended. He already has the largest memory card he can use in the GoPro camera mounted to the quadcopter, the length of the flight is limited to the life of the batteries.

Ryan

South Florida

- 2:45PM - With the threat of strong winds and tornadoes, some of us sought shelter under the barn. An open structure true, but the most sturdy. I still had about a hundred cards to put out but they had to wait.

DSC_0066.jpg

We spent the next two hours waiting out the deluge under the barn. We discussed what could be done during the Biennial visit if the same weather was going to occur. The ideas kept flowing as the wind and rain blew through the shadehouses and plants. In the end we were lucky, as the storm front moved through during the evening hours and was going to leave Friday morning on the dry side.

Ryan

Great short Ryan. Don't you just love the approach of a big thunderstorm. You can feel the electricity, quite literally as the air becomes charged.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages